MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-29-2001, 01:01 AM   #1
Texas89GT
Registered Member

Angry Tranny Clunk

I bought a Bullitt GT and have noticed a slight clunk from the xsmn at times. It's like something has play or something loose. It's going in to the dealer tuesday but thought I'd ask you guys if it's happened with the 99-01 GTs.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Texas89GT (edited 09-29-2001).]
Texas89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 08:05 AM   #2
Bushmaster
Registered Member

I think they all do that. We were discussing this at the AustinAreaStangs dinner last week and everyone seems to be experiencing the same noise(s). I know I do in my '01 GT. C'mon down and join us sometime....austinareastangs.com....we had a show last weekend and a bunch of F-bods from Killeen came down. Let's hear from the Stang guys up there.

------------------
2001 True Blue GT
FRPP 4.10s/Abbott ERA
Steeda TriAx
Weld-in Dynaflow Super Turbos
Bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:32 PM   #3
MajorTwit
Registered Member

My '98 did it bad (but the dealer beat it to death before I got it) and my '00 does it a little, especially if there is any torque windup.

------------------
2K GT Stock
FoolRichard
MajorTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 08:58 PM   #4
SteveK
Registered Member

My 98 does it all the time. It really doesn't annoy me. But I first thought it was the U-Joint. But it wasn't. Then I thought it was the trans mount. But it wasn't.

Oh, well. It's not perfect but it's mine.

Steve
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 12:36 PM   #5
bark3rd
Registered Member

Angry

I gotta de clunk too. When letting out the clutch at idle w/ no throttle I can hear the thud, sounded like play in the drivetrain. I could also hear a rattling noise coming from the rear end when going over bumps. I took it to a tranny shop and we put the car on a lift-we could grab the rear wheels and turn it with our hands back and forth about 3" clunk to clunk. we could also grab the driveshaft and wiggle it back and forth about 3" clunk to clunk-way too much play. We pulled off the plate over the gears and found out that the pinion bearing was shot. I have heard that this commonly goes out on late model GT's, I guess its true. Nitrous and hard driving probably didnt help either (I did have redline sythetic oil too). They are now pricing a new pinion bearing assembly which stock on a 00 gt is a 27 spline. The part is $300, labor $300. My mechanic is also going to check out options for a beefier assembly, although going with a 31 spline we will have to change the axles too. I'm hoping that some sort of aftermarket 27 spline pinion will work so I won't have to change the axles. If I go back with the factory pinion set I might as well set an appointment now to have it yanked again in about 8k miles! My car only has 11k on it now. I'm smugly glad that I didnt even bother with trying a warranty repair-screw Ford service I cant even get them to answer the phone. Id rather pay a fellow enthusiast who will let me stand in his bay and watch the repairs! I am in Austin and am using Dyer's on Lamar. The owner has an SS that runs 11's all motor-he gave me a fun ride back to my office this morning-try getting that at Lief Johnson Ford! They would have pulled it apart and denied the warranty repair and stuck me with a much larger bill.
Anyway, I bet you have the same problem. My shifting is notchier than hell too, we are hoping a cable adjustment will help that. Otherwise-well I'd rather not think about it!

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Flowmasters, Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster (11 deg), K&N filter, Nitrous Express w/purge (75shot currently),NGK spark plugs (lower heat range than stock plugs), airbox silencer removed
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 02:22 PM   #6
bark3rd
Registered Member

Please replace "pinion" with "carrier" wherever mentioned in my previous post-I got the two confused. It is the carrier that is toasted. "spider gears" are too. $850 to fix.
What a piece of crap rear end these Mustangs have, I'm going back with an Auburn high performance part thats rated to 650hp but it costs about $300 more than the stock part. Hopefully I wont tweak it again.

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Flowmasters, Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster (11 deg), K&N filter, Nitrous Express w/purge (75shot currently),NGK spark plugs (lower heat range than stock plugs), airbox silencer removed
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote