MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2002, 07:25 PM   #1
Torinalth
Registered Member

Default what prep is required for power

hey guys, you all have seen me ask around about getting some odd 600 or so HP to the wheels..... now that I have the solution to getting it done I need to figure out what HAS to be done to make sure something does not frag and rip my car up.

dont worry about the engine, I'll be getting a built motor with a TT system, it is everything besides the motor I am worried about.

so when the power starts churning in my nuclear plant (just thought of a theme for under the hood) what is going to break when the power is unleashed? I'm already looking at about 10k for my engine alone, so I'm already crying about that, and am dreading what is needed for the rest of the car.

Torinalth
Old 06-26-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
Torinalth
Registered Member

nobody knows? c'mon guys.

Torinalth
Old 06-26-2002, 03:57 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

For starters I'd say you will need to get a heavy duty clutch, tranny, driveshaft, some new axles, subframes, and a cage.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 05:14 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Ditto what blue said...

The stock tranny won't like that much power going through it...

You'll also want to look at some control arms and some larger meats on the back to put that power to the pavement.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
Torinalth
Registered Member

getting saleen 18X9 in front and 18X10 in rear with toyo proxies TS-1 rubbers.

****, didnt want to get the trani yet...... more damn cash before actual poewr.... well, getting my T56 though.....
I'll prolly get a saleen or spec clutch and while I am at it get a steeda aluminum flywheel.

oh, can you get different geears for the t-56? and anyone know the final drive equivilant for the 5 gears of the T-56 when up against the standard 5 speed?

sigh...... aight, this is what I have so far to replace:
Transmition - T56
clutch - Saleen
Flywheel - steeda
suspension - saleen to the extreme with control arms
suspension 2 - added subframes
rear axels - I'm guessing this is needed, but dont know what brand
wheels & tires - saleen 18x9F/18X10R with toyo proxie TS-1s
shifter - steeda t56 Tri Ax

anyone think of anything else that is needed? I'm spending a **** load on just the bulletproofing..... also will the t56 handle the 600 or to HP?

Torinalth
Old 06-26-2002, 10:53 PM   #6
Torinalth
Registered Member

this is what I have hammered down so far after looking at various places to obtain items

suspension: saleen to the extreme 2000
transmition: Sean hyland motorsport T56 2525
Shifter: steeda tri ax t56 Shifter 200
Flywheel: steeda billit flywheel 225
clutch: king cobra steeda clutch 225
Axels: steeda axels 325
wheels: Saleen 4 piece chrome 1870
Tires: toyo prixies TS-1 1200

if anyone has any other items they suggest replacing so they dont break, or better places to buy then please let me know. 8750 is a good deal to spend on preparing the GT for 600HP

Torinalth
Old 06-27-2002, 09:44 AM   #7
esandes
Registered Member

Does the built motor have forged internals? Maybe a stupid question, but that much HP will snap the stock pistons and connecting rods like pencils.
esandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 11:34 AM   #8
wally6761
Registered Member

600+ ?, you may be looking at more than internals. possibly a new block too. you're getting into racing hp, not street.
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:21 PM   #9
Torinalth
Registered Member

yes yes, I'm getting a built motor with new crank, rods, pistons, valve springs, and a few other items......... or I could get a predone motor with the TT already on it set to go....... either way, the engine is not my concern, the rest of the car is.

Torinalth
Old 06-28-2002, 09:16 PM   #10
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

As for the axle all you need is a used ford 9 inch they are bullet proof all you would have to do is rebuild it so you now what was in it ,with that much power this is what i would do 3.73 gears i myself like zoom brand, a full set of heavy duty bearings, 31 spline axles a detroit air locker differential,royal purple gear oil,good axle seals, 3550 u joints,ford racing aluminum drive shaft,don`t forget your driveshaft loop so you never pogo stick your stang, a tremec or if you have money jerico tranny,a goood fly wheel no cast garbage strictly forged only, dual mass kevlar clutch assembley, a fully ajustable clutch,

and for god sakes please don`t forget to upgrade your brakes if you haven`t already. i have seen to many people add power to go faster but forget to upgrade their brakes . don`t forget you need to stop

as for the axle setup i have done this with a 1977 ford pick up running 4.10 gears and was putting at least 700 horse through it with no problems at all, the biggest part is make sure the back lash and pinion depth is set correctly if you do it yourself this can make or break a axle
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote