MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-2000, 11:21 AM   #1
King Snake
Registered Member

Question Cobra Underdrives

I read in the 1999 FMS catalog that the 1996 Cobras came stock with FMS underdrive pulleys. Before I go buy some pulleys, I would like to find out if my '97 model is equipped with them from the factory. Any ideas??? Thanks!
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 11:54 AM   #2
Skip Hamer
Registered Member

If I remember right, the '96 Cobra's in some areas of the country were having cooling problems and they put different pullies on them at the dealerships to correct the problem.
Skip Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2000, 01:09 AM   #3
jmeiers

Wink

I have a 97 Cobra and I can tell you that it doesn't have underdrive pulleys from the factory. Get the Steeda pulleys with the harmonic balancer built in to the crank pulley.

Later, Jason

------------------
1997 Cobra -- #572 of 6,961, White, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, WMS Velocity Tube, Dynomax Race Magnums, HPM Megabite Jr. Control Arms, FMS "C" springs, Manual Fan Switch, Autometer Shift-Lite

<A HREF="http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/ViewIt.cgi?http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?772" TARGET=_blank>

Click here</A> to see my Cobra!
Old 06-05-2000, 05:32 PM   #4
96cobra89Lx306

Here is something else to consider too Meiers but it's off topic. I had that WMS velocity tube too bro. You won't believe how much more power you can get up top by switching to a C&L 80 mm mass air. Just make sure you use the shield though. The K&N on the WMStube is too small to make power. the huge 9 inch filter combined with the 80 mm meter really works.

How do you like those Race Magnums though??

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower w/out steeda timing adjuster
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

[This message has been edited by 96cobra89Lx306 (edited 06-05-2000).]
Old 06-07-2000, 12:14 AM   #5
jmeiers

Smile

I am getting the 87mm Pro-M MAF that is specially calibrated to go with it. I just couldn't afford it at the time, so I just bought the tube by itself. You are probably right about making power with the 80mm, but I really like the looks of the WMS because I think it really cleans up the looks of the engine compartment. Mine is silver powdercoated to match the intake and valve covers.

I like the race magnums. They have no drone and are only slightly louder at idle than the stock mufflers. At WOT, they scream. I expect them to be really healthy sounding once I get either a bassani xpipe with cats or an offroad xpipe. I am used to the drone from my old 93GT with MAC Flowpaths and offroad hpipe. So these are like night and day.

Later, Jason

------------------
1997 Cobra -- #572 of 6,961, White, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, WMS Velocity Tube, Dynomax Race Magnums, HPM Megabite Jr. Control Arms, FMS "C" springs, Manual Fan Switch, Autometer Shift-Lite, BFG Drag Radials 275/50/15

<A HREF="http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/ViewIt.cgi?http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?772" TARGET=_blank>

Click here</A> to see my Cobra!
Old 06-07-2000, 11:22 AM   #6
96cobra89Lx306

I hear you on the WMS tube's looks.. It is a very professional looking piece. It's the fender area that is the problem for picking up air but if you could figure out how to get more air in there you'll be ok.

The RM mufflers will scream when you get the rest of your exhaust done. I have the Bassani w/cats and it sounds pretty strong even w/ the stock mufflers. i can't decide on what I want this car to sound like. I love killing other cars and having my car sound pretty quiet. It's a stealth thing and it keeps the neighbors happy.
Old 06-09-2000, 10:00 AM   #7
King Snake
Registered Member

I can't decide on what I want mine to sound like either. I have heard really good things about the DynoMax systems, but a friend of mine told me that "nothing sounds as good as Flowmasters." I plan on keeping my stock H-pipe, although I do have a BBK off-road H-pipe in the attic. I took them off because I wanted to stay legal, plus it made the exhaust really stink.
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote