MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-26-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Default Is it legal to remove your mufflers?

I'am aware that laws vary from state to state but is it legal to drive with your mufflers removed. I'm not talking about cats. Obviously I know that is illegal anywhere. According to the government you cannot remove a pollution control device. I don't consider mufflers/tails pollution control devices. Also, does anyone know what the legal limit is for loudness. I've heard it's 105db but I'm sure that varies too. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 02:49 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Ever heard of Noise Pollution?

I would guess that if you were to take your mufflers off, it would only be a matter of time before you were ticketed and told to put them back on.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Yeah, noise pollution.... I have several friends that have gotten awards for being the loudest Mustangs in th area..... What I do no understand are the people on Harleys driving up and down the street w/o mufflers on them, but the Oinkers seem to think that's fine. Leave it up to the Cops to be hypocrites....

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 03:25 PM   #4
Rob03
Registered Member

Yeah..gotta hate them cycles at 2 in the morning blasting by...

Cheers,
Robert
Old 04-26-2002, 05:31 PM   #5
96GTPRT
Registered Member

My boyfriends brother who is a couple years older then me used to have a 91 GT with a 347, MAC shorties, MAC no cat H-pipe and 1-chamber flowmasters. Yes one chamber. He got pulled over so many times that he began to drive the car less and less. He had gotten several tickets with that car. I dont know the exact rules here but I know my town has some dumb ones. Our cops will get u for anything. (they are a bunch of pussies really that drive around in Z28's and Expeditions, all pimped out by the way. Yes this is Stuckupville.)
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 09:16 AM   #6
iamthecheeseman
Registered Member

Wink i did it once

I used to own a 92 camaro rs and I was always having trouble with the exhaust. I finally just removed the whole damn thing and ordered a better one. I must have drivin around for a month without an exhaust. No tickets thank god!
iamthecheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:21 AM   #7
Rob03
Registered Member

I don't think having a loud exhaust is bad. However if you abuse it by rev'in the engine as you drive thru some sleepy neighborhood at 2 in the morning...then you give everyone else with them a bad name...and you just want to show off...I personally don't care if someone wants to show off...just do it somewhere that doesn't bother anyone else...alos remember some people have night jobs...so they won't be too happy if you show off at noon either...

Cheers,
Robert
Old 04-29-2002, 09:31 AM   #8
wally6761
Registered Member

normally, a car with loud exhaust doesn't bother me much, but i can't stand 75% of motorcycles. they are annoying! they need some tickets.
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 11:15 AM   #9
jb31
Registered Member

The car shouldn't be to loud with 6 cats on it. I cut the muflers on my 96 GT and have never had a complant. Of course I live in Nebraska where no one really cares about emisions. But like every one said dont tempt fate in town.
jb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:07 PM   #10
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Here in MO it's illegal to not have mufflers. Shoot you're even supposed to have tailpipes here. The exhaust must exit out the rear of the vehicle. But most inspection places never notice because they never look so you can very easily get away with it. On my 96 stang I cut off the mufflers and tailpipes and welded on turndowns that dumped in front of the axle. Sounded really good and was not that loud. You'd be amazed how much sound those 6 stock cats soak up. You could hear it at an idle but it just sounded like it had a good catback on it. I had alot of 4.6 owners stop me to see what exhaust set up I had. It REALLY sounded sweet at WOT. After that tons of stangs around here started doing it. I did it on mine because a buddy of mine cut off the tails on his 5.0 and it sounded good. I just went a step farther and cut the mufflers off, too. I've got dumps on my exhaust on the L, too. The inspection guys never even noticed.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:10 AM   #11
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Yeah I thought about doing this because my friend's Camaro (Member MOUSE ON JUICE) removed his mufflers and he is running a ZZ4 350 with no cats and it's really not that loud. I originally thought it would be too loud but his car should be louder than mine. He hasn't been pulled over in the few weeks he's had them off either. 96GTPRT, I'am familiar with Naperville, I live in Arlington Heights (Lots of old farts in my neighborhood just waiting to call the cops on me!) and my sister used to live in Naperville. I'am well aware of how strict rules and ordinances are there to keep it the most perfect town in America (It actually one an award like that a few years back.)
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote