MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-26-2000, 06:04 PM   #1
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Question X or H?

Well, its almost Christmas, in 3 weeks, so, I am gonna get something for my Mustang! Well, my question is, which is better? An H-pipe or an X-pipe? Are H-pipes much louder? I want a little louder but not to loud, I do live in a small section of Minnesota with cops that hate loud cars so any help would be appreciated!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2000, 08:03 PM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

If you are going to be running a high flow pipe w/ cats, I would get the H-pipe. But if you are going w/ an offroad set-up, I say step up to the X-pipe. Also, it depends on what mufflers you are running. A X-pipe was derived from race cars, so it will work at its full potential w/ a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or something similar. H-pipe will have a deeper sound, but I loved the sound of my X-pipe.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Black w/ grey leather Modified mustang MAC Cold air into ram air, Motorsport 9mm wires, Soon: custom exhaust, chip, built Trans,. yadda yadda yadda

Recently totaled (tear): 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2000, 09:03 PM   #3
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Cool

Thanks man, I do want the deeper growl of a H-pipe, but, I have heard people had to take off their H-pipe cause it was too loud? Also, I have heard once you install an H-pipe sometimes a light will go off? Thats what I am primarily worried about! Thanks for the input so far!

------------------
Old 11-26-2000, 09:48 PM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

Offroad H-pipes (no cats) are pretty loud, even with stock mufflers, but if you get a pipe with the high-flow cats (like I plan on doing) it will not be nearly as loud. Plus you will still gain about 20 hp. As far as the check engine light coming on, running an offroad pipe WILL cause the light to come on (speaking from experience). I have heard that the high-flow cat versions will not set the light. H-pipes also work well with Flowmasters. I will probably get the MAC high-flow cat H-pipe and 3-chamber flows. That combination should sound/perform pretty sweet!

------------------
'97 Cobra, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, Rio Red

[This message has been edited by King Snake (edited 11-26-2000).]
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 12:15 AM   #5
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Red face

Is there anyway to fix the light problem? I have stock exhaust and just want an H-pipe! Are all H-pipe's considered off-road? Thanks again!

------------------
Old 11-27-2000, 01:40 AM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Off-road generally means w/o catalytic converters. Running with out cats thoughs the oxigen sensors off. Fortantly its easy enough to fix with MIL eliminators. Houston Performance makes a good set of them.

But most (if not all) exhaulst makers have both off-road and catalytic versions available. The versions with cats should not though off you're computer (IE, no light).
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 03:16 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

97snakedriver is right on. The reason you heard of a light coming on in other 4.6L stangs is because they are running the offroad H-pipe (w/o cats). And thats where also you are worried about it being too loud. The offroad is a lot louder (sounds mean in my opinion) then stock, and the catalytic H-pipe will sound slightly louder, but nothing that will get you in trouble.
The offroad H-pipe seems cheaper, but by the time you buy the MIL eliminators, it will be almost as much as a high flow (catalytic) H-pipe. The offroad pipe is also illegal in most states, so you will have to swap pipes come emissions time. My advice is to get a High Flow catalytic H-pipe, and enjoy the power and sound the legal way.
Old 11-27-2000, 08:24 PM   #8
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Talking

Cool, thanks for allll the advice! Is there a certain brand any of you would prefer? Do they have a web site? Thanks!

------------------
Old 11-27-2000, 10:12 PM   #9
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

There are so many brands at all different price ranges. Your best bet would be to go out and buy either magizine: Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords or 5.0 Mustang. There are tons of adds, and you will be able to compare prices.
But some of the brands that come to mind are MAC (they have 2 types, regular H-pipe and pro-chamber H-pipe),Pacesetter, Catco, BBK, etc.
Some brands that make X-pipes are Bassani, Flowtech, Dr. gas.
Have fun choosing!!!

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Black w/ grey leather Modified mustang MAC Cold air into ram air, Motorsport 9mm wires, Soon: custom exhaust, chip, built Trans,. yadda yadda yadda

Recently totaled (tear): 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system