MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-16-2002, 08:18 PM   #1
apenn

Default Drag Tire/Wheel Advice Please

I'd like advice on a recommended rear tire/wheel package for drag racing. I want DOT tires as I'll be driving to and from the track. Being that I'm a novice racer, the cheaper the better as I'm still learning and I'll have plenty of opportunity to upgrade later (if anyone want to sell me rear wheels which will fit my 2000 GT please make me an offer I can't refuse!). Discount Tire and The TireRack had OEM GT wheels (16x7.5) for about $80 each and I was thinking of putting the BF GoodRich Comp TA Drag radials on them. I was told I could fit 255/50's on these wheels. Total price was $430 for wheels and rims. Any thoughts on this combo? Also, anyone please give me their experiences with buy rear drag wheels and tires. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2002, 11:04 PM   #2
Torinalth
Registered Member

get an 18" rim with atleast a 9" wide tire. go with a toyo proxie TS-1 for the rear. this will give you hardcore grip. it will cost a bit, but if you are getting drag rears then do it right. dont spend cash needlessly.

Torinalth
Old 06-17-2002, 09:35 PM   #3
project2OOOGT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Torinalth
get an 18" rim with atleast a 9" wide tire. go with a toyo proxie TS-1 for the rear. this will give you hardcore grip. it will cost a bit, but if you are getting drag rears then do it right. dont spend cash needlessly.

Torinalth
18's are no good for drag racing!!!!!!!!no sidewall!!!!!! .....................if its gonna be rims and tires you bolt on just to drag race get 15x8 or 15x 10 rims and mickey thompson e/t's............. if its not get the rims you want and put the biggest drag radial you can on there ............. i have 315's on a 9' rim and some say thats too much but i personally have good luck with it ( i will buy more when these wear out ).............remember the bigger the rim(heighth) less sidewall of the tire !!!!!!!!!!! heres you a pic
bassani X
underdrive pullies
hpm subframes
kirban short shifter
mac cai
mac cat back
17x9 cobra r's
315/35/17 nitto dr in the back
255/45/17 kuhmo ecsta's in the front
3.90 gear

auto logic chip is next
project2OOOGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
96GTPRT
Registered Member

The combo you found using the stock rims sounds pretty good, you might be able to get a cheaper combo if you got some Weld drag lites or soemthing but I the one you found would work. DO NOT go with 18's, those are for looks and going around corners, not drag racing.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
apenn

All - Thanks for the advice! ProjectGT - I love those 315's, they look great!
Old 06-19-2002, 11:40 PM   #6
project2OOOGT
Registered Member

Talking

you're welcom and thanx for the props
bassani X
underdrive pullies
hpm subframes
kirban short shifter
mac cai
mac cat back
17x9 cobra r's