MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-14-2002, 11:15 PM   #1
wade73
Registered Member

Talking silencer box..newbie question!

i see "silencer box removed" on many mustang descriptions. what is this, what are the benefits of doing it, and how do you remove it? i possess a reasonable amount of common sense and am pretty adept with tools, just don't necessarily know too much about todays modern cars. i have a 98gt and am wondering if i should remove it

thanks guys and girls
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #2
czstang1701
Registered Member

The silencer is located after your air filter. People who remove the silencer will gain a few HP, but in the same time lowered their torque. The reason it happens is because the silencer directs colder air from the fender wall.. At least thats what ive been reading..which makes perfect sense.

I have yet to take a look at the one on the GT, but if its like my v6 was, it just snaps off. Could be easier to disconnect the air filter box before taking it out. I'm sure you'll get it

Brand new! w00 h00! :-D
czstang1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:08 AM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

The air silencer is between the air filter and MAF sensor ( the aluminum piece with the wires going in the top ). If you want to make the engine compartment look nice, take out the entire stock air intake and replace it with a MAC cold ait unit. The cost is about 180 bucks. Shop around and you may find one cheaper. Hp gains are minimal but it looks real nice. If your not worried about an additional 3-5 Hp just leave the air system alone and buy a $50 K&N filter.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:39 AM   #4
SLOW 97
Registered Member

The silencer is a great 'free' mod. My car pulls noticeably harder at higher RPMs without the silencer. The car is a bit louder without it too. It makes more of a sucking noise when you open the throttle. Also, don't waste your money on cold-air. It's all show with very little go. Spend that $180 on a new ring and pinion gearset.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:16 AM   #5
wade73
Registered Member

Cool silencer box

thanks for the input guys...man...one could go nuts trying to decide what to do with their car here! everyone says to do something different! oh well...i have decided to remove the silencer, and build my own cold air induction. has anyone here had experience with that?
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:49 AM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by surfbeast
The air silencer is between the air filter and MAF sensor ( the aluminum piece with the wires going in the top ).
No it's not. You are probably thinking about the metal screen that sits right in front of the MAF. DO NOT remove that. It's set up to straighten out the air flow turbulence so the MAF can read the air flow correctly.

The air silencer is a rubber piece that attaches to the air filter box and goes into the fender well so the air filter gets the cooler fender well air. It's very easy to remove. Just pull it off of the air filter box. Don't waste your money on a CAI unless it's one that puts the air filter out into the fender well. That would be more beneficial than one that has the open element in the engine compartment.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:53 AM   #7
jwmustangin
Registered Member

Talking air silencer info

Hey man, check out the may issue of Muscle mustangs and fast fords. Go to the article titled "got torque". I'm kind of a newbie myself. This article will really help you out with the air silencer and some of the other bolt ons. Later.
jwmustangin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: