MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-11-2001, 12:32 AM   #1
nicolette
Registered Member

Cool The horn

Hiya!
I just wanted to let you all know that after 4 months i have discovered why my horn doesn't go!. Me and my father have been through the entire system, pulling the steering wheel off, the whole shibang about hmm... 6 times!. I even gave up and took her to an auto electrition when all else failed. He told me I needed to replace my whole steering wheel system, and it would be about $800!!!. Yeah right!!! Well oneday Dad noticed that the positive point of my drivers side horn was jammed hard against the radiator !!!. He shouted so loud i nearly fell over, thats how happy he was to have figured it out!. All my horn needed was for the point to be bent away from the radiator!!! So if your horn doesn't go. PLEASE look for the simplest thing that could be wrong with it. And DEFINATELY explore all the options! I would have been so miffed if i had spent that $800!! Thanks also for all your ideas on this, they have been a great help =)

------------------
nicolette, 1968 coupe, straight 6 and proud of it! ;p
nicolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:16 AM   #2
jwboner
Registered Member

Too often we overlook the simplest things because if ya haven't figured it out in about five minutes ya figure it must be something big and start to disassembling perfectly good parts and making landfill out of them. It once took me 2 days to figure out why my car wouldn't start, almost replaced battery, starter, and solenoid when it was just dirty connections. Bet you are looking forward to the real big problems now. haha

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 07:31 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Nicolette, I'm wondering if the driver's side horn was grounded out, what did the passenger side horn do? Can't really remember how that's configured (parallel or series?)

Whenever some electrical gizmo fails to work, start testing with a test light from the source to to the gizmo. That usually tells you pretty quick where problem is.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 10:12 PM   #4
nicolette
Registered Member

Smile

Rev, Thanks for your thoughts.
Yeah it was grounded out. I tested the circuits first off and everything seemed ok. The tester reacted on both horns. After checking everything else in the steering wheel dad tried a live connection from the battery's poitive to the horns. The passengers side horn blared fine but when we touched the drivers side it just gave a muffled squeak. Thats when we realised the point was grounding against the radiator. My car had a tiny prang on the bumper when I bought it , so I am thinking perhaps the horn was grounded when that happened. Also the air con (which also doesn't work!) was installed VERY close to the drivers side horn. Which comes into contact with the positive point when you close the hood, NOT good!.So I remounted the drivers side horn about an inch to the left and now both horns go great!.
I wonder if my air con is post factory?
Anyway thankyou! ;p

------------------
nicolette, 1968 coupe, straight 6 and proud of it! ;p
nicolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 10:23 PM   #5
TIP64
Registered Member

Cool

Cool info
I have been trying to figure out why mine on my 66 will not work I will check it out.
Thanks
TIP64 is offline   Reply With Quote