MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Default are Fox and sn95 rears the same??

i allready have a built 8.8 with 4 lug..are the rears the same width..it would be nice if i only have only have to swap the brakes over and get new 31 spline 5 lug axels..or do i have to use the sn95 rear and swap over my 4.10s, diff cover and 31 spline diff and buy new axels???for some reason i am thinking that sn95s are 1 1/2" wider..please tell me im wrong about the size and that the newer style disk brakes will botl right up to my existing rear

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

reasoning behind is this is becasue i am swapping my motor/trans/rear into a newer body style and selling the notch

Old 03-04-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
chatcher
Registered Member

i know a guy who swapped a 96 cobra rear into his 93 lx he has cobra r wheels on the car and they stick out a good ways on the rear a bit more than the foxs i have seen with just the axle drum swap plus i belive i saw somewhere that it was wider but i cant find the site where i read it off hand
Old 03-05-2002, 12:52 PM   #4
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

The fox and SN95 Axles housings are the same.

SN95 brakes will bolt to your fox housing.

You can use the housing with all your goodies in it and just use SN-95 length axles with the SN-95 brakes (endplates, brackets, rotors, calipers).

You will need to do some fabrication because the SN-95 brakes have a rubber line at the end to the calipers. These have a bracket that bolts to the shock mount, and will require drilling. You will need to cut and flare with the proper nut size to match into the fittings. If the car you are putting this into has a donor rear end (7.5 or 8.8) then you can get the hard and flexible lines from that.

The SN-95 axles are 0.75" longer, so your rear track is increased by 1.5". This will give the right "look" in the newer body, otherwise the wheel will be tucked very deep into the rear wells.
Engine: GT40 al. heads, Cobra intake, TFS cam, 1.7RR, etc.... LOLDrivetrain: SPEC II clutch & FMS Billet flywheel, Pro 5.0 shifter w/Cobra knob and aluminum driveshaft through 3.73:1 gears.Chassis: 4 wheel disk w/Cobra front brakes, GT rears and 2001 "Bullitt" wheels
Rear: MM adjustable LCAs with Griggs springs, KYB shocks. Front: Koni red struts, FMS "C" springs and full poly bushings. Full length MM sub frame connectors, steeda 2pt. K-brace.Misc.: 130a alt. upgrade, R134a conversion.
Photos of my car
Tim89LXvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:01 PM   #5
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim89LXvert
The fox and SN95 Axles housings are the same.

SN95 brakes will bolt to your fox housing.

You can use the housing with all your goodies in it and just use SN-95 length axles with the SN-95 brakes (endplates, brackets, rotors, calipers).

You will need to do some fabrication because the SN-95 brakes have a rubber line at the end to the calipers. These have a bracket that bolts to the shock mount, and will require drilling. You will need to cut and flare with the proper nut size to match into the fittings. If the car you are putting this into has a donor rear end (7.5 or 8.8) then you can get the hard and flexible lines from that.

The SN-95 axles are 0.75" longer, so your rear track is increased by 1.5". This will give the right "look" in the newer body, otherwise the wheel will be tucked very deep into the rear wells.
thats great news..so all i have to buy is 31 spline 5 lug axels then