MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2002, 06:03 PM   #1
bark3rd
Registered Member

Default New 18" tires rubbing bad-what to do?

Just installed 18 x 9 y2k Cobra R wheels with 275/40/18 BFG KD's ($300 ea) and when I had the car up on a lift noticed the inside of the right front tire was getting shredded. I didnt notice the clearance problem when the tire shop put them on, they looked so bad ***! I cant even feel the rub when turning either but it the shreds dont lie. Is it common to have clearance probs with 18" wheels on 00 GT's? Any fixes? I have figured out not to make tight turns, but anything else?
Black 2000 GT, Vortech SQ trim, 38 lb inj, 80mm Pro-m MAF, MAC prochamber offroad-H, 2 chamber flows, 4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Tokico Illumina 5way front shocks, Steeda sport springs, FMS alum D/S, Nitto 555R's, B&M ripper shifter, Autometer boost and fuel press. gauges: 1st dyno run (final chip not burned yet- pig rich): 364.3 RWHP, 352 RWTQ
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Sounds like they may be rubbing on the swaybar. About the only thing you can do for rubbing on the inside once you've already bought the wheels is try a narrower tire or use a wheel spacer, but with 275's you probably don't have much room to come outward without rubbing the fender or looking funny. Also, too big of a spacer will screw up your steering geometry and cause wheel bearings to wear rapidly.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:35 PM   #3
steedamustang01
Registered Member

I USE TO HAVE A 2000 MUSTANG. AND I BOUGHT SOME 18X7.5 WHEELS WITH 245/40/18'S. THEY RUBBED AT A FULL CUT OF THE WHEEL. I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY. BUT I TOOK MINE TO A WHEEL AND TIRE SHOP AND THEY SAID MY WHEELS WERE NOT THE CORRECT OFF SET. THEN I SOLD THAT MUSTANG AND BOUGHT A 2001. SINCE THEN I BOUGHT STEEDA ULTRA LIGHT 18X9'S AND I WAS AFARID THEY'D RUB TO. BUT I TOOK IT TO A GREAT PLACE CALLED THE WHEEL SOURCE AND THEY SAID I COULD FIT UP TO A 285-35-18 ON THE FRONT AND A 315-35-18 ON THE REAR AND HAVE NO TROUBLE. IT WAS HARD TO BELIEVE SO I JUST WENT WITH A 265-35-18 ALL THE WAY AROUND. AND I JUST LOWERED IT TO. NEVER ONCE HAS IT RUBBED. THE GUYS AT WHEEL SOURCE SAID THAT IF A 18X9 WHEEL RUBS ON A NEWER MUSTANG IT WOULD ALMOST HAVE TO BE THE INCORRECT OFF SET. ARE THESE WHEELS THE REAL COBRA R Y2K'S FROM FORD? IF SO I DON'T KNOW WHY YOUR HAVING TROUBLE, BUT IF IT'S FROM THE LOCAL BOB&TOM'S WHEELS AND TIRES, THEN IT COULD JUST BE THE WRONG OFF SET.
MODS: - Painted Side Mirrors, Straight Pipes, K&N Filtercharger, Modified Air Silencer, Steeda Tremex 3650 Short Throw Tri-Ax Shifter, Saleen MOMO Shifter, Custom Painted Interior, Modified Saleen Racecraft Progressive Sport Springs SLAMMED 3 1/2 inches, Saleen S-281 Wing, Saleen chrome wheels 18x9 front and 18x10 rear, Saleen Locking Lugs, 265-35-ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-S's, White Face Indiglo Gauges, 9007 Silver Star HID Headlights, Personalized Licence Plate " 2L8 I 1 " (To Late I Won), Chrome Bumper Decal inserts, Lowered Windshield Wiper MOD, MAC Offset rack bushings, 5% Limo Window Tint.
steedamustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:23 AM   #4
bark3rd
Registered Member

These are the knockoff Cobra r's but I think I found out what is happening. When I pull in to my driveway I make a sharp right and hit the bump where the slope of the driveway starts-yesterday I heard it rub bad when I pulled in quickly. I will just have to be mindful of sharp right turns followed by sharp bumps I guess. These wheels are made by "Verde" specifically 'for mustangs, I doubt the offsets are off. I think the 275's are just a bit much (the wheel dealer did tell me they use 265's when they sell wheel and tire sets). Of course just like when buying anything for this car everybody had a different opinion about what would work. I hope my mistake being read about here will help some others who are about to get Cobra R wheels to go with 265's up front (the 275's are fine on the rear). Oh well, whats $600 (I'm going to cry now).
Black 2000 GT, Vortech SQ trim, 38 lb inj, 80mm Pro-m MAF, MAC prochamber offroad-H, 2 chamber flows, 4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Tokico Illumina 5way front shocks, Steeda sport springs, FMS alum D/S, Nitto 555R's, B&M ripper shifter, Autometer boost and fuel press. gauges: 1st dyno run (final chip not burned yet- pig rich): 364.3 RWHP, 352 RWTQ
Old 03-15-2002, 11:03 AM   #5
GTJim
Registered Member

I believe your offsets are probably fine, the real cobra R's and the replica's both have the correct offset. The 18X9 inch wheels fit perfectly on all the newer stangs. Your tires are just too big. Keep in mind that the stock tires (245-45-17) are 25.68" in diameter. The tires you put on (275-40-18) are 26.66" diameter, over a full inch taller than stock, which is why you're rubbing.

I know it's after the fact now, but if you would have went with the 275-35-18, which are 25.58" diameter, almost the same exact diameter as stock, there would be no rubbing at all, even with a lowered car.
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra - #2277 of 3867

- MM SFC's, Bilsteins, Rear: H&R race springs, PHP IRS brace, Steeda IRS bushings, Front: MM Coilover conversion w/ Hypercoils
- JBA Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flow catback
- Procharger P-1SC Stage II
GTJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
bark3rd
Registered Member

You play you pay!!!! Its alwyas been this way while modding my car, now I am working on a totally new chip tune to get my car to run right after going as far as I could with a autologic chip and an incompetent tuner. Should set me back another $600.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:43 PM   #7
esandes
Registered Member

Get some quality wheel spacers from H&R and your rubbing problems will go away. H&R make the best springs around so their wheel spacers must be high quality as well.
esandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:04 PM   #8
bark3rd
Registered Member

SInce my wheels only rub when the suspension is compressed,(i.e. when hitting a bump) wheel spacers really help me? How do I know what size to get?
Old 03-15-2002, 05:10 PM   #9
esandes
Registered Member

oh ok it rubs bad when the springs compress. I never heard of that one before..do you have a tonne of stuff in your trunk? No just kidding.

If I was you, I would get new springs. Tirerack.com have good deals on springs but I'd talk to a strictly suspension or mustang shop. They should have guidelines for what width wheel spacer you need for each tire width.
esandes is offline   Reply With Quote