MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-29-2002, 02:12 AM   #1
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Default Which Bolt-ons are best for a 99+ GT?

This is for my friend's car. He wants to start with a shifter but doesn't know what to do next. If you could, make a list of top priorities for bolt-ons. Neither him nor I have the facilities to do anything major so nothing too heavy duty, he's looking for a very low 13 second car. These are what we're considering:
1. Cat back exhaust (entirely for the sound)
2. Catalytic X or H-pipe (emissions is an issue)
3. Gears (373's or 410'S?)
4. Pulleys
5. Cold Air
6. Headers?
7. Mass-air meter
8. Sticky Tires.
How do these sound? Any suggestions for name brands? What are we missing or what should we drop?
Thank you.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:55 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Your list looks great. Only thing you need to remember is if you're going to do headers, (longtubes are the only way to go) you need to put on a matching H-pipe, so just make sure you do those mods simultaneously. Also, when you do the cold air, go with a matching Meter, i.e C&L.

Wait, what does your friend want with all those damn bolt ons anyway. Just tell him to go with a blower from the outset. With that and those drag radials, his car will be a hell of a lot faster than it would with bolton's (trust me, i know from experience, I have all the bolt ons and I'm NOWHERE near where I'd be with a blower) Best of luck.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Most people go with bolt on's because they can only afford a little at a time. Take me, a college student for example. I would love to SC the car, but there is no such thing as saving up $3K+ for a blower on my budget.
red82gt - you guys are right on track. StoplightWarrior is right about the headers and H/X pipe also, so plan that accordingly. I'd also think about a Steeda Timing adjuster to go along with those pulleys. They seem to be worth a few HP and a nice torque gain.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:42 PM   #4
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Thanks guys, I went through one of my MM&FF mags and found a dyno test for longtubes and an offroad H-pipe and the gains were huge! Something like 25hp and 30lbs of torque on an 01 Bullit. My friend would love to have a blower but can't afford it, he's planning on doing bolt-ons after saving up for a couple of months and see what each one is worth. He's going to get a B&M Ripper to start things off (he likes my Ripper) and then he's looking at the BBK longtubes and H-pipe (same as what they used on the Bullit, except he'll do the cat pipe instead).