View Single Post
Old 09-02-2002, 04:10 PM   #8
HotRoddin
cranky old man

First consider what kind of metal you're welding. Then you consider how thick it is. Then you look at how close it fits (are there gaps). From that you have to decide on what welding rod or wire type and size you'll need, what heat you have to set the machine at, what speed you'll need to set the wire at if its mig or what speed you need to move if its stick or tig. Then once you start welding you may have to readjust some or all those things depending on how its working. Welding is part knowledge and part hand eye cordination. Its deffinently not a black art, but it absolutely takes a bit of practice to get good at it.

<<other than just being more "experienced," what makes a quality weld job quality>>

Proper metal type, proper heat, lack of foreign material contaminating the weld, lack of gas bubbles in the weld and probably most important of all proper penetration.
How can you tell when all those things are right ? Read read read and practice practice practice.
I'm not sure i agree with RM2 about the one day thing, but it is true some pick it up much quicker than others. Its like learning to ride a bike, some pick it up right away, some take a little more time.
Now once you get started I think the most important thing you can remember is, the puddle is God ! It dictates everything you do. Watch the puddle ! Once you get started you'll understand what i mean by that.

If you don't have it, get this book it'll help you a ton !

Welders Handbook: a complete guide to mig, tig, arc & oxyacetylene welding by Richard Finch you can find it at amazon.com
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote