MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-19-2000, 05:31 AM   #1
97GTSTANG
Registered Member

Question Headers?

Hello everyone.
I am planning to install new shorty headers on my 97stang. i have ordered FMS shorty headers. What should i expect after they are install, will there be a dramatic change in hp or sound. let me know your experience. And are FMS shorty headers the way to go? My goal is to gain as much hp as possible with bolt-on, suggestions are welcome
Thanks for the replies and help

-------------

97 Stang GT 5-spd
Black on Black
PRO 5.0
BBK 1.5" Drop
Clear Corners
35% Tint
97GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 08:33 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Cool

Welcome to Mod Madness 97GT...

I've read your new posts, and while a new X\H pipe and shortys will get you a few horses, my opinion is that you should make the most of the horses that you have now by going to 3.73 gears and a good shifter.

It's one of the best "bang for the buck" mods you can do for your car and will make any new HP mods more effective as the 4.6 likes to live in the higher revs.

Hope this helps...

------------------
98 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Dyno-Max Cat backs, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, FMS pullies, 87mm MAF, Roush cold air kit, Eibach springs, and Zex 75 shot
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 08:57 AM   #3
T-Bone
Registered Member

Call and cancel your order for the headers! They will only add about 3-5 hp for the $270-$305 your dishin' out for em. Plus, if your doing the install yourself, I hear they are a pain in the butt. The only time you would REALLY need them is if you are going with a supercharger or NOS.
Trust me! H or X pipe first. You won't regret it. You can get a nice one for less cash than the headers, and the hp gain is up to 35 extra. It's been proven in magazine comparisons and such. Plus, the H-pipe is a cinch to install.
I think you will be seriously disappointed in your headers for the first mod...

------------------
'96 GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70mm TB, Steeda Tri-ax

T-Bone's '96 GT

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 05-19-2000).]
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 12:59 PM   #4
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

T-Bone's on the money. For the $ and the effort. The HP gain is not worth it. Sure it'll help make you MODS signature longer but it won't help the bottomline as much as saving that money for a SC or a NOS kit.
If we can't convince you call or email STEEDA. They are of the same opinion, save the cash for a real seat of the pants MODS, or my favorite - shifter and gears.
No flames just advice.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 01:16 PM   #5
97GTSTANG
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think i will cancel the order and get the BBK Hpipe with cats. i already have the 3:73gears, i just need to get them installed next week, and i have a PRO 5.0 shitfer already installed. Do u also thing a chip will make a difference.

Do you all think its a good idea to have the mufflers cut off and put a straigt pipe and have the BBK Hpipe with cats. how will the sound and power be?

Thanks for your help guys/gals

Old 05-19-2000, 01:35 PM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

A chip won't do much on a near stock 4.6... save your money.

Some states REQUIRE cats and mufflers for emissions/sound pollution issues, and to be honest, I don't think you'll gain much from just removing mufflers anyway.

Get yourself the full BBK H-pipe setup with high flow cats, and if you've got some more cash to spend, go the whole hog by adding a BBK cat-back system with performance mufflers too...

That way, you'll be happy, and so will the state

Also, don't forget some pulleys as a possible mod too...

------------------
98 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Dyno-Max Cat backs, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, FMS pullies, 87mm MAF, Roush cold air kit, Eibach springs, and Zex 75 shot
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 04:03 PM   #7
T-Bone
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Atta boy, 97GTSTANG! Now your talkin' some sense.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 07:19 PM   #8
Bad Dad
Registered Member

Hmmmmmmmmm?

------------------
99 Electric Green Cobra/Medium Parchment Assembled 04/10/99 1464 of 4040
Tri-Ax shifter, K&N Air Charger System, Nitto DR'S
The FIX PRE 255RWHP & 261RWTQ Post 274RWHP & 275RWTQ After mod's 307RWHP & 304RWTQ
FRPP Shorty Headers, Bassani high flow cat's to x-pipe, Dynomax Ultra flow cat back's, March underdrive pulley's
Bad Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 07:40 PM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The cats are the biggest restriction in the stock exhaulst, followed by the stock manifolds. That's why a cat-back by itself does almost nothing, and headers by them selves only do a little.

If you replace the stock h-pipe and cats then headers make much more of a difference, especially as you open up the intake.

Look at Bad Dad's before and after dyno numbers. 307 rwhp. That's a pick up of 32 hp. I would be very surprised if the headers didn't contribute quite a bit to that.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 08:26 PM   #10
97GTSTANG
Registered Member

so i should install the mac h-pipe with cats and the 2 chamber flowmasters, and the headers will make a difference?
Old 05-22-2000, 09:13 PM   #11
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Yes they will, but the installation is a pain in the arsh. It can take a full day by itself. They'll make much more of a difference later on as you add more modifications, especially blowers.

I'm planning on supercharging later on, so to me its worth while. It depends on how much you are planning to build your car to rather or not it is worth the $$ for the parts and the installation.

If your just planning on adding a few bolt ons to get some more pep out of the car, then I probably wouldn't bother. Hammer is right, pulley will be a much better bang for the buck. If you're really building the car, then the headers are worthwhile.

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 05-22-2000).]
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote