View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
SilverSN95
Registered Member

Default Re: Starting Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangII460
Pull a plug wire and put a screw driver in the boot, hold the metal shaft of the driver (close) to a ground (header.) While cranking it should throw an arc across the driver to the ground. Keep your hand on the handle.

Fuel, crank the car and push in on the schrader valve. It should spurt some gas from it. Looks like a valve stem on the fuel rail. A gauge would be better.

*Check your TPS voltage. If its too high it tells the ECM your motors flooding, The ECM will cut off your fuel.

When its running does it have surging idle or cut off for no reason?
I'll try the the spark check tomorrow after work.

As for fuel, your comments reminded me that I did check fuel pressure from the schrader valve last fall. it showed 38psi at idle, but when I cracked open the throttle the fuel pressure dropped to 30psi I believe. I can check again but I don't think that is the problem.

How do I check the TPS voltage? Sorry, I have not really done too much underhood on this car so I might ask some basic questions. What range should it be at?

When it idles it is pretty smooth, for a 5.0. The idle is steady. But for some reason it will just stop, no stumbling or anything. I could be sitting at a light looking at the tach running 600rpm or so and then it just drops right off. It doesn't do it consistantly either but it only does it when it is hot.
STEEDA TRI-AX Shifter
MAC pulleys
SilverSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote