MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2002, 11:12 PM   #1
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

Default Performance chips...can i not let ford know?

Okay...I love my 2002 mustang GT, i love modding it, but that one little thing still stands in the way of me and my car....WARRANTEE!!!! Now lets say I ordered the JET Powertech mod for my 2002 mustang from summit (or another chip you guys recomend), one that plugs inbetween the ecu and the harness, would the ecu "log", or "know" that this chip is there so if I take it to ford, and of course take out the chip first, will there be any evidence of the chip ever being there? In other words, I want stuff, but I dont want to void warrantee, or I want to not let ford know i voided it....Thanks!

Mustang Write Ups
MineralGray02K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:34 AM   #2
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I would think since the chip alters the signals going to the injectors and plugs, etc. Then a tech with a keen eye could tell that the main computer isn't the one controlling the engine. In the computer field we can tell what mods a computer has just by the way it responds to certain things. That, and there maybe something that comes down into the diagnostic port too.

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

what you can do is buy a hand held device that you can pull the exact program from the computer then mod away then if you need to send the car to the shop reinstall the original program and your good to go and they can not void your warranty unless they can prove it was the cause of the problem it`s the law
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:10 PM   #4
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

I see....what about if I buy the chip that plugs into the stock computer, then just simply take it off before I take my car in, is there a way they would know? Thanks

Mustang Write Ups
Old 08-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

If they look at the actual computer itself, they will be able to tell a chip was in it (because you have to clean and sand down the terminals.)
Considering that you have a 5spd, a chip won't really do much except bump your timing anyways. I wouldn't recogmend a chip for your car in its current state.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

which brings back the famous question...whats next for mods that i can get away with w/o voiding?

Mustang Write Ups
Old 08-23-2002, 05:56 PM   #7
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

basically any you can put on warranty will only void if the new parts cause failure they can not void your warranty just because you put on aftermarket parts they have to prove they are the cause of the problem first most aftermarket parts are better than mass produced originals
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:39 PM   #8
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

I never thought of it like that...You're absolutly right. I have a few hundred bucks to spend now that I just paid for this month...Besides 3.73, what is a decent mod i could next? I have the k & n, air silencer mod, and flowmaster 2 chambers...What about pullies? I really want a mod that gives more noticable power. Thanks!

Mustang Write Ups
Old 08-24-2002, 07:00 AM   #9
coolie1
Registered Member

my ford dealer did my chip 4 me will not void warrenty since they did it also had pullies k&n filtercharger x pipe with high flow cats and flowmasters and 373 gears ford did everything but the gears this really help the car without voiding warrenty.
coolie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:55 AM   #10
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I would go with an H or X-pipe with high flow cats. It'll void your exhaust warranty, but who cares? You should see gains of anywhere from 8-12rwhp.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:39 PM   #11
SteveGT
Registered Member

Hey Mineral, I bought the JET performance module for my 98 GT a couple of months ago. I remember choosing between a "stage 1" and "stage 2" chip. I wound up getting the "stage 2" chip, which is burned for vehicles with a high flowing exhaust system.

Taking out the PCM on my car was not too difficult. I can give you simple step by step instructions for the installation if you want.

After driving around with the chip for a few hundred miles, I removed it. Given the limited mods on both of our cars, I don't believe there is a significant gain to be found in PCM tuning.

The first thing you should do, if you haven't already, is get a $15 speedometer calibrator from steeda.com for your gear swap. Your odometer will thank you.

You could also try a RAM-AIR kit that I picked up from Home Depot, I can get you my design if you e-mail me. I backprobed my MAF sensor and IAT sensor before and after the install, and discovered excellent changes in flow and temperature. The result has been great, the car picks up much better and the cost of parts was a little over $15.

Really though, I think the results that you are looking for is in a power adder. NO2 is the cheapest, but from what I hear, beware of the unsafe tune.

Find out as much as you can about mustang performance shops in your area, and hang out there as much as possible. Ask other mustang owners what they have in their cars. No one will mind, most mustang owners I run into love to talk about their mods - that's why we're all here right?

Hopes this helps...
SteveGT is offline   Reply With Quote