MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-01-2002, 02:13 AM   #1
Toppchef
Registered Member

Default Spinning!

I just had a Vortech SQ-Trim w/ a Lightning MAF and a fabricated powerpipe installed on my basically stock automatic 2000 GT. I'm having a real hard time stickiing the tires to the road. I don't want to spend alot of money because I just did that. Any suggestions that would make a resonable difference would be appreciated! Thanks
Toppchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I got one word for you...control arms......well ok, maybe that's two

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:21 AM   #3
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Default Nothing Really Helps

Hey Toppchef - Welcome to the wonderful world of Vortech POWER! I've got a pretty similar setup as you. With just the stock Vortech install (no powerpipe or Lightning MAS and with the stock Vortech chip) I dyno'ed at 370 ft lbs of rear wheel torque, so say good by to any traction!. Unfortuneately I had my lower control arms done at the same time as the SC, so I really don't have a comparison of before and after with the lower control arm. All I know is with street tires 1st and 2nd gear are useless. When I upgraded to a more agressive chip tuned for the MAS and powerpipe I can be rolling at 40 mph in 2nd gear and punch it and I spin the tires, and that's without any fooling with the clutch or speed/power shifting. By far the best thing is to put drag radials on. I have BF Goodrich, but I only put them on when I go to the track. They are fantastic on the street and a must for the track. The problem is they will only last 3000-5000 miles if you ride around on them all the time. I've heard a lot of folks have had great luck with Nitto drag radials. I've heard they will last up to 15,000 miles on the street and might even be stickier than BFG's. I've actually just put Kumho Supra 712 on the rears (265/40's) and they are really pretty good, but still not nearly as good as drag radials. Much better than the BFG KDWS' I had for dry traction. I'm considering trying upper control arms next but I have a few other priorities, first of which is a custom tune. Good luck!
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's