MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-06-2002, 03:25 PM   #1
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Default Can someone explain the difference...

Can someone explain the difference in Stage I, Stage II and Stage III heads?

Eventually I would like to get some SHM Stage II heads...

How hard is it to install heads?

Thanks in advance...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

It really depends on the manufacturer and who's doing the work. Usually Stage 1 means mild work, Stage 11 usually means little more aggressive porting/polishing, and stage 111 is usually the baddest port/polish job you can get for that head. Heads aren't hard to install. Just be sure to torque them down to the correct specs.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:13 PM   #3
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Eric...

One more question... regarding the Sean Hyland Motorsports Stage II heads and my '98 4.6l 2v... Would my engine need to be pulled to replace my heads? Someone told me that my engine would have to come out...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:36 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

I never heard of the engine needing to be pulled but what do I know. I thought it was just the intake and valve covers and roller rockers had to be removed. ( and some other stuff but not the whole engine.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:28 PM   #5
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

my buddy had some heads done by fox lake to put on his 99..and he didn't pull the motor..but he wished he would have It would be easier to work on the car.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 08:21 AM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I had to pull the engine in my 98 to do head work. It "might" be possible without doing it, but it would certainly be a pain in the butt....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:38 AM   #7
stangman96
Ford Dealer Mechanic

you dont have to pull the motor, however, if you are not familair with the 4.6 modular, i suggest you pay a ford shop to get it done or a reputaible technician, there is alot more involed then just unbloting valve covers and intake, it is not an ohv, it is ohc, so you dont have to undo rockers. there is a matter of taking off the timing cover, which in turn also means, you have to remove crank pulley, power steering pump, bottom front oil pan bolts, disconnet manifolds, (they aint light), and as well disconnecting two timing chains, it is no easy job for the inexperienced, i work at a FORD SVT dealership, so i work on these on a daily basis, i mainstream in heavyline, (engines, transmissions, rear ends, etc..) sure, i pull motors and build em on the ground, but i have all the easy tools and a lift, i can pull a 4.6 2v in under 40 minutes and that includes a smoke break, talking to the secratary that walks by, and turning up my radio to work faster.. hehe... if you know all this, then maybe it will help others, if not, contact, i know lots of shortcuts and tricks....
Old 09-12-2002, 05:19 PM   #8
chico
Registered Member

Do not know about th e 4.6 2v Gt , but you need to pull the motor on the Cobra's to pull the heads.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:25 PM   #9
stangman96
Ford Dealer Mechanic

the only reason to pull a 4v motor is cuz it has an aluminum block and you have to de-torque the engine to avoid warpage of the block and or heads.............. the 2v, nope........ but it makes it easy if you have it on a stand, it is just a matter of prefferance...
Old 09-12-2002, 06:14 PM   #10
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
the 2v, nope........ but it makes it easy if you have it on a stand, it is just a matter of prefferance...
Exactly...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote