MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-11-2001, 10:06 AM   #1
chadtn2
Registered Member

Post Holley ignition, coil, and distributor installed..car won't start. Any ideas?

For a complete list of mods click here:
http://members.aol.com/chadtn/

I had a guy install a Holley Annhilator Pro Strip ignition, Laser Shot Pro Coil, Holley Magnetic Pickup distributor, and relocate the battery to the trunk. He got everything installed, but the coil wouldn't fire. I'm going to call monday and see about returning it. He installed a Mallory coil and says that the cylinders are firing, but the car won't hit a lick. It spins freely, but doesn't even try to start. He says he has double checked everything, and is about out of ideas. He's going to try setting a different timing curve and see if that could be the problem. How do you come up with a timing curve anyway?

I'm not really sure what he meant, but he said he got out a timing light and checked it. Said something about it being at 14 degrees. I guess he had someone turn the car over and tried to check the timing while it was turning.

The car ran great when I dropped it off. Only problem was it was fouling plugs. I was running Motorcraft AGSP32C's gapped at 45. You could put new plugs in and drive around normal for about 15 minutes, or hit the gas hard a couple times before it would start sputtering and reving itself at idle. When I pulled the plugs out they were coated black/a little brown. You could wipe it off with your hand. I didn't see any oil at all.

I was hoping the new ignition system would take care of the plug problem. Does anyone have any ideas about why the car won't start? Also...I need to ditch the rev limiter in my car. Since my car is a manual and I can already change the timing curve with the Pro Strip would I be missing out on anything by getting the SVO extender instead of a custom chip? Seems like it would be pretty cool to just hop in the car and adjust the timing curve and air/fuel with a few buttons.

Thanks

Chad

------------------
http://members.aol.com/chadtn
chadtn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 10:41 AM   #2
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Cool

I'd check to see if the injectors are leaking.. if it gets spark, then it needs air and fuel.. 14* timing is fine.. also check the fuel pump relay..might be that the pump is off...
if it was running way rich before, it was probably the injectors.. changing the ignition isnt gonna fix the prob from before..

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives BBK shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
13.85@102.5
and a '68 stang that WAS nasty ;-)

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:43 AM   #3
chadtn2
Registered Member

He said he could hear the fuel pump turning on. That was one of the things I asked about when I called. As for the injectors...What would cause them to leak?

Also...what would make the car run rich? I think he said the fuel pressure was at 38 or 40 with 24lb injectors. The heads are fully ported Edelbrock Victor Jr's and I THINK the lift on the cam is something like 576/int and 596/exh. Pretty sure he said the duration is 232.

Thanks

Chad

------------------
Old 08-12-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Lightbulb

Please tell me that he checked to make sure that he didn't install the distributor 180 degrees out...Easy enough to do, it would cause the car not to fire a lick.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 05:34 PM   #5
chadtn2
Registered Member

I asked him if distributor could have been causing it and he mentioned that he had checked the 180 degree thing. He's had a couple days to screw with it..I'm going to try giving him a call in a minute and see if he's come up with anything.

Thanks
Chad

------------------
Old 08-13-2001, 01:13 AM   #6
PrplMonster
Registered Member

Ok, this may or may not apply to you but.... a buddy of mine bought an MSD distributor for a non efi motor, he too had the same problem until i realized that the computer wasn't getting the signal from the distributor.. now i am not saying this is you, but hey, murphy said it best, if it can happen, IT WILL!!

.dave
PrplMonster is offline   Reply With Quote