MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
ac97gt
Registered Member

Default 96-98 intake recall

im curious about the silent recall for 96-98. i know one exists, and i have found links to it etc through searching, but im curious if ford honors this replacement even if your intake shows no signs of cracking now? my intake seems to be fine, but the warranty is running out (7 years) and i would hate to be screwed in the future, i would rather have the new, better intake on there now. so, does anyone know if they will swap it out no problem if i bring it down?

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I'm not sure, but I've never heard of Ford ponying up a new intake if the old one is working normally.

I would suggest contacting your local Ford dealer, or maybe Ford corporate...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:43 PM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

They will not replace it unless it has exploded or leaks excessively...You can buy a new one for about $100. It is very easy to replace yourself...

Just be aware that when they go...they go... usually at high RPM's, so you will see a puff of steam come out of your hood and fenders. So...make sure you cut the engine off immediately and call a tow truck...Scares the poo out of you when they go.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
AutoX281
Registered Member

$100?? My dealer wanted $284 for mine. (98 vs 97 maybe?!?!)

They will only replace if it leaks excessivly??? I would hope they would replace it if it leaks at all!!!!

I would call a dealer and nag them a bit... see if they'll do it... spray a little coolant on your engine and tell them you don't know where it's coming from... ;-)

However, as long as you have a decent set of sockets and a spring-coupler disconnector tool for the fuel lines (couple bucks at any parts store), you can do it.

I'm in the process of doing mine right now. It has taken me 2 3-hour sessions to remove mine, but I'm just very slow and anal. The installation "should" be simpler than removal since I just have to match my now labeled wires to the right connection. and I won't be reading and re-reading the service manual after everything I disconnect. Others have done the whole process in a couple hours...
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 06:19 AM   #5
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Not to be off topic but...KarKraft at one time was selling Non-PI intake take offs for $99.00...Most competent dealers who have dealt with soured 96-98 Mustang Gt / Crown Vic owners will pressure test the coolant system with dye to see if the system is leaking. You can splash some coolant on the engine and roll the dice but when the service Mgr comes back and say's "We can't find anything, that will be $70.00" your not going get what you hoped for...

I've replaced both intakes on my CV and GT, both cost me $99.00 and about 1.5 hours of time.

Moral of the post was to shop around and ask around for help, you will find it. I have been fortunate in having personal friends who are Ford mechanics willing to help find parts and lend a hand if need be.

Iv'e been there done that...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #6
ac97gt
Registered Member

thanks for the replys.... yeah i was thinking of tricking them somehow too, but like you said they will probably just say theres no problem and ill pay for nothing. i didnt figure they would replace a non-broken one. but murphy says that my intake is gonna go right after the silent recall's 7yrs are up (or will they even replace it after that too?). im not gonna pay the $100, or any money for a new one, because this one is fine. i just wanted to prepare myself for when it does go i guess, and, if i were to ever use nitrous in the future, i was thinking the new intake they have with the metal where the plastic was would help out a bit. oh well, ill wait till she blows and hope its still covered, thanks again guys.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

And it she goes, we'll be here to tell you what to replace it with.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote