MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-21-2001, 03:20 PM   #1
twetzel
Registered Member

Post Smoking 4.6L

I have a problem with my motor, and I am trying to figure out exactly what before tearing into it. Here goes:
  • 1994 T-Bird, 4.6L V8, 100k miles
  • Daily driver all its life
  • K&N filter, removed catalytic converters (had to replace an O2 sensor after this)
  • Shortly after removing the cats it began to smoke, progressively worsening.
  • An oily film built up aroung the exhaust tips and grew larger, now covering the entire tip.
  • I have to add a quart (Penzoil) between oil changes (3k miles/3 months). The engine leaks no oil as far as I can tell. No warning lights are on (check engine, etc.).
  • The smoke smells like oil sometimes, and I am not 100% sure of the color. I am afraid it is slightly blue, and it smells bad. It is definitely not coolant.
  • The smoke is worst when it is hot outside and the engine is warmed up. Sometimes when I take off normally from a light, I can see a cloud of smoke behind me. It also lets out a puff sometimes when I start it up and the engine is already warm. I can usually smell it at a stoplight or when I pull into my driveway, even if I cannot see the smoke in my mirror.
My father has asked the mechanics at his shop (Davis-Moore, Wichita, KS) about any common problems with the 4.6L that would cause this behaviour, and they said no.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Maybe I should have bought a Mustang?

tewetzel@yahoo.com

------------------
Tim

[This message has been edited by twetzel (edited 01-21-2001).]

twetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 08:50 PM   #2
Ares
Registered Member

The blue smoke is oil being burned, a coolent leak would show as a white color smoke. I had a corvette that had bad valve seals which made it burn the oil that got in cylinders when I started it up. I also have a 79 firebird that I race, it has 5 years of racing on motor and rings are worn badly it smokes now when running. I would say from what you wrote that with 100k on the car it is probably in need of new rings. With that milage you may as well have motor completely redone. I hope this helps in solving your problem.

------------------
2000 GT Laser red-5speed
MAC Cold-air Induction
MAC 2 1/2" cat back exhuast
275/50-15 Drag T/A's used at track
Best Quarter mile run to date: 13.50@99.97 (1.87 60')

Ares is offline   Reply With Quote