MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2002, 08:12 PM   #1
Torinalth
Registered Member

Default how can I make 550 HP

hey guys. I just sold my RSX and will be getting my GT within the week!

now, I am planning to get a sean hyland engine built for the GT that supports up to 575 HP. now what will be needed to get the 575..... I willbe blowing it, either turbo or SC, proly SC unless someone can persuade be otherwise. of course header x pipe and muffler system. MAF, TB, k/N filter. as far as engine goes, what else is needed to get my 550 HP? how much boost, what other items are needed t o be added?

Torinalth
Old 06-03-2002, 08:50 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: how can I make 550 HP

Quote:
Originally posted by Torinalth
hey guys. I just sold my RSX and will be getting my GT within the week!

now, I am planning to get a sean hyland engine built for the GT that supports up to 575 HP. now what will be needed to get the 575..... I willbe blowing it, either turbo or SC, proly SC unless someone can persuade be otherwise. of course header x pipe and muffler system. MAF, TB, k/N filter. as far as engine goes, what else is needed to get my 550 HP? how much boost, what other items are needed t o be added?

Torinalth
when I read your title, I was thinking, "This guy will at least need a built shortblock from SHM..." Then I read your post, lol. You might want to talk to turbo99gt. Whether turbo or blower, you're gonna need lots of boost. ARe you shooting for 550 crank, or at the rear wheels?

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:58 PM   #3
Torinalth
Registered Member

well.... the engine can handle up to 575 made by the engine, so everything that way is a cap of about 575...... now I will be getting a T56 and an aluminum flywheel to help get the power to the wheels, maybe a new clutch too. so yeah at the flywheel I'm looking to cap off at 575 or maybe 600 (dont wanna make the engine blow) the shortblock does not make any more HP just is built to take that much power without any other replacements.....

any thoughts are welcome.... might even go the longblock, but need to think about power vs price and see if it is worth it.

Torinalth
Old 06-03-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Remember to beef up your rearend. You seem to have everything figured out for your new ride. But rearend will be key...hook yourself up with a good set of axles from Strange or Moser, some good gears, a nice differential, and maybe a strong differential cover. You may also want to consider a driveshaft loop even if your not gonna be racing. Enjoy your new ride.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
Torinalth
Registered Member

asside from the engine I will be doing
t-56
aluminum flywheel
clutch
Full suspension with subframe connectors
triax shifter
rear axel

now I prolly will not be doing gears for a while, I like to have some top end speed and is the differential and cover a necessity, what all would it do for me? maybe thinking it will snap under the power? also what all is the driveshaft loop?

Torinalth
Old 06-03-2002, 10:31 PM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
asside from the engine I will be doing
t-56
aluminum flywheel
clutch
Full suspension with subframe connectors
triax shifter
rear axel

now I prolly will not be doing gears for a while, I like to have some top end speed and is the differential and cover a necessity, what all would it do for me? maybe thinking it will snap under the power? also what all is the driveshaft loop?

Torinalth
Basically, you need to realize that with that much power, you're gonna break stuff. It's inevitable. A buddy of mine has a blown GT, making around 400rwhp. He finally gave up on it cause it was having so many problems. If you're careful and safe, you'll be ok, but still, things will go wrong under pressure.

A driveshaft loop goes around your driveshaft so that essentially, in case the driveshaft breaks under WOT, it won't break through your floorboards and chop your legs off.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 12:36 AM   #7
Torinalth
Registered Member

ahhh, right, well then, might as well look into that..... and that reminded me that a scatter shield might also be a good idea.... heh.

so stoplight, any suggestions on how to get the power? am I on the right track? suggestions?

Torinalth
Old 06-04-2002, 07:36 AM   #8
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

I think you are on the right track and these guys are providing some great suggestions on how to make a reliable package. I think the only things that we didn't talk about was fuel and tune or engine management system. If you have the $$$, you might want to also get an Aeromotive fuel system with atleast 50# injectors & a damn good tune or an aftermarket engine management system. These are the only things that allowed us to run a 10 sec pass at full weight with 16 psi without scattering the engine. I went with Accel DFI Gen VI because I had one of the best DFI tuners in the country tuning the car. I'm in the process of upgrading to a Gen VII and installing a built engine and P&P heads. You might want to also consider what kind if modified 4.6 tuners you have in your area. This is important because it might impact the route you take in regards to the fuel system, Dynotuned chip or management system.

As far as poweradder, you can go with a TDC Stage IIx, Novi 2000 w/intercooler & Procharger D-1SC to get the power you are looking for. You also might want to compare prices on built shortblocks because there are some new players proving them other than SHM & Houston Performance. DSS Racing, DTA Performance & Racing & a few others that I will provide later.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 03:57 PM   #9
Torinalth
Registered Member

I have one local performance shop, but they are mainy a parts place, not sure if they will help me tune it. the SHM shortblock that will take 7500 RPM and 575 HP runs just under 4k, I'd like to spend less than that.... since I will be dropping another 3-4k on the charger. I forgot about fuel... will be upgrading hte fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail, and injectors.... are cams and valves going to be that important?

also... turbo.... would you suggest a turbo over super, and why or why not.

Torinalth
Old 06-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Quote:
I have one local performance shop, but they are mainy a parts place, not sure if they will help me tune it. the SHM shortblock that will take 7500 RPM and 575 HP runs just under 4k, I'd like to spend less than that.... since I will be dropping another 3-4k on the charger. I forgot about fuel... will be upgrading hte fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail, and injectors.... are cams and valves going to be that important?

also... turbo.... would you suggest a turbo over super, and why or why not.

Torinalth
That is a complicated question. I have had both and I would never go back. I wanted more torque, more topend power, something unique & that runs dead silent. The turbo provided all of those things. It is hard to describe and something you need to experience. The biggest difference between the 2 is at full throttle with an auto, the boost never drops through all 4 gears. With the blower, the boost drops and then builds again and as you go up in gears, the climb takes longer. Both at 12 psi on the exact same car, I trap almost 5 mph faster with the turbo. I will say that both have their pluses & minuses, but if you can swing the $$$$, I would definitely get a turbo. I'm speaking from real world experience on the street and at the track with both setups.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:37 PM   #11
Torinalth
Registered Member

I see why for an auto, but for a manual????

Torinalth
Old 06-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
I see why for an auto, but for a manual????

Torinalth
The turbo makes boost based on load, and the supercharger on rpm. Same effect as an auto when you shift. I've never heard a silent turbo before, all the one's I've heard are pretty loud, including my old Turbo Thunderbird. If I was going for max power, I'd go with the turbo as well. Besides, the supercharger is going to put additional load on your front main bearing and accessories with a lot of boost.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 09:57 PM   #13
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302

The turbo makes boost based on load, and the supercharger on rpm. Same effect as an auto when you shift. I've never heard a silent turbo before, all the one's I've heard are pretty loud, including my old Turbo Thunderbird. If I was going for max power, I'd go with the turbo as well. Besides, the supercharger is going to put additional load on your front main bearing and accessories with a lot of boost.
That is because the turbos you have heard were tiny. Small turbos will spool at idle. My T-76 barely turns at idle and around town because the impeller shaft is alot bigger and stronger. My car sounds like a stock GT. A few people at the light have made that mistake
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Old 06-05-2002, 11:46 PM   #14
Torinalth
Registered Member

nobody I know of does turbos around here, so what woud be needed? I know the Turbo its self, but what size and brand? and I'll need a wastegate, and BOV, but after that I'm clueless. the local mustang shop only sells vortech items, so if I do go turbo then I'm kinda **** outta luck with getting help there.

Torinalth
Old 06-07-2002, 11:44 PM   #15
Torinalth
Registered Member

well I'v decided to go with the Turbo aproach from TDC. after seeing that seleen doing over 1000HP I was sold. going to do around 600 to the wheels, and since you can turn down the power, that is perfect. cant do that with a SC. and the fact that the turbos can quiet down the einges at idle, and sound like a jet at WOT..... mmmm... turbo it is.

going to see if TDC can do a full system, engine, turbo, radiator for a good price, or if getting the shortblock, turbo, and the likes are cheaper. I'll prolly do it all myself, just need to buy tools.

actually, what tools will I need to remove an engine..... I know a winch of sorts...... any more help?

Torinalth