MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
nub
Registered Member

Default I'm new-don't know where to go for help...

Hi, I'm new to these forums didn't really know where to put this but I'm hoping this is the place(you guys need a newbie forum ).

I currently own a 96-97' white mustang GT-I love the car to death, I really do. I have 17" avon low profiles, cobra rims, and custom tail lights. The only two friends who have semi-sporty cars are both driving camaros-one is driving a 1970s camaro that's packing 400 horses(the body is **** though), and the other one is a stock Lr1(I think that's what it is) and is packing 280 horses. I really have no clue how many horses my 4.6L V8 would be packing but I'm guessing in the 200 range? This kind of disappoints me as my car does stand out from acouple of the other mustangs in town, this has driven me to the point where I am looking to upgrade and build up my car so it can be a real fine piece of work. Now I live in Canada inbetween two of my province's largest cities so I'm sure finding parts won't be tooooo difficult-and I have an idea kind of what I would like to do-I just am starting to wonder about prices/if I can actually do it.

The following are kind of goals and I would like to know if they are realistic or not:
1a)I am aiming at beefing my engine up to 500 horses, is this doable?(will I be running the risk of bending my frame?)
1b)What is going to be cheaper-doing an engine lift(if I do one it'll be upgrading to a 5.0L cobra engine straight from the manufacturer), or beefing up the current 4.6L to achieve 1a?

2)I'd like to put some sort of electronic exhaust dumping system(gotta make people look)-and I'm curious if there is such thing for mustangs-for those of you who have never heard of them they allow you to remotely(remotely as in you don't have to get out of the driver seat) switch wether your exhaust travels straight out your exhaust system or straight out of the engine

3)To beef up the engine, I imagine I am going to have to super charged and do a whole bunch of other things-do you have recommendations as to which parts/brands I should go with to achieve that level of horse power?(also exhaust systems too)

4)Do you know any good body kit webstores or places on the net where I can go to view different mustang body kits?

5)What about braking systems? I've heard of certain braking systems for trucks to allow them to do brake stands without killing their brakes-can you give me some more info on these if they exsist for mustangs?

6)Is it worth throwin in a nos system into something that would be packing this much power?

As you can tell I am looking at dropping some serious cash-thus I want things done right, hence why i am doing research-your help is greatly appreciated-maybe I'll post pictures when/if I ever get done.....If you can provide me with any reading materials that would be great-I just started looking on the net for help a week ago but I've been talking to other mustang owners who have fixed up their stangs and they have been alittle help-but I don't feel they have helped enough.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:33 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

New is not bad. We need some new blood anyway. first off, 500 HP is unrealistic witht the 4.6 in the 97 without major upgrades. If you yank the engine replace with a 4.6 cobra engine not the 5.0. With the 4.6 cobra you can supercharge add high flow exhaust, yada,yada,yada. You will need to research the Faq's on this board and ask questions as you go. If you have the cash the guys here can have you smokin camaros before you know it!

Good luck and keep askin questions
Old 08-01-2003, 07:17 AM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I'm guessing that your in Red Deer. Am I right??? LOL

You can make your 97 move, but it's going to cost you some cash. Here's what I would do (which is mostly all the stuff Hammer had on his 98 GT)

1. Motorsport Heads - Need these
2. SVO intake
3. Twin bore Throttle body
4. 42# Injectors
5. Large Fuel Pump - 255 l/hr
6. ATI Procharger (8 psi, or 12 psi if you're brave)
7. ATI Intercooler
8. 3.73 gears
9. Custom tune
10. Complete exhaust - headers, X-pipe, and cat back.

You may also want to look at the following as they will help your car now, and the stock components aren't going to last too long with the above items

11. New Clutch - Pick one, there are lots out there
12. Tremec 5 spd - you will miss a shift and you will break your transmission
13. Control arms
14. Lowering springs - Eibach work fine
15. New Shocks and Struts
16. After market shifter - Like the Steeda Tri-ax
17. New axles - Moser
18. Subframe connectors - give the frame some rigidity

1-10 should give you about 375 at the wheels.
11-17 shoud keep things from breaking and help with launching the car.

The bill for all this should be north of US$12,000.

Of course since you're in Canada, you'll get screwed a probably pay $20,000 or more.

You could do a Cobra 4.6L DOHC swap, but it wouldn't be easy.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Default Re: I'm new-don't know where to go for help...

Quote:
Originally posted by nub
The following are kind of goals and I would like to know if they are realistic or not:
1a)I am aiming at beefing my engine up to 500 horses, is this doable?(will I be running the risk of bending my frame?)
1b)What is going to be cheaper-doing an engine lift(if I do one it'll be upgrading to a 5.0L cobra engine straight from the manufacturer), or beefing up the current 4.6L to achieve 1a?
See my post above. If you want a 5.0L engine, you're better off to just sell your car and buy a 94-95 GT.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

2)I'd like to put some sort of electronic exhaust dumping system(gotta make people look)-and I'm curious if there is such thing for mustangs-for those of you who have never heard of them they allow you to remotely(remotely as in you don't have to get out of the driver seat) switch wether your exhaust travels straight out your exhaust system or straight out of the engine
It's not worth it, just get a complete exhaust system, headers through tail pipes. If you get an off road x-pipe and some loub mufflers, you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

3)To beef up the engine, I imagine I am going to have to super charged and do a whole bunch of other things-do you have recommendations as to which parts/brands I should go with to achieve that level of horse power?(also exhaust systems too)
See post above. You're going to need a Supercharger to get the level of power you want.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

4)Do you know any good body kit webstores or places on the net where I can go to view different mustang body kits?
Pick up a copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and read some of the advertisements, there are lots of body kits to look at.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

5)What about braking systems? I've heard of certain braking systems for trucks to allow them to do brake stands without killing their brakes-can you give me some more info on these if they exsist for mustangs?
They exist, but your tire bill would be quite large. Besides, you should be able to just dump the clutch and smoke them anyway. If you still want them, talk to your speed shop about it when you are buying all your parts.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

6)Is it worth throwin in a nos system into something that would be packing this much power?
I wouldn't

Old 08-01-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
nub
Registered Member

actually it's Ontario-Red Deer is in Alberta-was visiting out that way a few years ago.

So your saying I should go with a cobra 4.6L engine drop if I do anything? A supercharger, highflow exhaust..........what about some sort of intake system? ie. Cal intake(of course I doubt I'd be enough to hit enough RPM).......and if I buy a new stock cobra engine won't it have a governer on it? So then I'll need to buy a chip. A friend who is in this racing club that I know-he said he is buying a racing chip that's adding an extra 100 and some horses-can this be true? With all those add-ons right there how many horses do you think I'll be pulling in?

Now the reason I'm curious about the dumps is cause cops are really picky about noise polutions in my town. And of course I've heard of em but I mean it's just a detail thats a would like more then a want.

375-would that be with the current engine or is that with the dropped cobra engine?

Thanks for all your guys help so far.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:21 PM   #6
surfbeast
Registered Member

you don't want dumps, only a good exhaust. The cobra with a supercharger and all the mods will put you close to where you want to go. Get a Fordchip or Autologic chip, good for some extra horses, it is essential for a blown motor. No way you'll get 100 hp from a chip unless your talking diesel engines.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nub
actually it's Ontario-Red Deer is in Alberta-was visiting out that way a few years ago.
LOL, sorry. Kingston? Half way between TO and Ottawa?

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

So your saying I should go with a cobra 4.6L engine drop if I do anything?
No, I'm saying build up your 4.6L SOHC. IMO a 4.6L DOHC swap would be too complex or costly, unless your building a project car and know what your doing.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub
what about some sort of intake system? ie. Cal intake(of course I doubt I'd be enough to hit enough RPM).......
CAI are pretty useless IMO. Not too mention your going to have a hell of a time trying to get on that is going to fit with an intercooler. Forget about a CAI, you've been talking to too many civic owners.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub
and if I buy a new stock cobra engine won't it have a governer on it? So then I'll need to buy a chip.
When you get Supercharged, your going to have to have the chip custom burned for you, that will fix the governing issue. But as I said above, you don't need a cobra motor.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub
A friend who is in this racing club that I know-he said he is buying a racing chip that's adding an extra 100 and some horses-can this be true?
Your friend either smokes too much crack or hangs out with all the guys who think Fast and the Furious is real. 100 HP is a hell of a lot of power. You'd need more fuel and air besides this "magic" chip

Quote:
Originally posted by nub
With all those add-ons right there how many horses do you think I'll be pulling in?
With all that I'd guess 375 at the rear wheels. Or about 440 HP at the flywheel.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

Now the reason I'm curious about the dumps is cause cops are really picky about noise polutions in my town. And of course I've heard of em but I mean it's just a detail thats a would like more then a want.
If your in Ontario, forget trying to do anything fancy, they'll just slap you with a $400 ticket anyway. Just go with a nice set of headers, catylitic X-pipe, and Cat back system. Have you contacted some of the speed shops in Toronto? You really should.

Quote:
Originally posted by nub

375-would that be with the current engine or is that with the dropped cobra engine?
With the SOHC GT engine, the Cobra would put out some more power, but I think you'd be happy with the set up I mentioned.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
96_4.6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
I'm guessing that your in Red Deer. Am I right??? LOL

You can make your 97 move, but it's going to cost you some cash. Here's what I would do (which is mostly all the stuff Hammer had on his 98 GT)

1. Motorsport Heads - Need these
2. SVO intake
3. Twin bore Throttle body

You can get a twin bore TB for a 96-97 gt and it will help performance?????????

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:01 PM   #9
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 96_4.6
You can get a twin bore TB for a 96-97 gt and it will help performance?????????
It will if you have the big SVO intake and 8 pounds of boost

Old 08-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #10
96_4.6
Registered Member

Yea I was gonna say

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe