MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-17-2002, 08:07 PM   #1
spyder210
Registered Member

Default more newbie questions

Firstly I want to thank everyone who has the patience and knowledge to help me and others with questions....if it weren't for you all I'd be talking to people who work at Pepboys.

1-I have a 97 stock GT vert. i plan on installing a 2.5 inch american thunder catback....i'm not doing anything else (no headers and no h, x, y pipe) i will also install a densecharger

WILL THIS SETUP BE TOO LOUD? I MEAN I WANT IT TO HAVE A NICE GROWL, BUT WILL IT OVERPOWER MY STOCK MACH 460 CD/STERIO SYSTEM? PLEASE HELP

2-Next, i plan to mod my car with the above, as well as a chip eventually....what chip and why? i've heard good things about superchip and diablo chip....any feedback

once again thank you all so much!!!
spyder210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:28 PM   #2
jwmustangin
Registered Member

Talking throwing in my 2 cents worth

Hey man, this might help you.

I have a 2001 gt hardtop with series 40 flowmasters on it and it also has the mach 460 sound system just like your ride. Keep in mind that the gt has 2.25 diameter pipes stock. (I just had the mufflers only welded in. It is a lot cheaper to go this route, unless you're looking to expand your exhaust a 1/4 in. from the converters all the way out to the tailpipes.) My mufflers do not override the mach sound system (as we all know the mach kicks @ss). The flowmasters are notorious for the "drone" at around 2100 rpms when the car is pulling, but it is not enough to drown out the mach. In my opinion, you'll like what you hear both ways (music sound and motor sound) if you do the flowmaster setup!

As for the chip, I'm not so sure. I've heard good things about the folks at Superchip. I've thought about doing this to my car. If I did do this to my car, Im not sure if I would get them to do a custom burn or just tell them my computer's code and let them do their ordinary thing with that info.

Hope this helps. If anybody notices any misguidance (or has a different opinion) here, please let me know or post so we can help each other out!
jwmustangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:43 AM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

It won't be to loud, in fact you will want the H/X pipe later to make it growl more. My wife thought it would be to loud with the top down, now she tells me to keep it at around 2000 rpm to here that wounderful drone. The car is actually pretty quiet up to 1500 rpm and after 3000 rpm, that is untill you get on it!! Chips not 100% sure but I hear the diablo is great, best to find a dealer for whatever chip you get that is in your area so they can tune/change it settings if needed. Also, about the nitrous, the one response about the new Noszel kit being 1500 bucks, It's still half the blower initial cost and won't blow up your intake(expensive to fix ). Also, look into the ported head/intake swap for our year car ( 1,500 ), they say it is good for 60 - 100 hp depending on set up. Check out DTA racing.com!

good luck!!
Old 06-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #4
jwmustangin
Registered Member

Talking X-pipe?

Yea, I'll agree with the surfbeast on the x-pipe issue! I've just gotten a bassani x-pipe with cats in and I'm waiting on an exhaust flange gasket so that I can put it in trouble-free. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. If I don't like it though I will sell it, so everyone keep their eyes open within the next few weeks!
jwmustangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 05:27 PM   #5
wally6761
Registered Member

i'd get a new throttle body before a chip. the chips don't seem to do much by themselves from the tests i've seen. and they're expensive!
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:07 PM   #6
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Yeah man, you'll want to get the X-pipe eventually. I had just the Flowmaster cat-back and when I first got it I was like oh my god this is loud, then after a while, I thought I couldnt even hear it anymore so I had to get and X-pipe. Also I would screw the chip and wouldnt even go with a throttle body...instead get some pulleys, they will be a good bang for the buck.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
southernstang97

Default superchip

I have everything on my 97 hardtop gt that you where saying you are not sure about. I have a superchip on the car and it does add good little bit , there is not to many mods that you can buy for $250.00 that really addes 20+ horses. And you should not get the throttle body before the chip , that does not even give you 7 horse going down hill , I have bbk 70mm and with out that chip I would have not gotten it !!! But you will not be happy with the sound of the car till you get the h,x-pipe. It by no means is over powering , will give you the noise you are looking for !!!!!!
And I see where people are telling you not to get the chip , like I said above , for your buck you will get more horses then if you got pullies , but you will need to get the pullies THEY ARE A MUST!!!
But like I have said on this site before to many people , that when you start to mod your stang you will not stop , I said i would just get pullies and then it just kept going and going , now I am waiting on a set of PI p/p heads , so you can see where i am going with this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your stang , burn some rice !!!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #8
spyder210
Registered Member

Default h/x pipe

Hi, you are all saying that I won't be happy until i get the h/x pipe....wat type do you all reccomend....keep in mind...i need it to HAVE the cats cause my dad is against me illegally moding the stang.......thanks again..

also, i think i will prob go with the normal everyday superchip...i heard it can to alot to liven up automatic trannies....

and lastly, what pullies do u all recoomend? the MAC billet steel ones seem to be well priced? wat's up?
spyder210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:22 PM   #9
96GTPRT
Registered Member

The Steeda Pulleys are real good. Remember, low cost isnt always the best part. Sometimes you have to save up a littleand fork out a little more for good, quality parts.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 03:08 AM   #10
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Exclamation

I saw that you said you want to keep cats, you will like the Flowmaster American Thunder exhuast, but it is barely louder than stock. I have heard GT's with X-pipes and cats, there not too loud. I have the Flowtech X-pipe without cats and its way to loud for daily driving. As far as chips go.... i got the Hypertech Power Programer III, it works very well with BBK pullies, together they dropped my 1/4 time a full second. The Programer is easy to use, but the one downside is that it sets the car up to run on 93 octane, and all i can get around here is 91, even with octane booster the car still pings under extreme accleration. Hope this helps in making your decisions.
afeezor97 is offline   Reply With Quote