MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-13-2000, 10:19 PM   #1
jbs99gt
Registered Member

Post Transmission Help

Hello All,
This is my first post to the board and it happens to be about the 5 speed in my 96 GT. I am having a few problems. The first is that there is a noticable gear moan (for lack of a better word) in first when I am creeping along at around 5 mph. The noise started a little while back and has gotten somewhat worse. It sounds almost like mild grinding. This also happens in third gear while I am cruising at around 20 mph. Although, it is a much milder noise than when first is moaning/grinding.

My second problem is that it is sometimes almost impossible to get the tranny into reverse. I try and try, but the shifter won't got into the slot for reverse.

I appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks in advance!

Josh
jbs99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 10:06 AM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

The reverse isn't a big deal. It's a 5 speed thing. It's not synchronized. If you can't get it in the first time then let off the clutch and push the pedal down again and try to put it in reverse again. It might take a couple trys. Also when shifting into reverse go into in 5th and then to reverse. This also helps cause the two gears use the same shift fork. There are 3 shift forks: 1-2 fork, 3-4 fork, and 5-R fork.
As for the gear moan I'm not sure what you are talking about. I know like when taking off slowly in first you can hear somewhat of a grinding type noise from the tranny. This is just natural according to Ford. I forget the exact thing they call it but it's the gears meshing. No big deal. I don't think I've ever heard it do it in 3rd though which maybe cause I'm never going slow in 3rd. hehe
I'd say that's probably what the deal is but take it to Ford and have the tranny mechanic ride with you around the block or something.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers), 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 46,400 miles. $11,500

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 09-14-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote