MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-16-2003, 02:58 AM   #1
cavdo
Registered Member

Default Want to MOD my 98 GT need suggestions

hey guys,

i want to mod my bone stock 1998 Mustang GT Convertible from 225hp to 350hp WITHOUT NOS the CHEAPEST POSSIBLE WAY and need your guys's suggestions.

What I had in mind was:

- 3.73Gears
- Underdrive pulleys
- intake
- MAC headers, H pipe, and Hi Flow exhaust
- supercharger
- performance chip

that would bring a 98GT to about 350hp(correct me if I'm wrong). however the only cheap mods that ive found so far were gears and underdrive pulleys. EVERYTHING ELSE seems too overpriced for the horspover gain they'd provide.

do you guys know any MODs that are cheap and that gain noticable power after installment?
Ive heard that a 180 thermostat adds some power, but am not sure.

so as you can see, anything would help.

THANK YOU

Im also looking for a saleen body kit, but cant find anything cheaper than 900$. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, so if you guys know anybody(or any website) that sells cheap saleen body kits, let me know.

THANKS AGAIN.
cavdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
EVERYTHING ELSE seems too overpriced for the horspover gain they'd provide.
Welcome to the world of modular aftermarket parts....

My first suggestion would be to read the FAQ, after that you may want to consider a roots-type blower.

Nice torque and it replaces that weak plastic intake....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

Nothing is cheap! Look for used parts, my blower was 1,200 bucks! and I've done all the work myself, except the gears. With all the mods I have I might be close to 350 at the crank, " MIGHT BE" Have fun with your car but don't expect to much for nothing!
Old 06-16-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
ajcolv
Registered Member

Thermostat won't add power, just make the car run cooler. You don't want to get pullies, because they can't be used with the supercharger. So far the only aftermarket intake that I'm aware for the 96-98's is the SVO, and that's pretty costly. If you have had the intake replaced under the TSB, then your stock should be okay for a while. Check with others that are S/C'd.

The gears and exhaust would be worthwhile. Since you know you're going S/C stick with the 3.73's. If you want a cheap mod that has good gains get the PI cams. They can be had for about $150-200, and are supposedly netting about 10-15 rwhp.

Other then that look into weight reduction and suspension mods. You don't need HP to go fast. Just ask Mustang92 (Bill).

"Lita"
97 Mustang GT Vert
--------------------------------------
k&n, air silencer removed, Magnapack cat-back, BBK o/r h-pipe, Ford red front calipers

ajcolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #5
playahata
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surfbeast
Nothing is cheap!
I lucked out on my heads ($1000 for the pair), but my intake cost what your blower did.
Lazer Red '98 GT with flows, 3.73's, clear corners, bumper inserts, billet interior, K&N, 17x8 Steeda Ultralites wrapped in Nitto 555's and DR's, Eibach Sportlines, painted calipers, steeda triax , MGW shift knob, 9mm Taylor plug wires, 90mm Lightning mass-air meter, ported FRPP heads, Crane cam regrinds, FRPP intake, FRPP aluminum driveshaft Mac longtubes/off-road H, .20-over bottom end, Vortech S-trim, MSD Dis4
playahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:54 PM   #6
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

do the head swap it is well worth it i love mine although you can`t supercharge if you do this until you lower the comp back down but for more na power get the head swap kit.
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #7
stangt00
Registered Member

Default Selling 00 GT heads

I am selling my 2000 GT stock heads. It's a well known fact that the 96-98 heads are restrictive. Mine are little over a year old, and have 5,000 miles on them. No blower or extreme driving was done with these. They are this new cause I blew the original motor. They are easy to replace, you just need new gaskets. If you really want to make some power, send them out for port and polishing before you put them on your car, and or replace the headers. I was told by Cobra Killer (A moderator at modularfords.com, and owner of 1 bad *** 7 sec modular) that they are well worth $600 for the pair. Does anybody out there think this is too much to ask?
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #8
ajcolv
Registered Member

I don't know. Might be a good price. Is it just the bare heads, or are other things included like cams and intake?
ajcolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
stangt00
Registered Member

It's the complete heads, ie: heads, cams, valves, everything. You dont need to mod the intake as far as I know. It should be just a swap. Take the old one off, put the new ones on. If not, I am sure you can either find 1 in the junkyard, or a new one isnt that expensive. Its atleast a 30 hp gain over your stock heads. Actually, I am willing to let them go for $500 for the pair since I am not selling the intake with it, and you may need to buy one.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.

Last edited by stangt00; 06-20-2003 at 01:36 PM..
Old 06-20-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
playahata
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stangt00
You dont need to mod the intake as far as I know.
His intake will not work with the new heads, the ports dont match.
Lazer Red '98 GT with flows, 3.73's, clear corners, bumper inserts, billet interior, K&N, 17x8 Steeda Ultralites wrapped in Nitto 555's and DR's, Eibach Sportlines, painted calipers, steeda triax , MGW shift knob, 9mm Taylor plug wires, 90mm Lightning mass-air meter, ported FRPP heads, Crane cam regrinds, FRPP intake, FRPP aluminum driveshaft Mac longtubes/off-road H, .20-over bottom end, Vortech S-trim, MSD Dis4
playahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 01:51 PM   #11
stangt00
Registered Member

OK, here it goes. The following link is for the intake, bolts, gaskets, brakets and all you will need to install the new heads for less than $200. The Depot I hope this increases your interest in purchasing my heads. I am spending a pretty penny on new heads from Sean Hyland Moptorsports, and atleast the $500 I am asking for mine will help to offset my cost.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #12
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I just sold a set of brand new PI heads with polished intake ports and a PI intake with ported upper for $640 on Ebay. I only had them listed for 5 days and the reserve at $600.
I can see you getting $500 plus pretty easy.

Last edited by 91LX2Bfast; 06-20-2003 at 04:18 PM..
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote