MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-15-2002, 08:44 PM   #1
96_4.6
Registered Member

Default Installed new BBK h-pipe and it leaks, did yours..HELP

Yea Just got a BBK h-pipe installed on my 96 stang and the guy said its gonna leak on the right flinge or something and i asked around and they said if its new dont worry about it so i'm like ok and it sounds loud and all but u can feel the heat rushing out under the car when your looking under the car, what can i do??? please help, thanks

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 09:25 PM   #2
apenn

I don't think your exhaust should leak in any form or fashion. When I had my system done after a few days it got louder (which I liked) however I was affraid it might be leaking so I took it back to the Pipe Bender, and he had a stethoscope (really!) where he checked for any leaks and said things were tight as a drum. The system was just breaking in which is why it was getting louder.
For your problem I would think additional welding should help. (I am by no means an exhaust installation expert, just a guess there). Good luck with this!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:11 PM   #3
Titan
Registered Member

He's right, you should have no leaks. When I first got my mustang i had to get the driver side muffler rewelded. I don't know why, but it hung down farther, and the owner before must have bottomed out on something (it's lowered 1 1/2 "). The entire front of the muffler itself was ripped open. He just used some scrap iron and welded it onto the muffler until I could get my flows. It worked ok, I guess...it stopped the leak. Your H-pipe shouldn't have any leaks in it...if it does, and it's before the cats/muffler, kiss your emissions good-bye--atleast, that's what they told me.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I have BBK longtubes and matching H-pipe on my 2000 and it always seems to develop a small leak between one of the header collectors and the H. I get under there and adjust it and it goes away or gets quieter for a while, but it always seems to come back. BBK was not very responsive when I contacted them about it before and now the cats are scraped up from a few driveways and speed bumps (it leaked long before I ever bottomed out with it on), so I'm sure they would just blame it on that...
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote