MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2002, 03:36 PM   #1
Black02GT
Registered Member

Angry They want to give me a new motor

I bought a new '02 GT in October. Right away I noticed the smell of burning oil through the vents. I made a couple of medium range trips and the smell was still there...3 weeks and 1600 miles later! I took it to the dealer close to where I work (not where I bought it) They informed me that a head gasket was leaking. They removed both head gaskets, checked for cracks or warpage, decarbonized the heads and pistons, and replaced all fluids. The smell was less than before but still present.

I waited a couple of weeks in case oil was sitting in the intake galley or somewhere else. It did not go away. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they called a Ford engineer out who said to fix it again. Then a T.S.B. (Technical Service Bulletin) was issued that stated the heads may not match up to the block.

Now the dealer wants to install a new engine in the car even though I demanded my money back or a new car. I have contacted a lemon law attorney; they are looking at the case right now.

This thread is two-fold. 1) To alert everyone of what I have gone through so far in case this is happening to other 4.6 owners, and 2) Does anyone have any advice on having a new motor installed and how it will effect the value of the car? I'm totally against it.
Black02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 04:25 PM   #2
toyGT
Registered Member

.. Hmm.. I have a similar smell.. but i don't really smell it through the vents .. compared to smelling it outside the car after i get out of it.. been doing it since i first got it .. i wonder if it's the same thing.. my car has 35 000 km's on it so far.. might have to bring it in and have them take a look
toyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 04:48 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles.
I too have had "issues" with the Ford service department at times.

The bright side to this is at least they are still working to correct the issue...

I would go with the flow and take the engine....

I don't see a new engine affecting the value of the car either....

Hope everything works out for you...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 06:00 PM   #4
Ares
Registered Member

If Im not mistaken the Lemon Law deals with fixing the same problem 3 times with nor results. If they wish to give you a new motor without any cost to you then why not, course if you could get a new car out of it then heck even better. Personally I would take the motor. Whatever happens best of luck.
2000 Mustang GT - 5 speed
Race weight w/o driver 3086lbs, 3250 w/ driver

Best 1/4mile run to date: 12.79@105.96, 60' 1.76sec.(10-27-02) Best MPH 106.03(10-27-02)4.10gears
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:23 PM   #5
fixer
Registered Member

I had an engine replaced due to a funny noise. The engine job didn't fix the problem.

I had the same idea--get my down payment back. However, I heard that engines don't match numbers anymore on new cars. But that is what i heard.

My advice: take some chalk or crayon and mark the block. This will give you an indication that they actually replaced the motor.

Make sure when they say NEW they mean NEW--not remanufactured.

Take a real good set of pictures of your entire car. You'll need it cause they'll scratch it and they'll give you all kinds of trouble about getting the scratches out.

Make sure you have them handy when you drop it off. Make the serice advisor initial and date the pictures. Take a picture of the vin or the sticker near the drivers door srtiker to verify that it is your car.

When you get it back, go all over the car looking for messed up bolts and broken connectors.

Also: I have a funny smell in my car as well. it seems to be slowly subsiding. I tdoens't smell like anything really similar to oil. Its kinda like rubbery or plastic.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Okay, we might be adding fuel for the LS-1 fire to roast us with, but I to have noticed a funny smell also. Its easily identified. AntiFreeze.

I have checked all over my car and can see no leaks, and my coolant level has not dropped one bit. I've noticed that smell since the day I took ownership of the car. I had Tim C check behind me and he found nothing either. Perplexing.

As for Numbers matching. I'm not sure about the new times, but in the old days, number matching ment that there was a tolerable consistancy in the date codes from the time the chassis was assembled.

If you keep records of your car, and present this info to the next buyer this should be no issue, nor should it affect the value of the car.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:02 PM   #7
Black02GT
Registered Member

Well, I'm on the way to the dealer right now. They have installed a new engine and I'm going to pick up the car. They have offered me an extended warranty at N/C for my troubles.

As far as the lemon law goes in Georgia, the same problem must happen 4 times for it to be a lemon. Also, if your car is "out of service" for a total cumalative of 30 days, it can be considered a lemon. There is a part that describes "diminished value". If the value of the car is decreased due to a new engine, than that would be my only leg to stand on...so far.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted as to what will happen, as I still have a lemon law attorney reviewing my case. By the way, that kind of service is free to us consumers!

Thanks for all the feed-back. I'll be in touch.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:45 PM   #8
fixer
Registered Member

forgot to mention: the dealer replaced my engine and the same smell is still there.

Ford does have a tsb on heater core failures.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:28 AM   #9
Black02GT
Registered Member

Well, I picked up the car and the engine swap looks fine. It was a "new" motor from Detroit, not a re-man. They didn't scratch anything and all looks to be in order. Now I have to be nice and break it in again...oh well.

I was talking to one of the Master Techs. at the dealer about tranny's & shifter's, and he told me that Ford started putting Tremecs in the 2001 & 2002 GT's! Has anyone else heard of this? How can I tell by looking?
Old 01-25-2002, 06:16 PM   #10
Ares
Registered Member

Started using Tremec 3650's in 2001 to replace T-45.
2000 Mustang GT - 5 speed
Race weight w/o driver 3086lbs, 3250 w/ driver

Best 1/4mile run to date: 12.79@105.96, 60' 1.76sec.(10-27-02) Best MPH 106.03(10-27-02)4.10gears
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:47 AM   #11
fixer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Black02GT

I was talking to one of the Master Techs. at the dealer about tranny's & shifter's, and he told me that Ford started putting Tremecs in the 2001 & 2002 GT's! Has anyone else heard of this? How can I tell by looking?
Drivers side, white sticker above door striker should have a little "K"; this indicates a Tremec equipped vehicle. But the Tremec 3650 has been in Mustangs for many months now so you've likely got one.

And it is a bonafide tremec.

www.ttcautomotive.com

you can actually buy one aftermarket.

Only problem i've found with the trans is the shift quality when cold is about as bad as i could imagine.

No grinding but it is notchy as hell to the point where you think you're grinding.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:18 PM   #12
trueblue02
Registered Member

I was just going through and reading the forum and noticed a similar problem that i just went through. so i am a new member now because i had to let you all know that this just happened to me as well.
i bought my 02 gt at the end of October and after about 300 miles i noticed oil drips. so i take it to the dealer and he says the leak is coming from the head gasket. So he contacts engineering and they want the engine to investigate if there is a flaw or not. So he tells me that they want to replace the entire engine instead of just the head. I had already bought the extended warranty when i bought the car(MISTAKE), and am currently dealing with the service manager to refund my money and keep the warranty. And of course he cannot do anything with out the approval of his regional manager.
Also i was smelling the oil burning smell through my vents and i think it is because of the leaking oil on the block got hot and is coming in. so not good for you Black02GT but it is kind of nice to know that this could be a big problem for the 02 GT's.
trueblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:41 PM   #13
Black02GT
Registered Member

Trueblue02, what dealer did you buy from? Just curious.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:49 PM   #14
trueblue02
Registered Member

Mike Fitzpatric in Newnan,GA
trueblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote