MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #1
ex-lt1-guy
Registered Member

Default 4.30s, 4.56s too much for the street?

Ok you masters of Mustangs, I have a friend that just bought a 99 GT, 5 speed and is making a drag/street car out of it, he has an extra rearend laying around his garage, and was thinking of putting 4.30s or a 4.56 gear in it, would these ratios be too much for a gt, I dont think highway cruising would be too bad with the overdrive, he doesnt drive it much on the highway anyway, but he was curious if anyone else had run a gear like these on a gt, would it match the power characteristics of the 4.6L? I'm not even sure of the power band or rev limit of these engines. We are all new to the modulars at one time or another

Thanks again

This car with mostly be a drag car, hes got a stockpile of parts that hes gonna use on this car, he just wants to be able to take it to the track or drive around town in it and just needs to know a good ratio to use, he will have slicks on the car
ex-lt1-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:46 PM   #2
02Silver4.6
Registered Member

If it STRICTLY for drag 4.56's would be OK, if he plans on driving it on the street in the least bit I would go with 4.30's. FWIW, I have an 02 GT 5 speed with 4.10's and its a Daily driver!
02Silver4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:55 PM   #3
ex-lt1-guy
Registered Member

Thats cool, thats what i was thinking myself, maybe just a 4.30 at most, 4.10s perfom well too, Have u taken yours to the track to see what it does with the gears?
Old 08-29-2002, 01:33 AM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I've got a set of 4:10's sitting in my room for my 2000 GT. If its raining Friday I'm thinking of asking TIM C to help me put them in..and see if I can get a set of clutches for the rear end also. I got the awesome one wheel peel going on. Its sucks for racing obviously.

As 02 Silver said..I wouldnt go with anything higher than 4:30's if its going to see street driving.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 03:19 AM   #5
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hey merc man, you dont have a set of 3:73's laying around do ya, the lame 2:73's are killing me, let me know see around man.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:45 AM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Horse GT
hey merc man, you dont have a set of 3:73's laying around do ya, the lame 2:73's are killing me, let me know see around man.
Doesn't your 2000 GT have 3.27's?

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

You may want to read the specs on Mustang92's car.. I know he has commented several times about this same subject. He is doing very well with his mustang (in the 12's I think) with very little mods as far as engine work goes.. From comments he's made before, I think he's in some racing clubs and makes frequent trips to the track and dyno... I would trust his judgement on gearing... His times vs. mods speak for themselves, you can't argue with a time slip...

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:24 AM   #8
97whitecobra
Registered Member

Hey no offence but are you guys runnin street tires? Sounds like a tire shreddin contest. 4:10 seems too tall for a GT. just my 2 cents get a 3:73.
97 cobra: pullys, full bassani X w/cats 4:10, steeda tri-ax, mac cold air, ported intakes, imrc deletes, tuned chip 291 rwhp.
97whitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:54 AM   #9
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
Hey no offence but are you guys runnin street tires? Sounds like a tire shreddin contest. 4:10 seems too tall for a GT. just my 2 cents get a 3:73.
I do with my 4.30's and have no problems. Some people just need to learn how to drive their cars better. Can I tear up the tires if I want sure but that would be a waste. I've learned how to drive my car so that I can leave from a stoplight and barely chirp the tires.

A 4.56 is too tall for our cars, we don't have the RPM to make them usuable. In the quarter mile you would end up having to shift into 5th. With 4.30's and a 26" tall slick it is ideal for drag racing and streetability is not an issue if you can adapt to the gearing. Some can't and complain about tires. If you plan on racing at the track with any tire that is smaller than a 26" then you may want to be concervative and stay with a 4.10 that will give you more room to grow. If you are going with a power adder then stick with the 3.73's but don't expect much of an improvement at the track in NA form.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #10
97whitecobra
Registered Member

Sure you can leave with a "chirp" how fast really are your times in this form (street tires)?
97 cobra: pullys, full bassani X w/cats 4:10, steeda tri-ax, mac cold air, ported intakes, imrc deletes, tuned chip 291 rwhp.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:41 PM   #11
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Sure you can leave with a "chirp" how fast really are your times in this form (street tires)?
Why would I waste my time running on street tires at the track when I have slicks? Last time I raced my car with Nittos I went 13.09 with a 1.77 60 foot time that was almost 2 years ago when my best on slicks was a 12.99...that was on 4.10 gears. I ran my car at the track once with Pep Boys radials about 6 months ago and went 13.5 @ 99 letting off at 1000' mark because it was on the limiter in 4th (the tires are shorter than my 26" tall slicks). Based on my 1/8 mile number I would have run 13.04 @ 107 this was with a 1.8 60 foot...not too bad for a "shreddin" contest.

Obviously you've never heard of slipping the clutch or learned how to control your right foot. I however have spent many hours at the track learning how to drive my car. Mashing the gas off the line is not driving, learning to control your tires off the line is what wins races. I'm the guy that can leave cars that should have no problem beating me, because at the line they can't control tire spin...I can.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-29-2002, 01:00 PM   #12
97whitecobra
Registered Member

Im sorry your the greatest, congrats on your " championship". Do you think people respect you more when you talk like that? Let me know when your in michigan and well run the same tires. We'll see if you have a chance. Should be no problem your the worlds greatest driver, but I believe this post was about a gear on the STREET. Your comparing apples and oranges as I figured you would which is why I asked about which tires. You shouldn't misleed the new guys, who may or may not know better from B. S.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:58 PM   #13
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Im sorry your the greatest, congrats on your " championship". Do you think people respect you more when you talk like that?
Excuse me when did I say that? When did I say everyone bow down, please wake up and re-read my post. Ever heard the phrase "talk to others like you want to be talked to" well you started off with the smart ***** remark doubting my driving ability. How should I react? Should I just bow down and admit that your right nobody could possibily drive on street tires and have a tall gear? I spent a lot of time at the track learning how to drive, I never demanded any respect from anyone and personally could care less about respect I'm just having fun with my car and sharing experience.

Quote:
Let me know when your in michigan and well run the same tires.
I'm not attending any more events this year so maybe next year. Honestly though why would I waste a seconds time to prove a point about a stupid internet arguement? Tell you what, next time your in Florida you put on some real tires and meet me at the track. I don't street race anymore I have more important things to look forward to.

Quote:
We'll see if you have a chance.
If think all I do is sit and spin then you have a lot to learn RWHP are nothing without traction.

Quote:
but I believe this post was about a gear on the STREET.
Do you? Please read again...

Quote:
I have a friend that just bought a 99 GT, 5 speed and is making a drag/street car out of it
Quote:
This car with mostly be a drag car
So where do you see this being a debate about the best street gear? Seems to me he's asking about a street/strip gear but mostly a drag car...guess what my car is a street car that sees the strip quite often. 88K miles, daily driven, 600 + passes...sounds like a street strip car to me.

Quote:
Your comparing apples and oranges as I figured you would which is why I asked about which tires.
What is apples to oranges, when I said I can leave the line with street tires I'm not talking ET streets I mean $65 a piece 265/50/15 Pep Boy Futuras. Just because you can't handle the fact that someone with a real gear has learned how to drive their car on the street without burning up tires is not my fault. In the early days I got burned left and right on the street racing scene from guys that knew how to drive the wheels off their cars while I sat and spun. That wasn't happening again so I took time and learned how to drive better.

Quote:
You shouldn't misleed the new guys, who may or may not know better from B. S.
How am I misleading people here? My name was brought up about a gear that he's looking into. I made my comments about them then even suggested a 4.10. How is that misleading? You've completely taken my post out of context and turned it around into a stupid arguement because you can't believe I can drive my car.

Please someone point out where I BSed about my experiences...again maybe I'm just FOS and my car is not real and I'm faking all my information.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-29-2002, 02:25 PM   #14
97whitecobra
Registered Member

Nice work! But what is the Post Subject? 4:30, 4:56 to much for the street? I personally am fine with my driving, but before you recomend a tall gear to someone make sure they can handle it. (not saying you did that, he is running drags). There is a lot of people here. 4 out of 5 people who have to come in here and ask that question, will go slower if they get a tall gear. I have a buddy who is the same way "%$@& IT put a 4:30 in everything!"
Anyway I dont want to argue. The combo seems to work good for your application. C- ya
Old 08-29-2002, 04:02 PM   #15
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Nice work! But what is the Post Subject? 4:30, 4:56 to much for the street? I personally am fine with my driving, but before you recomend a tall gear to someone make sure they can handle it. (not saying you did that, he is running drags). There is a lot of people here. 4 out of 5 people who have to come in here and ask that question, will go slower if they get a tall gear. I have a buddy who is the same way "%$@& IT put a 4:30 in everything!"
Anyway I dont want to argue. The combo seems to work good for your application. C- ya
That may be the subject but upon clarification it's more drag oriented which is why I made my comments. He asked about 4.30's which is something I have and I commented again I never said he should get them. I agree most newbies would not fare well with 4.30's which is why I suggested 4.10's instead. As for thinking put the largest gear in something I'm not like that at all. Again I'm trying to steer him away from 4.56's and 4.30's because they may be too aggressive for what his buddy is looking for. If he wanted the optimum gear for a NA 2V then 4.30's are the perfect gear with a 26x8.5 tire I surely don't recommend them to someone with zero driving experience.

This all started because your saying someone will not get traction with 4.10's or taller gear and that is not true. Will your average high schooler with a new GT or Cobra and 4.30's have problems? Absolutely. That doesn't mean with driving experience someone can't though. I know people with 4.88's that drive on the street just fine, don't mean I would try them. Just reading the original post will tell you he isn't a newbie, how many people do you know have 8.8's just laying around? Feel free to read all my posts on every board I post on I rarely if ever suggest a 4.30 gear to anyone because I know most can't handle it. There are 2-3 people on stangnet with GT's running 4.30's and couldn't be happier with them. However I never said go buy them, they made up their own minds and got them.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-29-2002, 06:25 PM   #16
98gt5sp
Registered Member

Thumbs down Stick to the Subject

Mustang92 and 97whitecobra:

If you guys have a problem, then start your own forum and banter back and forth. However, I think everyone would agree that there is nothing more annoying then asking for help in a forum and having the forum transformed into a boxing arena between two pride-filled users.

My Mods
My Web Page

Rice Hater's Club - Member # 78
98gt5sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:56 PM   #17
ex-lt1-guy
Registered Member

Mustang92, thanks for the input, we are both good with a stick, I can control my wheel spin and launch pretty well in a stock suspension vehicle , it will probably be easier with full out slicks and a drag setup. I do appreciate your replies everyone

Hey mustang92, is your longblock stock or no? i havent seen many of your posts or heard anything about your motor
Old 08-30-2002, 01:19 AM   #18
02Silver4.6
Registered Member

Mustang 92 is basically my online technician. He is very knowledgeable and definitely knows what hes talking bout.
Check out all the other mustang message forums(as well as this one) and you will see the great reputation Mustang 92 has built for himself.
02Silver4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 09:25 AM   #19
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Hey mustang92, is your longblock stock or no? i havent seen many of your posts or heard anything about your motor
Yes stock longblock. I have my web site in my signature that will give a complete list of my mods, history, etc... I don't post as much on this board as I used to. In short the car has your basic bolt-ons (pulleys, timing adjuster, O/R X, C&L 80mm, K&N), Bullitt intake, drag suspension, 4.30's and slicks. I have a bunch of parts that I'm acculating for my shot at 11's.

98gt5sp, you should take some of your own advice there was nothing technical or advising related to this post. The debateing done between us is over if you read that carefully enough. Next time feel free to PM me if you have a problem about it.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com