MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
96_4.6
Registered Member

Exclamation All H-pipe users PLEASE READ

To all H-pipe users I just have a common question, do you ever get scared when driving cause its illegal, well in most states anyways, i live in michigan where its illegal but we dont have emission testing but i'm still scared to get one, all your input is greatly thanked so THANKS!!!

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I've been driving with "illegal" offroad pipes on my cars for 10 years now. I've also been pulled over a good 30 times over that time period and until last Thursday have never had a problem with it. My car is not exactly quiet either, most cops ask me about it and compliment me on it...as they write the ticket. But never harass me about checking for emissions.

However I have come across an extremely pissed off LS1 State Trooper that is on a mission to get me put in jail for it. He's threatened me that he will pull me over the next time he see's my car on the road and will look for cats and if I don't have them it's a second degree misdemeanor. That includes up to 60 days in jail, getting arrested and up to a $250 fine. Due to my profession that would kill my future career so with that in mind I'm putting fake cats on (welding the cat and shield on my O/R pipe) so it visually has emissions. This temporary fix is for the next few months till the car comes off the road and is no longer my daily driver.

Simply put it's a crap shoot you may have no problems ever or you may have problems tomorrow. Most cops will warn you once about it because honestly it's a pretty steep penality considering how many have O/R pipes on their cars.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 06:39 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

Dynomax makes a high flow cat. It is pretty short looking, and couln't you get away with an O/R H and two of those? Seems like you could, as long as they are both on the same side of the balancing pipe.

Any help with this one?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:45 PM   #4
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

if you don`t have emission testing here is what you do i`ve done it go to a bone yard and buy just the shields off a set of used cats then all you do is weld them onto the h pipe where the cats normally are blame the louder sound on the mufflers most cops are to lazy to get there pants dirty and look under the car if by some miracle one does they`ll see the shileds and let you go don`t forget cops aren`t that smart why do you think they chose the line of work takes no intelligents to be one and they thrive on doing nothing
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:47 PM   #5
96_4.6
Registered Member

Well i know about the h-pipe with cats and its 400, screw that i can buy the H for 170, grrrr i'm scared even though i know so many who have no cat and tell me i wont get caught

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-3000 RPM Stall
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
My Stang
Old 08-09-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

one more thing with no back pressure you will lose low end torque but will achieve higher end horse power decide what rpm range you will be driving in most often ,in my case i welded cats on to get a more even torque to hp ratio since i drive mostly city and only some highway
Old 08-09-2002, 10:04 PM   #7
96_4.6
Registered Member

What about the warning light that i heard is gonna be on, is bad to drive with the light on untill i put some those mil things on???

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-3000 RPM Stall
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
My Stang
Old 08-10-2002, 03:32 PM   #8
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

As Bill says your rolling the dice. I will tell you that there has been a rise in notice of un-catted vehicles because of the ricer movement. Some of the most common complaints from the public is the sound of exaust rockin the neighborhood. In Maryland, (and probably coming to your home town) there is pressure from the public for the Police to start enforcing exaust sound levels and modification laws that have been on the books since the 50's, because of that familiar "fart" sound. Unfortunately, everyone gets sucked in...

Your choice...

I like my $469.00 Bassani catalytic X-pipe...no worries.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:23 PM   #9
Titan
Registered Member

I take it most of you don't have to go through emissions testing??? I live in Atlanta, how would I get around that?

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 02:46 PM   #10
Drewkeen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan
I take it most of you don't have to go through emissions testing??? I live in Atlanta, how would I get around that?
well i live close to atlanta and i have to worry about it too. i personally run high flow cats but know of peopel with no cats. jsu tfind someone that does the emission testing and give them an extra $20 or so and they will usually hook up another car and say it was yours so you can pass.
Drewkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:32 PM   #11
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewkeen

well i live close to atlanta and i have to worry about it too. i personally run high flow cats but know of peopel with no cats. jsu tfind someone that does the emission testing and give them an extra $20 or so and they will usually hook up another car and say it was yours so you can pass.
That's how you go to jail in California. But I hear prision ain't so bad really, if you don't mind takin' it up the but.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:06 PM   #12
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

buy a h pipe with high flow catco cats it`s well worth the money you pass emisions and have a very good sound and performance i live in one of the worst states other than californina massasucksass even running straight pipe the only thing high was hydros by 1 point other than that it would have passed with the straight pipe
Old 08-15-2002, 03:27 PM   #13
RPM427
Registered Member

Even without cats, my car just barley passed when my engine was stock. And New York State has very hard emission testing. Its all on the dyno simulating different loads and speeds. I glad the mechanic didn't look under the car.

As far as getting a ticket for them, I doubt a cop is going to get on his back and crawl under the car to check.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote