MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-08-2001, 01:36 AM   #1
98 BLK CONVT GT
Registered Member

Question Steeda Timing Adjuster

Has anyone installed the timing adjuster? How easy is it and did you get any power of it? Can it still be used if a supercharger is installed?

------------------
98 Blk Conv GT
Bassani X-Pipe, 70mm T.B.
Cold Air Induc.
98 BLK CONVT GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 09:17 AM   #2
46stang
Registered Member

i haven't installed one yet but most of the guys are getting like 5rwhp, it mostly helps the engins rev quicker. to install you have to take the ac compressor bolts out and move it aside a little, than unplug the ckp sensor and bolt it in there. i believe it comes with directions yes you can use it with a blower, but typically you don't want advanced timing in a blower car, it would be good for a pinging problem on blower car because you could retard the timing.

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,BBK longtube headers,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, tri-ax shifter.
best et 13.80
best mph 103.3
bfg street tires,bakersfield, ca
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 03:45 PM   #3
bark3rd
Registered Member

Talking

I recently installed a timing adjuster and pulley kit on my 00 Gt and was happy with the final result. The install, however didn't go very smoothly for me. You do have to loosen the a/c, but on my car we also had to remove the radiator overflow tank and the fan to get enough clearnce to remove and install the crank and harmonic pulleys. I had fits for a week after install because the check engine light kept coming on and I was getting a misfire. After fooling with it several times we finally removed the timing adjuster and crank pulley, cleaned out the hole in the crank pulley where the timing adjuster fits in (there is a tooth on the back of it that fits into a groove inside the hole-this area has to be spotless for a proper fit, you need to scrape the gunk out of it and spray some contact cleaner in there before installing. Also the clearance between the sensor arm and the wheel is crucial, check it to specs carefully with a feeler guage before and after running after install, I think that the gap was too large at first when we installed it causing the misfire (sort of like a spark plug). Also, there is a rubber o ring at the end of the sensor arm (where it meets the timing wheel. not the o ring on the part that goes inside the crank case!)that the Steeda techs advised us to remove when we were having problems (this step was not in the instructions). Overall my car runs stronger and feels faster, I can light up the tires in 2nd gear real easily now! I need to go to the track and get some real #'s. Some of the other racers I know think that the pulleys are great but tell me I would have been better off with a Saleen flash adjustment to the computer (includes timing) so you may check that out too. If you do go with the timing adjuster definetely get the pulleys at the same time. Good luck.

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 01:03 PM   #4
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

I'd suggest it as amod to anyone planning on adding hp.

Helps becasue as previously stated, you can dial the timing back. Great for track tuning with various combinations.

Ie. add a throttle body and some other induction mods. Go to the track and run at various degrees of timing ... find the best setting for maximum output.
Great mod.
Especially for us less than mech inclined.

------------------
K!
Personalized Black 98 SVO Blown Stage II ROUSH
without the side exhaust but some other cool stuff

Dyno 303rwhp 338rwtrq
Still working out the kinks!!!

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 06:39 PM   #5
96SNAKE
Registered Member

I installed it and removed it in less than two weeks. I liked how my car ran with the stock timing so I removed it and sold the adjuster.

I would recommend it like the others have said to retard timing but didn't think it offered any real power gains on my car. It would give a little power in the beginning of the rev band but lose it other places.. Your money could be better spent elsewhere.

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(gutted),C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower before gutting the X pipe
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 08:31 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I had good results with mine. I guess results vary from car to car.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote