MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-06-2000, 09:06 PM   #1
v8powered
Registered Member

Question Shifters

I see that a lot of the people that post on this site have the Steeda shifter. What is the advantage of that vs the hurst short throw shifter and how much can be expected to apy for it. Are there any people that know what the differences or real advantages are? I have the Hurst shifter on my 99 GT and it really shortened the throw by about 50% but what is so hot about the Steeda?? It must be pretty damn good!!!
v8powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2000, 12:01 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

The tri-ax has a few things going for it...

1. It has 2 positions, a long throw using a comfortable hand position. (Still shorter than stock) and a short throw that is reported to be the shortest in the industry.

2. The reason I like it is the definate shift points. There's no guessing what gear you're in, and you can just about kick it from 2nd to 3rd without fear of missing the shift.

A good shifter by any standard...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"

"They think they can make fuel from horse manure.... Now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning."
- Billie Holliday
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2000, 12:03 AM   #3
T_Bone
Registered Member

Nothing really special. I'm sure your Hurst is just fine and probably feels identical to a Steeda Tri-Ax.
The reasons I went with the Steeda was the name "Steeda Tri-Ax" sounds damn cool, and it sure looked pretty on the back cover of those MM&FF mags. But once you put the cover back on the shifter, it's just a short throw shifter...I think.
I might get a Pro 5.0 on my next car to see if there is a difference in performance and feel.

------------------
T-Bones '96GT

'96 GT 5-speed
Roush Cold Air Kit w/ K&N, 80MM Mass Air, Mac Cat-Back, Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70MM TB, March U/D Pulleys, Steeda Tri-Ax.
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2000, 12:49 AM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The Steeda Tri-Ax is a very good shifter, and I would recomend it to others.

If you have a Hurst or Pro 5.0 then I wouldn't worry about. The shifter market seems to be one market that you really can't go wrong with.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2000, 06:41 PM   #5
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I was going to get the Steeda Tri-Ax originally as well. Like T-Bone said, it sounds cool. I actually said the name out loud in a bar and 3 hotties wanted to make sweet, sweet love to me. My wife was p*ssed
Seriously, it was a money issue for me. I couldn't pass up a new customer discount at Carparts.com so I got the B&M Ripper. I had driven a car with one before and I liked it. Really though, anything is better than stock so you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2000, 05:55 PM   #6
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Ever considered the Pro 5.0? I picked up a used one for about $120 and it is great. The shift points almost feel as though they "lock" in. Definitely one of my favorite mods for the money!

------------------
1997 Cobra, C+L 80mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, 3.73's
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote