MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
stangt00
Registered Member

Angry Buick GN's and Turbo Regals

How many of you out there have had the pleasure of encountering one those cars out there on the road? Now for those of you who have, did you get smoked? I wouldnt be surprised if you did. Those damn 6 bangers are deadly, running 11's with less than $2K in mods. I feel CHEATED when I think about it, and am embaressed to drive my stang while in the presence of those cars. Think about it, how much $ does it take to get a stock GT to run 11's WITHOUT nitrous? Quite a bit of $ huh? On top of that, most of us are still making car payments on top of it This kind of crap is what really pisses me off about Ford. They can make cars like the 03 Cobra which can run 11's with about $2K of work done to it, but they are SO limited and expensive. Why cant they make a production car that PRODUCES atleast 300HP or more from the factory at the same or maybe a few hundred more $'s of a normal GT?
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Yep, those GNs can be made into street killers.

I myself have been smoked by 2 of them (They happen to be owned by friends of mine).

I just don't understand your animocity...

You're pissed off at Ford because the Mustang doesn't run 11s with 2 grand in mods... Ummm, I hate to tell you this, but 99.99 percent of every road vehicle ever made falls into that category, including most sports cars....

The Buick GN is one hell of a platform, but there are also disadvantages too.

I the Buick GN were the "perfect" car wouldn't you think they would still be made?

In general, as far as "bang for the buck" goes, the Mustang is one of the best buys out there for performance, reliabilty, and even grocery getting and baby toting.... I think Ford is doing just fine...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The last years they made of those cars were definitely fast with alot of potential for more boost, but you are talking about a car made over 15 years ago when you could buy a brand new stripper 5.0LX for $10K. The Buick turbo cars cost a decent amount more than that - throw some heads, intake, cam, and a blower on the 5.0 for the money. They were cool cars but nothing to get mad at Ford about. Even the '87 GNX (the fastest of those cars) stock ran in the 13s at around 100mph.
Also, to call the '03 Cobra limited and expensive is a little silly if you compare it with other cars for sale today. Nothing comes close to having over 400hp for $35K (they are underrated at 390) and I see new ones available for sale all over, so they aren't that limited.
As for making a GT run 11's, you can do it with a new GT, a blower, and stickies in the back. Are you just bitter because you bought all the bolt-ons for yours instead of going for a blower right off the bat?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

I have to disagree with this 2K mods to make a GN run 11s statements. Everyone I have seen make that statement never owned one. Anyway, I go to the GN vs Mustangs shootouts at Englishtown and Atco every year and speak to many owners. I especially speak to the ones with GNs for sale and they tell me about all of the problems they encounter. Also how it takes a little more money to get them solidly into the 11s than people think. You also can't compare an N/A GT to a poweradder car. I watched and taped over 100 passes and I counted 4 that ran 10s and few that ran 11s and most ran 12-14s. The bone stock GNs ran low 14s in 50 degree weather at what most would consider an awesome track(Englishtown). I hope to encounter one on the street and he better be running alot more boost than me.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
stangt00
Registered Member

My animosity towards ford isnt because of the GN's, or because they dont make production 11's cars. Simply put, the Mustang is one of the longest running, most popular cars with the highest trend of consistant owners, yet they do very little to give something back to the community. By this I mean several things. To start, I hate hearing about some of these dealers with warranty work on slightly modded cars. Most of these guys just want that little extra that the car is capable of but the manufacturer failed to provide. So they put on an exhaust and K&N, then the dealership gives them a HARD time to do any warranty work. Even though its illegal on their part, it still happens. Also, I feel Ford Motorsports should be more deeply involved in the production GT's and put some of the parts we buy aftermarket on from the factory, or atleast make it an option. Things such as Rear end gears, headers, T/B's, M/A's etc... Maybe it's a far cry and too much to ask for, but hell, I can rant and rave if I want to

As for the 2K for 11's out of the GN's, I got that info from a few different people. They do all their own work, and are pretty creative. Granted there may only be a handfull out there that have actually spent that little for those #'s, but it was still possible.

I am not mad because of the $ I spent on the bolt ons instead of a blower. I am not going to spend money on a blower cause Im going for a Turbo which is in the works right now. Alot more power with the same amount of boost from a turbo. Not to mention the countless vids of blown 8's getting eaten by turbo 6's.

As for the Cobra, you may see alot of them for sale, but they are still limited numbers. Also, $10K is alot to pay for 140hp more, atleast IMO. Yeah yeah its 4V blah blah blah, and I wish I could afford one. But thats part of my point. The Cobra should be a 500hp production car and the GT around 325 to 350hp. They have the technology and the $. I can do without the SVT emblems and package, I just want the engine.

All in all, my little rant was just that. I love seeing how many people come to Ford's rescue when things like this come up Makes me proud to own one. Still wish Ford did more though
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.

Last edited by stangt00; 03-13-2003 at 07:46 PM..
Old 03-13-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
The Deuce
Registered Member

stangt00

Name me one car that runs solid 11's stock.

Then you can complain about Ford mass producing 13 second cars for $25k.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:05 PM   #7
stangt00
Registered Member

Quote:
My animosity towards ford isnt because of the GN's, or because they dont make production 11's cars
I never made any reference to a production vehicle that ran 11's. That would be insane. Could you imagine the insurance costs on something like that?

Quote:
Then you can complain about Ford mass producing 13 second cars for $25k.
I love my stang. Since the first day till my last. All I am saying is, they only cracked the door open with these motors. With only minor changes, they can pump atleast 30-40hp more.

Quote:
Maybe it's a far cry and too much to ask for, but hell, I can rant and rave if I want to
Old 03-14-2003, 02:26 AM   #8
281rush
Registered Member

I'm on both sides owning an 87 turbo regal and an 01 gt with a vortech supercharger. Your right the V6 was ahead of it's time and running mid 12's all day on a fully loaded everyday regal was fairly easy. Under 2K and running 11's on an everyday loaded regal I don't agree. You can spend alot of $,time, and frustration when you start going faster. As for my mustang I love it. Great bang-for-the-buck! I spent less for my stang and blower than an f-body guy did. GM priced themselves out. I beleive that most true street cars (whole other topic on what is a real street car) run 12's and slower. Very few run in the 11's and quicker. My regal runs 11's and my stang runs 12's. Both a blast. When I spent less on my car and can beat a more expensive f-body car no problem I'm laughing. Yes mine isn't stock and the f-body still is, $for$ I'm still ahead, that is good bang for the buck. By the way back in 87 from the dealership by todays standard they were not cheap to buy.

Last edited by 281rush; 03-14-2003 at 02:39 AM..
281rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i have come across one and decided to just let him pass. and don`t forget if you take off the stock factory power adder they are crap a believe a true engines potential is how much power it makes naturaly aspirated in that case a stock gt will kill it then turn it over and ***** it up the A** don`t be ranking on the almighty ford
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #10
429mustang
Registered Member

Grand Nationals were definitely my favorite cars for a few years, I raced a Turbo Regal in my 86 GT (93 motor, e-cam,headers, small bolt-ons, nothing major-ran 14's) He gave me about a 6 car-length start and totally trashed me half way down. I'm pretty sure he ran high 11's, low 12's. He had an adjustable wastgate, intercooler, built up 2004r trans and a few other small things, but stock turbo/engine internals. Their pretty sweet cars, but one in good condition will go from around $8000-16,000. For that much $$$ you could pick up an early 90's foxbody and put the rest of the money into heads/intake/cam/supercharger/gears and smoke a GN, plus you'll still handle better than any Regal.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:11 PM   #11
stangt00
Registered Member

Now these are the kind of replies I LOVE to see. Way to keep the faith, all of you. I never lost faith, and I hope before you replied you read through all of my posts on this thread. If not, then you missed everything I had to say. $ for $, bang for the buck, hands down top 5 contender (if you include rice). But, in my opinion, with the following Ford has had and the millions they make off people like us, they could do just a little bit more to the non SVT stang's. I think we as current and previous owners deserve that little extra. Dont we all? Thanks to all of you for your posts. Like I said before, I am pround to own my stang, and be a member here. P.S., it's getting hot over here, can someone turn down the thermostat ?
Old 03-14-2003, 09:06 PM   #12
The Deuce
Registered Member

Don't worry. There is more power coming. There is always more power coming.

Old 03-14-2003, 09:48 PM   #13
surfbeast
Registered Member

I hope FORD puts in more power soon! Nissan has a mini van with 245 HP now! The v-6 mustang needs to be pumped up big time. Think of it, a sports car that can be flat out wipped by mom in her mini van. The v-six stangs need to be 250 hp and the GT's 300 to 320 with the Cobra 390+. I may just be dreaming and maybe the new breed of sixes with 240 + HP may not be able to compare to a sports car (mustang) with less HP but come on! a sports car should have it where it counts, in the HP department! The new stock GT's with 260HP are being outdone ( in HP ratings which I know are dependent on many factors to put that HP to use) by MANY V-6 ricer cars, to numerous to name that have HP ratings of over 260HP. I don't mind being whipped by a turbo v-6 but when grandma leaves me in the dust with her new VW something is wrong! We need MORE STOCK POWER!!!

L8TR
Old 03-14-2003, 10:57 PM   #14
stangt00
Registered Member

That is exactly the kind of stuff that I am talking about. A nissan altima that, according to car and driver, was faster stock than the GT stang. How embarrasing is that? I gotta agree, the 6 banger is WEAK. I may not have said it earlier on in this thread but that was more or less my whole point. Thanks for the help in clarifying what I was thinking . Grandmas buick runs faster than the V6 stang I think Ford has some of the weakest output in almost every class, especially trucks, by comparison to chevy and dodge. NOBODY can argue against that.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:20 PM   #15
96_4.6
Registered Member

I'm not a big fan of the V-6 stang cause there not for performance, we have the gt. Maybe I'm just a dick but it makes me mad when i always see the v-6 stangs with K&N stickers all over it tryin to race me and other people. Like i said maybe its just me but i dont like that, i see them tryin to drive all fast and tryin to burn out and show off, sorry to get carried away it just kinda gets to me.

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:15 AM   #16
biecomp
Registered Member

A 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE ran 15.4 . From Road and Track. Don't worry about it.
biecomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:30 PM   #17
429mustang
Registered Member

I agree with 96_4.6, I don't know why they even make a 6 when the Mustang is supposed to be a "performance" car, there's nothing performance about a car with a slow v-6 that can't handle and doesn't look good with cheap wheels. I guess some people don't have the extra $ or want to pay more for insurance, if that were me I would be looking at a cheaper foxbody 5.0 (which I'd rather have anyway) or something else in the same pricerange as the v-6 models, I just wouldn't want to settle for the low end model, I'd rather get a cheaper highend model from a different car company.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:32 PM   #18
The Deuce
Registered Member

Truth is, the people who buy the 6 cyl stangs helped pay for ours. It's all about incremental cost, and when those go away, up goes the price of our cars, and more notably the Cobra.

I'm all for them. Besides, they'll make great parts cars in 30 years.

Old 03-15-2003, 03:28 PM   #19
Technick
Registered Member

The Deuce has a good point! There are more V-6 stangs sold than there are V-8 stangs! It is all about marketing and making $. It is about NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). If you look at the "average" Mustang buyer you would find that they do not want the harsh ride that comes from having a better handling car, they do not want the louder exhaust that makes more H.P. They do not want the little driveabilty quirks that sometimes appear on higher H.P. N/A cars. The cost per car to implement just a few of the changes is not much but times it by several thousand cars and you end up with a $30K Mustang instead of a $25K car. Believe it or not the "average" Mustang driver does NOT want to modify their cars. Be glad that there are a lot of us who do and that drives a huge aftermarket. Besides IF Ford built the perfect Mustang (in our opinion) then all of those "poor" aftermarket companies would go out of business! Nobody to sell parts to anymore. DAMN the 03 Cobra is almost that car! And for ONLY 35K!! It takes virtually nothing to get them to run 11's! How sweet is that!