MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
pj rage
Registered Member

Default Speedo not working and car stalling?

Hey guys, I have a very interesting problem with my 97 GT 5spd! The only mods it has are exhaust (flows and bassani x-pipe that have been in for about a year, and a steeda shifter, also in about a year).

The other night, I started up the car and noticed that the speedometer wasn't working. It just sat at zero without moving, twitching, anything at all, at all speeds that I drove at. Also, there are no miles registering on the odometer or tripometer.

This isn't the worst part though. A few minutes later, I was braking from (about) 60-65mph and the car stalled out when I had the clutch in and was braking! This sucks because I lose power brakes, power steering, etc. I had to start the car back up quick and continue braking. It didn't stall twice in a row or anything, it seemed normal, so I thought it was a fluke thing. Apparently it isn't a fluke thing though, it does it regularly when I brake from what seems like above 50mph. It hasn't done it yet when I am not going above what seems like above 50mph. Basically, if I haven't made it to 5th gear, it won't stall, but if I have made it to 5th, it will stall when I have the clutch in and I'm braking. It is a very smooth stall, no sputtering or anything at all, it just basically comes off the current rpm (say 2.5k) and goes straight down to zero very smoothly.

I can't think of any possible reasons? I am wondering if the speedo problem and the stalling are somehow related? I'm not really sure where to start.

On a side note, in case it is applicable, about a week ago, I ran over an island curb in a parking lot pretty hard on the left side only It shook it up pretty good, but it seems like it has been alright since (for about a week, driving it everyday), I haven't noticed any problems. I looked underneath from the side and couldn't notice anything obvious, doesn't look bad at all, but I haven't had it on a lift to check.

Any thoughts on what the problem(s) could be, or where to start? Thanks for any help!
pj rage is offline   Reply With Quote