MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-29-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Angry Don't mod the MAF!

Just a word of caution to anyone concidering moding their MAF (removing the post) think twice!!

We decided to do that today, now the stang barely runs! It cannot maintain steady RPM's, stalls when rpm's drop below 2500, and SES light is on. Very sickly. Nothing seems to fix it.

To anyone that HAS done the mod....what was your expirence??

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT

Current Mods:
Flowmaster Catback
MAC Cold Air Induction w/ K&N
March U/D Pulleys
Hypertech Power Programmer III
17X9 Cobra R Rims
White Face Gauges
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Future Mods:
3.73's or 4.10's?
O/R X-pipe,
Lowering springs
maybe even a NOSzel kit?!?!?

The Stang
2000stanggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I didn't do the mod for exactly that reason...

When you modify "remove the post" from the stock MAF, if you aren't careful, you can get the sensor dirty or damage it.

Also, The sensor in the MAF gives signals based on the amount of airflow that is expected with a stock MAF. IF the amount of air coming through the induction is not as expected, you could fun into problems....

I have also seen this on some cold air and ram air kits that have 90 degree bends in them...

I would verify the sensor is clean and re-set the computer by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. The computer may just need to re-learn its environment. See if the problem occurs with the stock air box. If all else fails, I suggest doing it the right way... a nice new Pro-M MAF calibrated for your stang....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:06 AM   #3
southernstang97

Exclamation !!!! don't remove !!!

I remove the post on my 97 gt and then I had to buy a new mass air !!!!

I was looking around the inet and in the corral.net site ( I think thats the one) had a tech tip on " how to remove the maf post"
SO i went home and did everything to the T and my car would run , but why to rich .

I would never ever ever tell any one to do this mod , tried it on my stang 97 and my friends that is a 99 gt and both got new maf units !

I got the C&L 80mm . but for my friends 99 we called a local shop and got one off a 2002 that was getting a new C&L maf , cost was 25 bucks !!
Old 07-01-2002, 03:41 PM   #4
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Actually, I see you also have CAI. That is the problem. How does the C&L run with your CAI? They are also not intended for use with CAI.

I think the majority of those that think they have screwed up the mod are actually attempting to use it with CAI.....which just doesn't work well. The bends in the front portion of the CAI causes too much turbulent air for the MAFS to deal with. Straighten up the connection, and it works great...with far better gains than the CAI could produce.

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT

Current Mods:
Flowmaster Catback
MAC Cold Air Induction w/ K&N
March U/D Pulleys
Hypertech Power Programmer III
17X9 Cobra R Rims
White Face Gauges
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Future Mods:
3.73's or 4.10's?
O/R X-pipe,
Lowering springs
maybe even a NOSzel kit?!?!?

The Stang
2000stanggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #5
southernstang97

Exclamation cai !!

Ok

I had the full cold air kit , the fender kit , but when I got the c&l mass air they stated that the cold air kits mess with the meter due to the bend in the pipe. So since I have put the c&l mass air unit have taken the bend part of the cold air out of the car and use the box that came with the c&l mass air.
I have a friend that is a tech at a ford dealership and he has run the computer on the car and has found that when you remove the post that it messes up the flow over the meter.. With the post out it does not hold the right amount of air for you maf to read , moves over it way to fast. On the 96 to 98 models the MAF unit is metal and not plastic so it was even harder to remove the post. I am more than sure that if you remove the post you will run in to problem , will run to lean or too rich ,,,,

I would be careful ,, if you removed the post and you think the car is running right , you could be right or wrong , I would get your stang on a computer and see where the MAF unit is reading , whats the volt !!! It may seem right , like if it is not too rich ,, but when you are driving the car fast it might lean it out , or mix too much gas.

I have only used a C&L mass air and it has worked great for me and when I do the heads/intake swap ( which will be p/p) I feel that the mass air will even give me more power , more flow !!

But if you put your stang on the computer and its reading right GOOD FOR YOU , you just saved 289.00 !!!! If its not , look on ebay , I got my C&L mass air from a guy for 170.00 and thats the full kit ! mass air meter , 19# sample tube , cover box to keep the hot air out !
Old 07-01-2002, 05:43 PM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

As I said before in the previous post...

MAFs sometimes have a problem with CAI kits with 90 degree bends in them.

The same goes with some ram-air and blower setups.

I've seen some MAF units work just fine with a 90 degree bend CAI. My first Pro-M (NA set up) worked just fine with a Roush CAI. No problems at all.
And then I've seen some that just run like crap. (Stangirl's original issue)

I have seen some success by others using a "bullet" type MAF and turning it around at 90 degree angles from the "up" position. This places the sensor at a place will it will receive a good sample of air. (This usually requires making an extension for the MAF output wires that connect to the sensor)

From experience, and a good amount of money, I've come to learn that the MAF is a very sensitive piece of equipment that needs to be handled correctly, and more importantly, PROGRAMMED correctly.

You guys have just had a glimpse of what some of us "blower" folks have to deal with....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote