MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-22-2000, 02:13 AM   #1
Black99GT
Registered Member

Unhappy All choked up

About two months ago I went to a local muffler shop and had 2 1/2" dumps welded up. The car sounded bad *** . But after a few days it started running like crap. It was missing real bad between 1800-2200. If I floored it she ran fine but seemed to be lacking power. After a month it got so bad that it would take 4 and 5 times to start when cold. I finally had it checked and it threw no codes. I had the exhaust replumbed and it runs like a bat out a hell again. Any 99-00's with dumps? Same Probs? Different probs? I really want my dumps back but it can't handle it. Any suggestions??

------------------
My Burnout ;-)
3.73 gears
Mac power chamber
2 chamber Flows
Mac cold air induction

Black99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 09:17 AM   #2
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I just recently changed over to dumps and in the process found out my driver side muffler had the baffle blown out of it. I've been driving with no problems now for 3 weeks with the baffle rattling around inside the muffler. I'm replacing the muffler next week.

------------------
00 GT, K&N, MAC Tree Killer, Pullies, 4.10’s, 2 chamber Flowmasters, UPR shifter, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s 13.21@100.90 (1.87 60ft)
M/M 100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool, more to come
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 12:06 PM   #3
LI STANG
Registered Member

Question

you gotta be kidding? Dumps on a 99? Aren't you guys like loosing a sh**t load of low end? Not to mention a dam loud interior with flowmasters.

----------------------
99 gt, bassani tree huggers, w/magnaflows
LI STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 05:41 PM   #4
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by LI STANG:
you gotta be kidding?
Nope

Quote:
Dumps on a 99?
Yep

Quote:
Aren't you guys like loosing a sh**t load of low end?
Nope, I'll have dyno sheets to prove it next Wednesday.

Quote:
Not to mention a dam loud interior with flowmasters.
Nope

I was wondering if anyone would say anything. I had two good reasons to do this one was that a fellow mustanger had a problem while running an offroad H pipe his tailpipes got really hot and actually melted the plastic cover around his gas tank...not cool. Second my driver side tailpipe is hitting my upper control arm which is really annoying and is really close to the fuel lines.

Now I have tons of clearance and as far as interior noise goes it's just deeper not really louder. Love the sound plus you can't beat a mod that not only makes the car sound better but also drops a few extra pounds.

As far as losing power goes I was at the track last week and still ran high 13.2x's spinning 2nd on my bald Nitto at 103.3MPH!

------------------
00 GT, K&N, MAC Tree Killer, Pullies, 4.10’s, 2 chamber Flowmasters, UPR shifter, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s 13.21@100.90 (1.87 60ft)
M/M 100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool, more to come
Old 12-22-2000, 07:25 PM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

On my 96 I dont have mufflers or tailpipes. just dumps after the stock 6 cat h-pipe. No loss of power and not that loud either (surprisingly). With my 3.73s and K&N I dropped from 15.4 (totally stock) to 15.0 in the 1/4. (still shitty, no traction 60 footers)

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS For Sale:$10,500

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 12-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 12-22-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 01:28 AM   #6
Black99GT
Registered Member

#1 reason I did it was for sound. Kept the tail pipes so as not to look stupid with two empty cut outs in the bumper. It was actually quiter with dumps but a hell of a lot deeper.

------------------
My Burnout ;-)
X-pipe
3.73 gears
2 chamber Flows
cold air induction

Old 12-26-2000, 09:42 AM   #7
LI STANG
Registered Member

Unhappy

Ok, good reasons but I thought straight through mufflers are better than flows with an X-pipe.

Mustang92, I never heard of someone melting anything cause of an off-road pipe, maybe it wasn't hung right. Anyway, I really can't argue with 103 mph trap.
Old 12-26-2000, 10:00 AM   #8
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by LI STANG:
Ok, good reasons but I thought straight through mufflers are better than flows with an X-pipe.

Mustang92, I never heard of someone melting anything cause of an off-road pipe, maybe it wasn't hung right. Anyway, I really can't argue with 103 mph trap.
Actually your right straight through mufflers are better than flows for an X-pipe. I have an offroad H so baffled mufflers are better.

I've known two people that have had stuff melt from stock pipes and an Offroad. Personally I didn't have any problems with anything melting but my pipes were really close to the stock fuel lines so it was more or less just another excuse to do it.
Old 12-26-2000, 11:26 AM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

You got to make sure your tuning is right with an off-road pipe. Mustangs have a tendancy to run rich with out cats. My brother law once had 3 foot long flames shooting out the back of his tail pipes when he lifted the throttle with his off-road pipe. Looked cool, but wasn't a good thing.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 01:53 PM   #10
LI STANG
Registered Member

Snake, your talking a modular stang or any stang reguarding tuning with a off-road pipe?

I was thinking about a tree killer(first time i ever heard that reference was this sight)for my 99 with the uh MIL eliminators,(thats what there called?) but not if its gonna shoot flames.

-----------------------
99 gt, bassani tree huggers w/ magnaflows

Old 12-26-2000, 04:32 PM   #11
97snakedriver
Registered Member

My brother's was a 5.0.

MILs work fine to solve the problem. Most people get a pretty good gain with off-road pipes. Most don't shoot flames out the back. His was just way out of tune! Kind of funny though.

Just be aware of what the rules are for emissions testing in your area.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 05:22 PM   #12
LI STANG
Registered Member

Cool

Ohh I Know the advantages of an off-road pipe but only on 5.0s, i'm new to mod motors. I just really hate any loss of low end with these new motors but thats what GEARS are for i guess.

I have connections for emmisions.

The only car on the street i've seen shoot flames was a rice burner.All it was good for!

Old 12-26-2000, 10:11 PM   #13
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

With an offroad H-pipe you should not lose any low end at all, in fact you'll gain more than with an X-pipe. X-pipe just gains more HP where as the H give better low end torque.

I'm getting my dyno'd tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some good numbers to post.
Old 12-27-2000, 09:56 AM   #14
LI STANG
Registered Member

It was a tough choice for my 99, whether to go with a x or h-pipe but I read either in MM&FF or 5.0 magazine a test on a bassani x-pipe which proved considerable gains over an h-pipe. I went with the x which is likely why I felt a little loss of low end but it really comes on stong as rpm's climb.

Definetly post those numbers, curious to see what it takes to run low 13's.
Old 12-27-2000, 12:13 PM   #15
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Just got back from the shop, main reason for going with a problem where my car dies off at the top of the track at the end of 4th gear. They put it on the dyno to reproduce the problem and found out I have a random misfire on one of my cylinders.

Since it was mostly tuning and diagnostics I only got my HP reading. Corrected it was 244.6 at the wheels. They didn't give me a torque reading. I have to change out my plugs and bring it back so we can run it again and I'll get complete numbers but with a bad coil or plug and pulling nearly 245 I'm pretty happy with only pullies, offroad H and a filter.
Old 12-27-2000, 02:06 PM   #16
LI STANG
Registered Member

Red face

All these misfire problems brought up on this page I start to wonder about fords new coil-on plug setup. Most likely the root of the problems.

Even on my '99 I experienced little problems like rough cold starts & other things I never encountered with a 5.0

But, after seeing 245 rwhp from just a bunch of bolt ons now I realize why I had to sell my'93.
Old 12-27-2000, 11:23 PM   #17
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

The problem on my car may not be a coil. I changed out my platinum plugs for copper NGK plugs. Since I put alot of miles on my car it's possible one might be bad, especially when I had a problem with an O2 sensor which made my car run rich for a few months. Anyways I'm going to replace the plugs and get it back on the dyno again for a few more pulls.
Old 01-08-2001, 02:35 PM   #18
Black99GT
Registered Member

Just an update. Took the car back to the shop because the problem came back. It ended up being a bad Mass air. It threw some weird codes I have never heard of. The put in a new Mass air and recalibrated the Computer.

------------------
My Burnout ;-)
X-pipe
3.73 gears
2 chamber Flows
cold air induction

Old 01-08-2001, 05:28 PM   #19
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

How does it run now? Sounds like you got it taken car of.

I change out the plugs on my car and found out that I was running one step hotter of a plug than stock. The NGK TR-55's are hotter than a stock plug and I was leaning out cylinders 2 and 4. I put Autolite 764's and they work perfect.