MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Do i need LSD?

Here's my problem,i was driving with my friend in his 2000 z28,and it was raining.So all of a sudden he just stepps on it in second gear,and changes lanes,i was like what the hell?Because even though his wheels were spinning out like crazy,the car still went straight like an arrow,he's got 275 tires on there but they won't have that effect.I know when i'm in my 2000 gt mustang,and step on it in second,my rear end goes wild. So i was wondering if aftermarket limited slip differentials would help me get my wheels spinning at the same time?And also would they be able to prevent the wheels from spinning out?But not slow the car down like the traction controll that's in the car now.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Unless your trak-loc is worn out you should be spinning both tires in the rain with your GT, however this doesn't help the car go straight. Maybe your buddy's just real good at quick countersteering?
A torque-sensing limited slip would help you to control the car better when the wheels start to spin. Do you have stock style rear suspension? If so you get a lot of rear steer from lateral movement of the axle which makes the car get sideways more.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:42 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

When he stepps on it and has his steering wheel straight,the car will go straight.When i step on it,my car will want to go sideways.This is what i did.I went to a road,and spun my tires in first and second gear,and you can actually see that my left mark is almost twice as black as mt left one.It's the same problem i had on my old 240sx.I can countersteer and get myself out of trouble,but he doesn't have to.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:56 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I believe Camaros have a panhard bar stock. You need something to control the lateral motion of the axle. Supposedly just burning out in a straight line in a Mustang you can get the axle to move almost 2" to the side with the stock rear suspension. That's why it doesn't want to go straight.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

But pressing the gas halfway in third really doesn't qualify as a burnout,i can understang how the axle can move while burning out on a dry road,but when it's wet i don't see how that could happen because of the loss of traction.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I'm sure that the axle moves less when you lose traction on a wet road, but the rear steer effect is still there even with less lateral movement because the road is more slippery.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:06 PM   #7
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Hey i asked on a camaro board,and from what it looks like it might be that the z28 has POSI.