MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-26-2001, 12:12 PM   #1
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

Cool STEEDA

Hi guys, I work in a technical college where they teach mechanic, well I became friend with the professor that teaches suspension and he told me that he could replace the suspension in my car (I had an accident that cost the insurance $9000). I decided to buy from Steeda the “G-Track suspension kit stage 1 and stage 2, well the mechanic students are doing the work and most of it is finish, man does the car ever look cool. The 2 kits cost $1300.
Any of you guys have installed any of these kits? the sway bar, strut and shocks are adjustable but I don’t know which will be the best adjustment for “aggressive city driving”.
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 07:25 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Yeah, I used to have the Steeda GTrac III.

But basically what you want to do is this:

Start with the shocks and struts on full soft. Drive around and see how the car takes bumps. Don't get too crazy yet. You just want to see how the car takes bumps.

Set the shocks and struts up a notch and repeat. Keep doing this till the springs are fulling damped. IE, when you hit a bump the shock ubsorber takes the bump, but does not bounce afterwards.

Also, you will most likely end up with different settings on the front and back. I ran 4 on the front and 3 on the rear.

The sway bar is more difficult because you need to toss the car pretty close its limits in order to see how it handles. Other then a track, a big empty parking lot will probably be the safest place to do this.

Like with the shocks and struts, start with it set to the lowest (IE, the end links the longest). Then you want to do basically a skid pad test. Drive the car in a fairly tight circle, (about 200 ft if possible). Gradually speed up until the car starts to lose traction. Hopefully with the sway bar at full soft the car will understeer.

Stiffen the sway bar a bit, and try again. Note that car will handle a bit differently depending on which way you go around the circle. Repeat until the car handles almost neutrally going both ways. I would advise leaving a bit of understeer as a safety margin.

That should get you pretty close. Finally drive it on the road and see how it feels. Adjust as needed.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 08:01 AM   #3
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

Smile

"Snake" I really appreciate the advice, I will try doing what you told me this weekend. I will keep you posted, thanks again.

Steeda Under drive pullyes, 3:73, Michellin "pilot" XGT.
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote