MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Steeda Springs....Stuck

High. I have my 01 GT on four jack stands in my garage and I'm hoping to get this car done in the next few hours because its' my only car to take to work tonight...I'm trying to put Steeda lowering springs in the car, I'm starting with the front springs first since they're the hardest...I'm having trouble getting the stock springs out...those things are IN there!! The kit says I can use the stock isolators on the new springs, I took the wheels off and I'm trying to do it thru the wheel well instead of laying under the car, I can't get the thing out and I don't wanna go out and rent a spring compressor....Any help??? Since I'm here anything I need to know about installing the rear springs?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
1989GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Steeda Springs....Stuck

Alright man you need a spring compressor. The springs are compressed even as they sit now, so if you go pounding on them and it actually comes out it could take your head off.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

Oh by the way you don't need a spring compressor for the backs, just support the lower control arm with a jack, take the bolt out that attaches it to the rear end and slowly lower the jack.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

I know, it took me about an hour to realize that. I figured I'd wait until I had the engine and body work done before I went to the springs...I've heard stories like that too, kinda makes me wonder what I was thinking.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

My compressor is on its' way...so let me clarify before I send one of these things right thru the fender..I have to put the car level on four stands, loosen the sway bar and then I can put the compressor bars on the springs to take them out, right?..Then I slowely release the tension and take the compressor off the spring. By the way are the fenders welded onto the 2001 GTs'?..Sometimes they're bolted on.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
P.C.
SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND HOLD ON!

Yo greeeg.The fenders are bolted on.I thought about lowering my ride but..there are way to many dips and humps in the road where i live.and i dont feel like banging up the under carrage.u might wanna get some caster camber plates.an alighnment is also needed after that job.
P.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

For the most part the roads on East Long Island are good, I only drive the car to work anyway...Since I'm the only one on the road at 3am its' easier to spot potholes before my tires do. I'm glad I can take the fenders off easily though, when wet sand and repaint the car next year I don't have enough room in my garage (because of the stupid support beam in the middle of it) to paint, so I'm going to sand it, take it apart and set the pieces of the car as close together as I can on the floor where I'm sealing off the other half of the garage in plastic with an air vent..then I'll tear out the seats, flooring and steering column, put in the new drive shaft, engine, transmission and leather seats and put the car back together painted. Maybe I'll wait till then to decide whether putting these springs in will be a good idea. I'd sell this thing but I'd be throwing away the $6,000 I already put into the body. Whether or not this is the right thread to ask...anyone else taking their late model Mustang under the knife?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: