MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2002, 10:14 PM   #1
Raw Power
Registered Member

Default Why does everyone like the 4.6 so much

Why does everyone like the 4.6L, I don't see why so many people could like the 4.6L over the 5.0L. Because when I seen the bore and stroke of the 4.6L I was shocked, I couldn't believe that ford would make a engine with 3.55in bore and 3.54 stroke and put it into a sports car. The 3.55 in bore is way to small to make any real horsepower without a supercharger. The only reason I say this is because I used to have a camaro with a 305ci and the bore is 3.74in and 3.48in stroke and I was told that I would be unable to make more than 300hp because of the small bore and that I would need at least a 4.00in bore to make some real horsepower. The 5.0L is 4.00in bore and 3.00in stroke which is a much better bore and stroke than the 4.6L. I want to get a mustang with a 5.0L, but can someone tell me why so many people like the 4.6L. One more question why do they call the 4.6 a modular motor I have not found out why they are called this. Thanks,
Raw Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Well I'll take a stab at this. First the 4.6 is a SOHC, which I think sets it in a different category than a pushrod 5.0L. It is a more efficient engine, well cabable of delivering power. I think your 300 HP Max theroy is shot. Stock Bullits put out what 265 or 275 or something and that is STOCK. Add exhaust, clean up the heads, etc, etc. and you'll have more than 300 HP.

I think they are called modual motors because of the parts interchangability between the 5.4L and the 4.6L.

I'm no expert on the 4.6, so I should problably keep my mouth closed, but I like the 4.6L, of course I love my 5.0 too

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 10:07 AM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I think most people would rather have had Ford keep using the 5.0L, but they didn't, so we have to make do with what we have. Every Mustang since '96 has come with a 4.6, so thats why people are modifying the motor. Not everybody wants to buy a 8+ year old car just to have the 5.0L in it.
The only years that the 4.6L 2V was really a weak motor was 96-98. In '99 it got new heads and intake, and was bumped to 260hp, and could run faster then the old 5.0's. The 4V has always produced great numbers, although its not enough to compete with the big 350's GM puts out.
As far as making big power, well, throughout history Ford has rarely ever built the Mustang fast the the Camaro or Firbird except for those rare few years in the late 80's and early 90's. Most people buy Mustangs for a combination of things: Style, decent power, build quality, comfort, aftermarket availbility, etc.
Yes, you are right, to really make any big numbers with the 4.6, you have to use Forced Induction. But, thats the way it is with 99% of todays motors.
So basically, people "like" the 4.6L because its the only thing you have to work with if you want a newer Mustang.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 02:13 PM   #4
02MineralGrayGT
Registered Member

In my opinion, the 5.0 and the 4.6 are two of the best engines ever made. They have enormous potential. The 4.6L is called a modular engine for a bundle of reasons. Modular is a term used to describe the new era of motors which are designed on the principle of efficiency and precision. All parts are carefully machined to fit perfectly into place and they use all of the latest technology. This tightness leaves no room for error when those pistons come down, but it also causes that smooth delightful roar vs. the 5.0's more clattering (yet still pleasing to the car enthusiast's ear) sound. With an offroad x pipe and full length headers, a 4.6L can be made to sound like a Ferrari. Many people are ready to say good bye to the archaic 5.0's as well as the gas guzzling 5.7 and 5.8L's. If you really want the latest technology, you can spring for the 4 valve DOHC Cobra engine. While you will have to sacrifice a great deal of low end performance, you will be one of the few who gets to feel that overwhelming rpm rush. Finally a bone stock 99-02 GT puts out 260 hp, 302 lbs. of torque and runs high 13's bone stock- compared to 289's which did high 15's and 302's which did high 14's. In the end it's a matter of preference. Are you satisfied with old fashioned muscle or do you want a little more? Either one is a great choice and will leave you with endless opportunities to gain performance- even after those ss's and t/a's are peaked out.
02MineralGrayGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Bore is not neccassarily a factor that limits the power output of the engine. There are many many power producing elements that are over looked. Like everything from Spark plug location, Rod lenght vs. Stroke ratio and a whole slew of others.

While the 4.6 may be a small displacement engine, you can get some pretty damn good power out of it without supercharging it. Pauls High Performance has got 12.8's out of a 260 RWHP 4.6. But thats due to gear and suspension tweaks.

Thats with out any internal changes. Stock Cams, and stock Intake.

For one thing, people like it because its "Diffrent". Despite its apparent lack of cubes, its an impressive motor from an engineering stand point. Its a strong cast block that holds up well, it has a good oiling system, its durable and realiable. I know mines held up to some serouis hard driving, and without so much as a hick up. And I drive mine hard...I'll tell you.

If you look at the heads, check out the valve size. I think its pretty impressive that the power they have can be produced with the smaller than average valve sizes, and a relatively low compression.

Well gotta run off to work now. I didnt get to end my post, but I'll do so later.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

I like the 4.6 because I put mine in the 10s on the bone stock engine and idles better than the 5.0 ever will. I have actually never been a fan of the 5.0 as an engine by itself, but the aftermarket is huge.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:58 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Holy cow!! Congrats on the 10's. I have been following your build up on here and over at stangnet. That is just awesome!!! I look forward to getting the new MM&FF and checking it out. Hopefully I'll see you at Etown and Atco this year.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:14 AM   #8
97snakedriver
Registered Member

You have trouble building a 305 because its a piece of ****, not because of the bore and stroke.

There is a trade off between the 4.6 and the 5.0 and I have certain issues with both. The 5.0 benifits from its simplicity and that its been around since the 50s so its been fiddled with and its exploited exploited since then. The 4.6 is newfangled. Parts are more expensive. The timing chain arrangment could be better. The oil return from the heads could be better.

Anyway, a fast 4.6 is deffently more friendly then a 5.0, especially when made fast, and that's probably why they are more popular with the general non-racecar building public. That and a American V8 turning 7000 RPMs just sounds wonderful.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 10:02 AM   #9
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Fact is it's just as efficient as the pushrod motors it just has different technology behind it. It's still just nuts and bolts. Remember also not everyone buys a new modular car because they want the motor they want a mustang with a warrenty and it's the only available motor. Fact is though some people come to appreciate it more once they realize it's no different.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:23 PM   #10
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

In essence "in with the new, out with the old". I do miss the lumpy idle of my ol' 5.0 with a 305 cam and a set of shaved Dart heads...

Being a father of two and a nagging wife, reliability forced me to buy a modular powered Mustang...I can say I love the smoothness and reliability that the 4.6 offers.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 09:14 PM   #11
FrankenStang
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Well , not everyone is sold on the 4.6 . Some live and die by the push rod engine ..... would you question if ford built a 5.0 modular with overhead cams...? To each his own , it's all the same family.......just different generations. 260 HP STOCK well that was my reason for converting . Next year will bring something new ...... just a sign of the times ..!!

96gt (with 99 2v engine)
FrankenStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 04:26 AM   #12
PKRWUD

Default In short...

4.6L SOHC/4.6L DOHC/5.4L SOHC

In 1991, Ford unleashed a new era of muscle, one that is propelling us into the future. The modular engine focuses on low friction, excellent sealing and increased block stiffness. The design results in an extremely smooth running engine using aluminum heads and having all accessories rigidly mounted to the engine. Both the engine block and head are machined to close tolerances to produce a very precise assembly. The head bolts of modular engines actually extend past the cylinder bores into the bearing webs, eliminating bore distortion and providing a better head gasket seal. The sophisticated overhead cam design uses roller finger followers to lower friction and increase the RPM potential of the engine. On the bottom end, the deep skirt engine block and cross-bolted main caps contribute to a higher rigid assembly. Two engine plants manufacture Modular engines; Romeo produces all passenger car versions and Windsor produces the Modular Truck engines. HereÕs a brief description of Modular V-8 engines.

4.6L SOHC

The 4.6L SOHC (2V) was first introduced in 1991. This engine is the basis for all modular engines as is used in passenger cars as well as trucks. The block is cast iron with a nodular crankshaft, while the heads are aluminum using an in-line valve design with 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder. All passenger cars have press fit piston pins, while all truck engines have full floating piston pins to improve durability.

4.6L DOHC

The 4.6L DOHC (4V) was first introduced in the Mark VIII; however, in 1996 a similar version of this engine found its calling in the Mustang Cobra. The aluminum block and four-valve head make for a powerful combination producing 305 HP @ 7000 RPM. Internally the 4 bolt, cross-bolted main bearing caps provide the support necessary to easily handle the high RPM potential of the forged steel crankshaft. This engine uses hypereutectic pistons with full floating piston pins and upgraded connecting rod assemblies to improve durability.

5.4L SOHC

The 5.4L SOHC (2V) "Triton" engine released in trucks for 1997 is producing favorable reactions. This engine has a cast iron block, forged steel crankshaft, full floating piston pins and special 6000 RPM connecting rods. It is the 5.8L "pushrod engine" replacement.

Modular Engine Family

60-degree V-6 DOHC

* 2.5L - various
* 2.5L - SVT Contour
* 3.0L - various
* 3.0L - Lincoln LS

V-8 DOHC

* 3.4L - SHO

V-12 DOHC

* 6.0L - Aston
* 6.0L - Indigo & GT90 (show car)

90-degree V-8 SOHC

* 4.6L
* 5.4L - Triton
* 5.4L - SVT Lightning

V-8 DOHC

* 4.6L - Intech
* 4.6L - SVTÊ
* 5.4L - LincolnÊ
* 5.4L - Super Stallion (Show Car)
* 5.4L - Cobra RÊ

V-10 SOHC

* 6.8L - Triton

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:39 PM   #13
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Default Re: Why does everyone like the 4.6 so much

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raw Power

Why does everyone like the 4.6L, I don't see why so many people could like the 4.6L over the 5.0L.

I used to e part of this camp, until I bought my 02 GT. I have gained a healthy respect for this engine (gasp! I've even thought about selling my 91 and attendant parts to finance some sort of 4.6 activity, but I'm to cheap for that, I paid for it I'm keeping it till I die)

Because when I seen the bore and stroke of the 4.6L I was shocked, I couldn't believe that ford would make a engine with 3.55in bore and 3.54 stroke and put it into a sports car. The 3.55 in bore is way to small to make any real horsepower without a supercharger. The only reason I say this is because I used to have a camaro with a 305ci and the bore is 3.74in and 3.48in stroke and I was told that I would be unable to make more than 300hp because of the small bore and that I would need at least a 4.00in bore to make some real horsepower.

Okay, if this was the case F1 engines wouldn't be cranking out some neat numbers (nevermind the fact that is like 2 ft/lbs of torque @ a bazillion rpm). By nessecity, production based (and by that I mean utilizing the stuff commonly available to the bulk of hot-roding humanity) components are compromised due to the need for push-rods, affordable components, and other bits and pieces, not to mention low hood lines, ect. the 305 like the 4.6 are smog motors, but that doesn't mean they are crappy performance motors. They do have some inherent advantages compared to their larger bore cousins when it comes to combustion and fuel efficiency. Had engine manufacturers (namely brand - X) decided to build 3-1/2 bore engines in the 60's then people wouldn't make dodo statements like that. Since so many engines use a 4 inch bore and larger. The after market hasn't had to mess with smaller bore engines as much.

Remeber back in the 60's muscle cars were supposed to be cheap thrills, long stroke/small bore technology was and is more costly than short stroke/big bore technology.

The 5.0L is 4.00in bore and 3.00in stroke which is a much better bore and stroke than the 4.6L

Semantics

despite its smallish bore and long stroke, the 4.6 is a better high rpm engine, because of its ohc design, the cylinder heads aren't as comprimised and you can get more flow from a smaller port/valve arrangement (not as many kinks and bends). The small bore means less surface area (reduced crevice volume, less surface area - which means less heat is absorbed by the surrounding surfaces, and the flame front has less distance to travel which reduces the ignition timing requirements allows. I've been told that gasoline burns at an exact rate (BS I say if you take into account things like homgenization and formulation which would affect its rate of burn - just look at how hi-octane fuels work), anywhosit at higher engine speeds the a/f charge has a finite amount of time to burn and act against a piston, the larger the bore, the more time it takes to burn (okay, I begrudginly give this one to long rod motors, but where does the trade off occur in dwell time versus bore size?) meaning unless the piston has sufficient dwell time, its gonna get yanked away before the a/f charge can act against said piston.

All this also has a positive effect on detonation resistance. Which means you can use lower octane fuels (which burn faster comapred to higher octane fuels ~ in the realm of gasoline, of course ), so concievibly an engine using a small bore with a faster buring fuel can make useful power at a higher rpm.

In any event, I guess it comes down to whichever is your weapon of choice. each design has its merits.

Oh and don't think that a 305 is a crappy motor. I think that a 305 with a 4" stroke would make an excellent engine
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:57 PM   #14
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

it's what i got, but i dont dis the tried & true5.0 they have been around for a long time. & will be around. i just like my 4.6.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:13 PM   #15
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

here is a great spec web sight from detroit on the 1998 mustang
Mustang engine spec page
and i like the 4.6 better i have driven the 5.0 alot and the torque comes on to low i always found it hard to keep traction off the line with the better power band and higher reving 4.6 i get better performance and save on tires either are great engines i just like the mod better
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote