MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
f1jqcart
Registered Member

Default common problems??

hi, i am looking at getting a 1999 or 2000 mustang GT, probably a coupe but it doesnt really matter, in a manual tranny. i was wondering what are some common problems i should keep an eye out for since i will be buying used, obviously. i am unfamiliar with mustangs and just wanted to know what some of the more common problems are. any advice, recommendations, or help on what to look for and what not to look for is appreciated.
f1jqcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

Buy a nice low milage GT that has not been modded. Most GT's were purchased by middle age people that treated them well. The cars are pretty well built and have the normal wear and tear issues like any car. Can't say there is any one major problem that has popped up on these models. Just don't buy a modded car and think it hasn't been treated rough. Look at the interior and engine/tranny for any signs of missuse. Meeting the owner is always best! good luck!
Old 07-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
f1jqcart
Registered Member

cool, i was planning on getting an unmodded car, because most ppl that make mods have it done wrong and/or put the car through the ringer. the middle aged buyers does make sense. i appreciate your help, and if anyone can confirm this it would make me feel more at ease. thanks
f1jqcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Some folks have trouble with the manual trannies (both T45 and TR3650), so make sure it shifts right and doesn't grind, especially going into 2nd at high rpms.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

One common problem with stangs of those years (and others) is with the IAC (Idle Air Control). Watch how the car idles with AC on and off. It should idle smoothly at around 700 rpms. It's a cheap fix usually if there is a problem.

I have to add, though, that I always get a laugh when guys at these type of sites advise folks to buy a car that has not been modded when just about all of us have done so. Fact is, modding a car is about the worst thing you can do if you are worried about resale. I don't agree though with the asumption that a modded car has been run hard. A few mods are just great things to do and will save you money if you don't have to do them such as gears, shifters, subframes and a few others. Exhaust mods are hit or miss...it depends if you like the choice that the previous owner used. Most guys who mod their stangs are also probably good about oil changes and other maintenance.

Meeting the owner is always good. Personally, I would never buy a car from a kid especially from someone who is just beginning to drive and owned a stang as a first car unless he was really desperate and the price was right.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote