MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-2002, 07:25 AM   #1
SilverGT02
Registered Member

Default New Mustang Owner

Hi Guys, Im new to the site (as of today) and Im also new to the Mustang (as of yesterday) I have a question. What can be done (bolt on) to pep up this engine...Its a 02 GT. I currently own a 01 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 (235hp) with an intake system...the truck really moves...but I dont really feel much of a difference (other than handleing) between the two...

Is there room for play in these engines? Im not talking manifolds and cams...just intake, chip, exhaust...etc

Thanks in advance

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sreal22/v...c=ph%26.view=t
SilverGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

You can start with gears (3.73 or 4.10), shifter, and X- or H-pipe. After that you can get underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster, mass air meter, and headers. Catback doesn't add much horsepower but is good for sound. Cold air intakes are pretty much worthless. If your truck FEELS as quick it would just be because it has more low end torque and a softer suspension. Trust me, the stang would smoke the truck hard.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 02:28 PM   #3
SilverGT02
Registered Member

I tend to agree with you. The torque #s are higher on the Dakota, maybe thats why it "feels" quicker...but as we all know tha stang will toast the Dak
Old 06-18-2002, 04:41 PM   #4
StangGT2002

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
You can start with gears (3.73 or 4.10), shifter, and X- or H-pipe. After that you can get underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster, mass air meter, and headers. Catback doesn't add much horsepower but is good for sound. Cold air intakes are pretty much worthless. If your truck FEELS as quick it would just be because it has more low end torque and a softer suspension. Trust me, the stang would smoke the truck hard.
I agree and disagree!

Agree: *Gears, *shifter, *X or H pipe, *underdrive pulleys, *timing adjuster,*headers

Disagree: *Catback exhaust DOES add power, its not just for sound,(welding in mufflers is pretty much just good for sound).
*Not ALL cold air intakes are worthless(most are though). Do some research on the DENSECHARGER cold air intake, its a great bang for the buck.
*Mass air meters are pretty much worthless unless you plan on getting a supercharger.

Just my .02 cents
Good luck
Old 06-18-2002, 04:55 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

A mass air meter on a basically stock 99+ dyno'd 8 more hp at the wheels, which is more than I've been hearing for catbacks.
As for a Densecharger, how much hp is it supposed to be worth and what is so different about it that makes it much better than other CAI's?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Best bang for the buck:
Gears, Shifter, Pullies, X\H pipe...

Lower bang for the buck:
new MAF. Nothing on the low end, but you will feel it "breathe" easier on the top...

Control Arms and drag radials:
The 60 foot means EVERYTHING!

If you have money left over:
CAIs-
I have seen TONS of CAI'd GTs (including the densecharger) on the dyno, and I've never seen more than a 2 rwhp gain. To be honest, you can get that much of a difference between runs by doing absolutely nothing to the car. (Just the natural variance in-between different runs, slight change in outside air temp, etc... etc...)

Cat-Backs-
You MIGHT get a "true" 1-2 rwhp gain on a stock car.... but in down to earth respects, you'll only notice the change in exhaust tone...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:23 PM   #7
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Cat-Backs-
You MIGHT get a "true" 1-2 rwhp gain on a stock car.... but in down to earth respects, you'll only notice the change in exhaust tone...
Have to agree there.

Good list of mods to start with though.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:33 PM   #8
southernstang97

Exclamation Listen to Hammer !!!

Hammer is right on point with the mods that he has told you to look for. Your 2002 has the Pi heads that are why better that the 96 to 98 , so the more you can make them head breath the more you will see from the car , but more air means more fuel.
If you are going to start modding your car get ready , one leads to another and another and another , before you know it you will have changed everything that you said you would not change!!!
HEHEHE< but thats the fun part !!!!!

First things first get the gears , my friend just put some in his 99 and it moves so much better. But the best thing that I can tell you is go thru this site , check all the questiosn and fee'd back , you will see that most of the questions you have are have been asked and answered , that would just save you some time , but the good thing about this site , for one its the best for MUSTANG info and the people answer the same questions over and over and never make you feel like your stupid !!!!

Great buy and welcome to a real car , hehehe , now you need to go burn some rice !!!!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 02:39 PM   #9
SilverGT02
Registered Member

LOL, Thanks for the reply....Ive been burning rice in my Dakota for the past year!
Old 06-19-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
StangGT2002

Default Re: Listen to Hammer !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by southernstang97

First things first get the gears , my friend just put some in his 99 and it moves so much better.
Just curious, what gears did he put in his stang? Is it auto, manual?

Thanks!