MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-29-2001, 09:56 AM   #1
waldoo28
Registered Member

Unhappy Help! Crankshaft bolt snapped

Me and a friend were installing the Steeda pullies on his 97 GT. When backing out the provided bolt it got stuck. We could not move it forward or backwards. It finally gave and then snapped. What are our options? Would drilling a tiny hole in the bolt be our only option? Please, HELP! I know this is not the first time that this has ever happened

waldoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 04:54 PM   #2
Ares
Registered Member

Not good...sounds like the threads in the crank or bolt were bad somewhere and it got cross threaded. That would cause it to bind and then snap.

It may be possible to drill a small hole in center of bolt then try and use a bolt extractor. That may not work since the bolt has siezed in crank. I have broken extractors at work on siezed bolts so its not a fun job to do.

If you cant do it you may want to find a machine shop. They may be able to get bolt out and retap crank. This may your best bet and possibly less headaches.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote