MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2003, 10:03 AM   #1
Brien
Registered Member

Default GT idle

My stock 2002 Mustang GT five-speed seems to idle a little rough. RPM is 650 to 750 and I can feel a slight vibration. The dealer replaced a fuel valve but it didn't change anything. Is this normal?
Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
Big Will
Registered Member

Same thing with my GT, but other than that,my stang runs great!
Big Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
Brien
Registered Member

Default Big Will's reply

BW -- the dealer's mechanics seem to think it's normal so I reckon it must be. My GT also runs great. It's my fourth one and I'm not disappointed. Brien
Old 03-09-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
Mstng93SSP
Registered Member

It is not normal. there were several technical service bulletin's out from Ford on this very issue. The bulletin stated that some 2002 and 2003 mustangs, 5 speed only would exibit a rough idle condition and that ford engineers were working on the problem. I have been told there should be a fix via computer reprogramming in june or july of this year. I can research to find the Tech. Service Bulletin # if you want it.

Chris
Old 03-10-2003, 03:04 AM   #5
Big Will
Registered Member

Why hasn't Ford contacted me about the idle fix? Is this secrect info or are you insider? What about all the other people who don't surf mustang sites, who is going to inform them? Just a few questions I thought I throw out there.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:03 PM   #6
Mstng93SSP
Registered Member

I am not an "insider", I simply have a 2002 mustang that idles like crap. I took it back with 500 miles on it and was given a copy of the TSB as an explination as to why they did nothing to the car. Then I started digging into it, calling ford etc. They are not going to send out any notices to anybody as it is not a recall, and will only address the people who have problems with their cars. Take your car in to ford, if they don't fix it, call the head office and make some noise.

Chris
Old 03-11-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
Brien
Registered Member

Default GT idle

It's too bad Ford's taking that stance. Owners complaining about something as simple as the idle doesn't inspire people to buy that car. The owner of the dealership from which I purchased my GT is a friend and, while I normally don't bring business into our conversations, I'll ask him about this and post the response.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:27 PM   #8
Mstng93SSP
Registered Member

The real sad thing is this, I have been waiting since September 2002 for them to come up with a "fix" for it. Even when I called ford headquarters I was told "You just have to wait. What exactly do you want ME to do about it, it is an engineering problem and it is being worked on". Nice customer service eh?

Chris
Old 03-11-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
Mstng93SSP
Registered Member

The Special Service Message was # 16243, but according to Ford, the SSM has been discontinued. It read...

" 2002-2003 Mustang-Engine rough idle with AC off"

"Some 2002-2003 Mustangs with manual transmission may exhibit a rough idle condition that goes away when the AC is turned on. Engineering is investigating. DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIRS AT THIS TIME. Continue to submit EDSRS."

This was dated 10-4-2002.

Chris
Old 03-11-2003, 08:20 PM   #10
Janeofalltrades

Default Hi Ya' Fellas

Hi Ya' Fellas.....I Have a 2003 GT with AOD....So far, so good....If a rough idle is all we got so far...Ummmmm we are doing pretty good...considering the hundreds of thousands of components to these modulated engines. More computers than the first Space Craft... LOL

I am sure you guys have this link. But, if not...has TSB and Recalls on the cars up to 2003.

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

Good luck....

Jenn
Old 03-12-2003, 08:30 AM   #11
Brien
Registered Member

Default GT idle

I can't argue with Jenn's logic -- if the rough idle is the only problem I encounter with the GT, I'll consider myself fortunate. On the other hand, the roughness is an indication of a problem which time and/or mileage may exacerbate.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
Mstng93SSP
Registered Member

Well, if it were the only problem I would probably be happy. I have had the tranny out and the synchro's replaced, it still shifts like a mack truck, the rough idle and the hood not closing without practically jumping on it. I fixed the hood myself by enlarging the latch bracket holes and moving the bracket up, I doubt the dealer would have fixed that. Their "technical" response would have probably been "Ya just need to slam it, that's a normal condition for Mustangs".

Chris
Old 03-12-2003, 07:12 PM   #13
Big Will
Registered Member

Thanks for the updates,keep us posted!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:26 PM   #14
Janeofalltrades

Default BUMMER!

Mstng93SSP ahhhh dude..that just breaks my heart.... It seems that the Stangs are sorta up there with the (don't flame me) Jeeps. You either get one you love..or you get one you hate. It is hard to figure out why some have more problems than others. You can usually chaulk it up to the production line and tooling issues.

This was a great concern of mine when I heard that Ford was ceasing production of the Stang in the Deerborn, MI plant and moving prodution to the Flatrock Plant. Well, to say the least..That is a Mazda plant. My father was a machinist and I could not comprehend in my mind how you can have a production line set up for the proper tooling and assembly of a rotary engine and a standard modulated engine into a final solid product. So, I chose to get an '03 before they really ****#@ things up.

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your car. I felt a great deal of trepidition when I encountered a low oil reading after the engine valves and seals had seated in my car. I could not imagine the nightmare you have gone through man! I bought my car right off the truck, paper was being peeled off and after my test drive the engine had 7 miles on it. It is the first engine I have had the opportunity to break in and seat properly. I did not have to worry about someone mistreating it or driving it like a freak before the "break in" period. My heart goes out to you...

Take care and let us know how things go.

Jenn
Old 03-13-2003, 03:36 AM   #15
Mstng93SSP
Registered Member

Luckily everything has been resolved except the idle problem. as soon as that is fixed I will be happy because the rest of the car is all good. There have been many many issues raised by people with the new tremec tranny so I don't feel too bad about that either as I am not alone on that one. I really think the idle problem is nothing that couldn't be fixed by a supercharger and a dyno tune........