MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Tranny Choice?
Poll Options
Tranny Choice?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2002, 12:09 PM   #41
96GTPRT
Registered Member

The 4R70W really isnt that bad. I don't know if it shifts that hard but I was able to get the tires to chirp once on the 1-2 shift, and that was with out a shift kit and going through the gears manually. I havent ever been able to do it again but oh well. Overall though, I'd rather have a 5 or 6-speed anyday. Its just so much fun an the only manuals I've ever driven was a Jeep and my friends Civic SI...I can only imagine how much fun it would be in a Mustang.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:08 PM   #42
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Don't know if the 4R70W is junk or not. Stock Mustang's are still losing 1/2 sec in the 1/4 mile with the auto. GM's auto's perform nearly the same as their 6spds.

Until Ford releases an auto that performs near the stick, and it reliable to boot, it's an obvious choice.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:59 PM   #43
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up manual

Bracket Racing: I would run an auto for consistency

Heads up Racing:manual fun factor only reason

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:25 PM   #44
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
Don't know if the 4R70W is junk or not. Stock Mustang's are still losing 1/2 sec in the 1/4 mile with the auto. GM's auto's perform nearly the same as their 6spds.

Until Ford releases an auto that performs near the stick, and it reliable to boot, it's an obvious choice.
The T-45 is terrible and not even in the same league as the 4R70W. I know for a fact that the 4R70W isn't junk because I went 10s on mine and Lidio Lacabelli made several 9 sec. passes with his. The only reason the GM autos perform so well is because the 6 speeds have crappy ratios. 2.66 lst vs 3.06 in the auto is not even close. With Ford autos it's the opposite. 3.35:1 1st(manual) vs 2.84:1(auto). It's important that we look at all of the factors and not just pieces. I have seen the inside of the 4R70W and it is quite stout. I rebuilt mine to handle over 800 hp & 700 lb-ft. You will need to spend atleast $3,000+ to put a streetable manual that can handle near that amount. I spent less than 1/2 that amount.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:59 PM   #45
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

It is only cool to drive an auto if you know how to drive a stick!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:43 AM   #46
06Stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
It is only cool to drive an auto if you know how to drive a stick!
I guess Im part of the problem. I have always been a car and truck fanatic, but started out w/ a truck and my current mustang is my first car. My trucks were late model 4wd so a manual wasnt even an option. I have driven a manual a grand total of one time in my entire life, as i have only had access to do so once, and i took the opportunity. Having that said, thats why my mustang is an auto, I just simply dont "really" know how to drive a stick, which is embarassing to me to say the least. But i also think that i wouldnt want a stick in my situation which is 99.9% city driving, literally stop light to stop light. I think I would get tired of having to shift all the time. I just got my car to be able to enjoy my time in the car, and think the shifting on the way to school and work wouldve taken away from the intent of my purchase.

Will

ps - i have an 03 GT, what auto does it come w/ from the factory?
Old 10-23-2003, 04:14 PM   #47
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Talking Stick VS. Auto?

Theres too many variables in this question for someone to try and say how one is better... Its like most other things in life, there is a balance to everything... if a manual or an auto were so much better than each other then one would be the only choice... sort of like a shortcut or a highway... theres something difficult about the shortcut otherwise it would be the way...

On the technical side Manuals only lose about 15% of the power through the driveline... Auto's About 25% ...Approximately... not to mention manuals weight less, they cost less, and they are more fun... thats odd isn't it?

Personally I like a manual, I wouldn't ever have anything but a manual in a sports car unless i was a serious drag racer. Theres very few things in life that excite me like ripping through the gears of a Manual Sports car with some loud exhaust. Speaking of which here is something kinda cool for all you stick fellas...

Ripping Through The Gears

Its Summer and You’re sitting on a sunlit back-road with the windows down and the gentle breeze blowing across your face. You reach down and grab the key as you press the clutch in firmly. As you turn the key to the on position, you hear the fuel pump arm as it fills the fuel lines as if it were the cars heart. You gently turn the key one last notch and your exhaust's thunderous Roar permeates the air, as if it were thunder from the heavens. As the engine nears idle speed, you can feel the deep loping rumble of your exhaust in your chest as it seems hard to breathe. The excitement fills your whole body as adrenaline begins to pump and you can feel your blood rushing through your veins. You close your eyes and rev the motor and feel the power vibrating through the floor board into your feet. You then look out across this back road in awe, for in its emptiness is freedom. You reach down and grab the shifter and pull it back into the neutral, then knock it twice against the transmission wall for luck and return it to first gear. You take one last look into the rear view mirror, and then rev the motor to 4,000 RPM and dump the clutch. Your rear tires begin to squall and blister the pavement as they fumigate your fender wells with white fluffy voluptuous smoke. You look up as your tach does its ritualistic dance through the RPM range and nears it’s redline. As you are pushed back into the seat, you notice your tires are beginning to regain traction, for their squalling has slowed to an erratic chirp as the limited slip distributes power between the wheels. The speedometer begins to move faster and faster as your shift light flashes in your eyes. You quickly press in the clutch and without letting off the gas you snatch the shifter violently back into second gear and release the clutch. You feel the acceleration of the car exceed that of your body’s, as you’re jerked viciously into the seat, while the rear tires then burst loose from the pavement for a second while the tires play catch-up with the drivetrain. The S-K-I-R-K-I-R-K sound echoes through the blur of passing trees as the tach once again does its dance towards the redline. Your exhaust, screaming at wide open throttle, saturates the landscape around you with it's heavenly chorus. You take a firm hold on the shifter and as the shift light flares up you swiftly, in one precise motion, press the clutch and ram the shifter into third gear without letting off the gas. You instantly release the clutch, and as the tires chirp you look down at the speedometer which is promptly approaching 115MPH. With the Stampede of American V8 Horsepower consuming your every thought, adrenaline takes your mind and body into overdrive. As you press in the clutch, rip the shifter back to fourth gear, and dump the clutch you feel more alive than ever. The speedometer jumps as the clutch is depressed and approaches 120, 130, 140, 150, and 155MPH. Your whole life flashes before your eyes as if your in a dream or state of bliss. You release the gas pedal and begin to slow down. Your knees are shaking and your hands are cold and sweaty. You’ve got a grin on your face like a child has at Christmas. What is all this to you? Some say freedom, some say bliss, some say paradise, some say other things. I say its all of the above.
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

"I Like anything Fast Enough to Do Something Stupid In"
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:41 PM   #48
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Snake, you are the greatest. I love this guy. You should be writing for MMFF!!!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 10-23-2003, 06:22 PM   #49
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

What Snake is realling trying to say is that if you drive an automatic, his story would go something like this:

"You put the key in the ignition, turn the key and the car starts! You check your makeup in the mirror and then press the little thingy on the floor and the car goes."

My Stang:
Old 10-23-2003, 07:47 PM   #50
06Stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
What Snake is realling trying to say is that if you drive an automatic, his story would go something like this:

"You put the key in the ignition, turn the key and the car starts! You check your makeup in the mirror and then press the little thingy on the floor and the car goes."
See this is the kind of attitude that pisses me off. Just because I drive an automatic, doesnt make the joy of driving any less for me. Nor does it mean im any less of a man. To me, people that think driving a stick is an artform are stupid, you could teach a monkey to drive a stick, its not that hard, but I dont feel the need to point that out because its just not relevant. I got the Mustang to enjoy my time in it, whether its an auto or a stick, doesnt matter, its still a Mustang, and Im still loving the ride!

Will
Old 10-23-2003, 09:42 PM   #51
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default :)

Will,

Although what blake said was funny as hell (im sure he meant it in good fun), my intent on that story was not to poke fun at anyone who drives an automatic... It was merely to express my love for driving a Manual... As to you thinking that someone may think your less manley for driving an automatic... thats perposterous... And even if its not who cares what people think... hell i'll probably get called some derogitory names for saying what i did in my post... but you know what... I could give 2 sh*ts what anybody on this forum thinks... Its all supposed to be in good fun... not to mention your gonna catch static in life when you deal with cars... theres always gonna be somebody who thinks his/her car looks better, is faster or any number of other things... What sets you and them apart is how u deal with what they say and think... laugh it off, there are plenty of guys outthere, my self included, who like cars enough to not be like that. But in anycase if it would make you feel better think about it like this... 90% of those people who say bad things are just jelous of what you have... So have pitty on them... They aren't as fortunate as you...

A Fellow Mustang NUT,
David
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

Old 10-23-2003, 09:54 PM   #52
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Alright, I admit it. My other two cars are both automatics.

BTW, I would have bought my Mustang with an auto or stick.

My Stang:
Old 10-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #53
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Oh by the way

Oh by the way your right, driving a stick isn't an artform... to you... when in all actuality it is... By definition an artform is an unconventional form or medium in which impulses regarded as artistic may be expressed... And artistic by definition is a showing of imaginative skill in arrangement or execution of a skill and a culmination of attitude, balance, sychronization, sensory perception, and Rhythem among other things... But I guess what do I know... I'm stupid

David

Old 10-23-2003, 09:59 PM   #54
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Man I'm stupid I keep forgetting things

You can teach a monkey how to drive a stick? For Real!?!? I gotta see this...

Old 10-23-2003, 10:22 PM   #55
06Stang
Registered Member

Ok, i was about to edit my reply where i didnt sound quite as ticked, since i didnt intend for it to sound that way, but it does piss me off when people bad mouth autos. I do think you could teach a monkey to drive a stick, or an auto, auto would be easier. And, yeah, i dont consider it an artform, but hey, to each his own. I just dont see a reason to bad mouth either choice, people have their own reasons. I am in the middle of defending the 4.6L motor on my old GM board. I just am not the kind to stand idely by and let something that doesnt deserve to be, be badmouthed, by the ignorant or uninformed. Im glad everyone seems to be on the same wavelength now. Mustangs Rule!

edit - also, im still curious as to which auto my car has? its an 03 GT.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:50 PM   #56
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default 03 GT auto is a = _______.

4R70W

Old 10-23-2003, 10:58 PM   #57
06Stang
Registered Member

Default Re: 03 GT auto is a = _______.

Quote:
Originally posted by WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
4R70W
Ok, so inform me since im new to the Mustang game, is that a good auto transmission? I had an E 4OD or something like that in my 96 F150 and I thought it shifted like le shitto, but I got a shift kit in it but was about to have problems w/ the tranny anyway. The trans in my current car seems to shift very firm, more than even the kitted one in my truck.

Will
Old 10-23-2003, 11:15 PM   #58
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default answer

An auto truck tranny is beefed up more for towing things... its internal parts are made from heavier more inertia retaining materials... thats why they shift like sloppy crap... the Gt's auto was designed to ride and shift like a mercedes or bmw tranny... smooth and crisp... I guess because they figured old people and girls would be buying the autos... (not making fun just stating possible facts).... But the 4R70W "they say" can handle virtually anything you can throw at it... sticky tires power adders whatever...

Old 10-23-2003, 11:17 PM   #59
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

oh yeah the truck tranny was probably a AODE a four speed overdrive auto... it was designed for the 5.0L mustangs and things in that time period... I guess simply the technology wasn't as good then as it is now... I've only heard bad things about those old Autos.... but the new ones are nice...

Old 10-31-2003, 09:29 AM   #60
johnster25
Registered Member

Wade73
I just want you to know that the first time that I raced my 2000 GT vert (auto), I raced against a 2001 GT 5sp, well I smoked him and I had my top down, another person in with me, and the only mod that I had (if you want to call it that) was a K&N filter. The guy I raced had an exhaust, and cold air. I did smoke him and I wanted to let you
johnster25 is offline   Reply With Quote