MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
blk88lx
Registered Member

Default recall?

I posted the message about the clicking under the dash. It has got to be a relay or the ignition switch. I looked on the recall list and there is a recall for the ignition switch. How does that work? I bet if I walked into a ford dealership and said, "Hi I heard there was a recall on 93 mustangs for an ignition switch, could you replace it for me?" they'd laugh at me.

I also heard that they would replace ignition modules on cars with less than 70 miles. Any truth in that?

Jayson
93 GT
blk88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:57 PM   #2
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Absolutely check out the recall.

Both my Mustang and my Ranger needed the new ignition switch.

That was many years ago, but I would think Ford would still do something even if their recall was time limited. At the very least let them run you VIN to see if your car was ever fixed (assuming you are not the original owner).

As I was diagnosing an electrical problem last month I found out from my Ford parts guy that the ignition switches are only like $10. Evidently they have a huge excess from the recall. Even if they won't do the recall work you could buy one and install it yourself. It's not hard to do once you get the shroud halves off of the steering column. I think you might need one of the idiodic special star bits to get all the screws out. My problem was in the TFI module so I never had to replace my ignition switch.

If nothing else, drive your car around with the dash covers off to try to locate the clicking noise. Make sure it isn't your emergency flasher relay, which is located to the left side of the glove box.

Good luck,
Dan
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:32 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DZEE'S LX
I think you might need one of the idiodic special star bits to get all the screws out
You mean torx bits?

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:48 AM   #4
blk88lx
Registered Member

Thanks,

I'll call the local dealer today.

Jayson
blk88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:02 AM   #5
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

It's not a normal torx bit. It has to have the hollow recess inside the bit. Don't ask me why Ford has to do sh** like that.
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:16 PM   #6
lx5091
Registered Member

they have those hollow bits at autozone, little set not expensive, maybe $7, needed it to clean my MAF

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote