MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-2000, 09:51 AM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool My new Borlas!

Well, Saturday I am picking up my Borla side exhaust kit. I got it at a very good price from a guy who had it installed for a short time and then went a different route with his mods. Now, obviously this is more of an appearance mod, but I should pick up a few HP shouldn't I? I've heard that the 96-97's had more restrictive exhaust setups than the later models - is that true? I know it's not going to throw my head back or anything but I would imagine there would be atleast a 1 or 2 HP gain. If anything it'll be a good foundation for a high flow H-Pipe down the road. Anybody have any thoughts here? I've heard good things about Borlas so i'm pretty excited.

Thanks

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 10:06 AM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

I haven't had first hand experience with side exhaust but I've heard nothin' but horror stories about them. You can't lower the car. Even at stock height you'll have lots of problems hitting the exhaust on the road. Borla may have a good design for theirs but I've heard alot about the mufflers will drag on speed bumps or dips or even in regular driving. This one guy i know had his mufflers ripped right off his car when he hit a bump. I've also heard that there are more bends in the pipes to get them over to the sides and it will cause even more restriction than before. Now that's just what I've been told by others who have had the side exhaust and took it off. You might go to www.saleenchat.com/ and ask some of the guys on there. They will know better than i do. This is just what I have heard. Hope this helps.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 08-31-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 02:58 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hey 96GTS, thanks for the heads up. I hadn't planned on lowering my Stang so hopefully clearance won't be an issue. After I get them painted and installed I will let you guys know how they work out as far as clearance and performance, etc. If anything, they'll sound and look good. Thanks again.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Old 09-05-2000, 11:36 AM   #4
Try Me
Registered Member

Right on man. So you may have to watch your speed over those speed bumps - but all in all, side pipes are WAY cool!
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 07:03 PM   #5
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

It's always personal preferance, but I think the side skirt exhaust adds a nice little touch. I'll be the only one in my town with them so that's kinda cool - and the Borlas oughta sound kickass with an H-Pipe. Looks like i'm gonna have to wait a tad to install them though as it looks like I need new tires before winter.

Stefan

BTW, Try Me - what's your ride?
------------------
66 Standard coupe

96 GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 09-05-2000).]
Old 09-08-2000, 01:29 PM   #6
paver one
Registered Member

Cool

Don't let anyone convince you that there is an exhaust system out there that is better than Borla,,,there isn't. You'll get awesome sound and they last forever. If you want the best, go Borla....I run a 1996 s281 vert that only has 4" of clearance below the cat backs but if you'll go sideways over the speed bumps, driveways, etc you'll clear.....

------------------
paver one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2000, 01:44 PM   #7
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Thanks for the info Paver One. I've listened to what the Borla's sound like on a Mustang on their website, but who knows whether it was stock or a Cobra or what. It did sound good though. Even with my stock H-Pipe it's gotta sound better than the stock muffs. Now I just gotta get 'em on.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe

96 GT Convertible
Old 09-08-2000, 11:58 PM   #8
stevstum
Registered Member

Is there side exhaust systems for 89 to 93 mustangs. If so who makes them?

------------------
Steve Stumbaugh

89 LX 5.0 5sp.
Removed air silencer
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2000, 10:33 AM   #9
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Steve,
I don't remember there being a kit for the 89-93 models. I am sure something could be made cheaply with or without utilizing the rocker panel moldings. www.ClassicDesign-Concepts.com might be able to help if you give them a call or email them.

Stefan