MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2002, 05:58 PM   #1
DJs350H
Registered Member

Default Aftermarket 289/302 Water Necks

I am looking to replace a cheap aftermarket chrome 289/302 waterneck on my engine. I went to National Parts Depot to find a suitable replacement but they were selling the same one (it has a cheap little rubber o-ring and the metal corroded around the ring in my car--although I'm not sure if the previous owner kept up with the coolant mixture). So I've been looking for a nice looking (like billet or stainless steel) and suitable replacement, but have not seen any manufacturered for Fords in the catalogs I've looked in. All I've had luck coming across are a stock replacement, and that cheap chrome one. I was also hoping the replacement water neck would come with an AN outlet fitting for a braided hose to the radiator. Does anyone know who makes good quality or trick aftermarket waternecks for our 289/302s, or one such as I described?

Dan
DJs350H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Don't know if they have it, but have you tried Summit Racing?
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 11:37 PM   #3
DJs350H
Registered Member

Yeah, Summit is the catalog I was speaking about in my post. All I was able to find as far as waternecks are concerned were Chevy products.

Dan
Old 03-13-2002, 11:48 AM   #4
zach0
Registered Member

Ford racing has an excellent quaility chrome neck
1980 RX7 with 289 Ford V-8 bored .030 over, Very radical cam, Torker 2 high rise intake, Holley 650 Carb, MSD Nascar 6ALN ignition, MSD coil and distributor, Headers with dual open side exhaust. Over 300 horse.

1966 Mustang still in progress
zach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:18 PM   #5
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Regarding summit, you have to call them. They have a lot more parts than just what they list. I know, frustrating if you don't have a chevy but still my first option.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:12 PM   #6
carboy
Registered Member

there is a lot bigger choice in summit racing, if you go to summitracing.com,,,,,,,there seems to be 10 times as many parts available on the web than in their catalog.
good luck
David H.
66 coupe, 306 balanced bluprinted, performer intake,725 Road Demon, Crane Cam, Tri-Y Headers, factory Shelby glass packs 2 1/4 with exit in front of rear wheels, 3:50 rear, 8 inch rear, mustang plus suspension, 41/2 mideye leafs, 620 springs on front, kyb gas shocks. tony branda shelby hood, r-model valance, rear side scoops(functional),stainless steel slotted front brake system,,13.39 1/4 mile with no slicks and no posi.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:51 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Your're right DJ, the one's you refer to are pure crap. I've put 3-4 on just due to convenience, but have to buy a new one each time I change the thermostat. They are junk, I agree.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 08:06 PM   #8
red
Registered Member

I went through a couple of the chrome ones too.
Now I have this aluminum one from Branda and am happy.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:47 PM   #9
DJs350H
Registered Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I did find a bunch more companies that manufacture the chrome style waternecks on line, but they all look the same and of the same quality. I did also find extra waternecks on the Summit website, and the one on the Branda site. The Branda waterneck looks similar to the original type waterneck. I wanted something with a little better appearance, and possibly to add AN fittings like I saw on a car that also had AN fittings from the radiator (so It had two AN fittings on either side of the stainless hose from the radiator to engine--clean setup easy to remove). I was pondering this setup since Griffin radiators have the option usings AN fittings if you order it.

So, I finally found what I was looking for when I seached the www.csicsi.com website. They have the exact waterneck I was looking for. Here is the description:

"These CNC Machined Billet 6061-T6 Aluminum swivel housings are available for 1-1/4",1-1/2", -12AN, and -16AN fitting hose connections and will swivel a full 360° for ease of hose connections in any position. The flange is sealed at the manifold with an O-Ring, eliminating the gasket. Stainless steel hardware included."

It seems a bit expensive, but I am hoping this is the last one I will have to buy. They also come in cool anodized colors. I'll be buying mine in summer and will give an update on how everything goes. As for the AN setup I am undecided, especially since I am unsure as to when I can afford to buy a Aluminum radiator, and from, which manufacturer.

Dan