MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-28-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
sungho
Registered Member

Default "QUESTION/HELP"cutting or removing exhaust & Catalytical converter system

I would like some advice on cutting the exhaust system from my 98 mustang gt. I have heard that it is an inexpensive way to get more power and a much louder rumble. Is this true?

Also if above is possible can you remove it so that you can put it back on when it comes time for emmisions?

Thanks for your thoughts

"the new mustang do it your self mechanic"
sungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

Your best bet would be to get another set of pipes. MAC sells an offroad h-pipe for $150. Keep your stock one and just swap them the night before you need it tested for emissions.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Re: "QUESTION/HELP"cutting or removing exhaust & Catalytical converter system

Quote:
Originally posted by sungho
I would like some advice on cutting the exhaust system from my 98 mustang gt. I have heard that it is an inexpensive way to get more power and a much louder rumble. Is this true?

Also if above is possible can you remove it so that you can put it back on when it comes time for emmisions?

Thanks for your thoughts

"the new mustang do it your self mechanic"
The only thing I would cut off is the pipes at the back of the muffler. If you do that, you might want to get a couple of dumps to put in their place. When I cut mine off, I drove an hour to see my dad, and the exhaust coming in the car gave me a headache and made me nauseous. After that, I welded some 12" long dumps on them and it dramatically decreased the exhaust that was entering the car. I dont know the laws where you are, but here, the exhaust must extend beyond the rear axle on cars. Mine doesnt, but most cops are lazy in this area.

If you want to eliminate the catalytic converters, get an off road pipe (h or x) and a set of MIL eliminators (to turn off the check engine light). You can swap them with the turn of a few bolts when inspection time comes around.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote