MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-18-2000, 06:50 PM   #1
97GTSTANG
Registered Member

Question Cutting Mufflers? GEARS?

I have a 97GT and I am planning to cut the mufflers on the stock system, are there any downside, or affect, and is it legal? I also have a question about gears. I bought the car 3months and i dont know what gears the car have now. Does anyone know. In 70MPH it goes to about 2100RPM, in 80MPH it goes to about 2300RPM. Its a 5speed. Is that normal. and if i get a 3:73gears what will the rpm be at when at those speeds?

Thanks for the replies, i know its a lot of questions.

--------------

97GT Stang 5spd
Black on Black
PRO 5.0
BBK 1.5" Drop
35%TINT
K&N
Clear Corners

[This message has been edited by 97GTSTANG (edited 05-18-2000).]
97GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2000, 08:22 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Cutting the mufflers is illegal (in most places) on the street. It'll be loud, but no real performance gain.

As far as what gears, its on a little tag on the dif. cover, and there's a code on the door. I don't off hand, but I'm sure some one knows what the codes are.

3.73/(your gears) * whatever your current rpm is at what ever speed.

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 05-18-2000).]
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2000, 10:04 PM   #3
T-Bone
Registered Member

What do you mean "cut the mufflers"? Do you mean, go straight pipes from the H-pipe back? 97 Snakedriver is right. There won't be any noticeable gain in performance if thats what your intentions are. It will be louder, but I don't know if it will sound better.
If you want to reduce the restriction of the factory exhaust for more power, the best thing to do is replace that power sucking 6-cat H-pipe, which will also improve the sound. Not a free or cheap mod(not too expensive, either), like cutting the factory pipes, but definitely worth the money.
As far as your gears, it sounds to me like you have 3.27's. I just replaced my factory 2.73's with FMS 3.73's. RPM's were as follows:
2.73's - 5th gear, 70mph, approx. 1900 rpm
3.73's - 5th gear, 70mph, approx. 2300rpm
Yours is right in the middle. I'd have to say 3.27's.

Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot about your car here. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need. There are plenty of helpful people here who have been in the same position as you, and are eager to provide you with good info.

Good Luck

------------------
'96 GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70mm TB, Steeda Tri-ax

T-Bone's '96 GT
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2000, 10:14 PM   #4
97GTSTANG
Registered Member

Question

Thanks for the replies T-bone and snakedriver. Well instead of cutting the mufflers, can i just buy a Flowmaster (2Chamber) muffler and cut the old muffler and replace it with the Flowmaster? Will that make a difference. the muffler alone costs $60, the whole kit costs over $260.
Old 05-18-2000, 10:28 PM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

2 chamber flowmasters and the rest stock is what I have for the moment... I'm redoing the entire exhaulst in about 2 weeks.

It does sound good, and didn't quite cost me $260. $180 total I think. The 2 mufflers were $50-$60 each I think. I don't know, its was about a year ago I did that.

Like I said it does sound better, no noticable performance gain, and there is a draw back. New flowmasters drone like anything at 2000 RPMs. It gets better, but never goes away. On the plus side, they do sound great. For pure sound, they'll work just fine. If you want a little more bite to go along with that bark, it gets a little more pricey...
Old 05-18-2000, 10:30 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Oh yeah! 3.73s will wake that pony up! Its probably the best bang/buck thing you can do. From personal experience the drop in gas milage is minimal at most.

Gears!
Old 05-18-2000, 10:34 PM   #7
BLK99GT
Registered Member

I had my mufflers cut in to the stock pipes at a local muffler shop for $50.I didnt see the point of paying all the extra $ to get a cat-back with the stock H-pipe still on.I think there would be no HP benefit because the cats are the restrictive part,but it did improve the sound.

------------------
1999 GT AOD,FMS 70MM TB,Steeda pullies,Dynomax Super Turbos,MAC cold air kit,Steeda strut tower brace,ATS-III seq. turn signals
BLK99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2000, 10:56 PM   #8
97GTSTANG
Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys. so snakedriver, u think i should buy the whole flowmaster system instead of just the mufflers?
Old 05-18-2000, 11:15 PM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Well, I'm installing an X-pipe that suposityly sounds very bad with flowmasters (chambered), so I'm switching to a Borla cat-back (straight through).

One of the reasons I'm doing the whole cat-back instead of just the mufflers is that the muffler shop that installed the flowmasters installed them poorly, so they kinda of screwed up the post H-Pipe, pre muffler pipes getting them to fit. As long as I'm doing 2/3s a cat-back and everything else, might as well do the whole thing.

It depends on the price, but I know my mechanic will install a complete cat-back for about the same as just mufflers. More bolt'n and move'n, but less welding. Of course the cat-back costs more. It may or may not sound better, but it won't sound any worse.

I think the best idea is to sit back and think about what you want to do with your car in the long run. I would have never installed the flowmaster mufflers, if I had though a head to where I am now and what I want to do later.

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 05-19-2000).]