MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Steering Gear Problem, PLEASE HELP

I posted this earlier but obviosly nobody had an answer. Just in case theres' someone else that can close their eyes and see the steering gear in the 2001 GT Mustang in their head...I recently replaced the outer tie rods on the car after I had 10.5 tires on the front of the car (which was a mistake), now I have 9" tires but I'm still getting a ratcheting sound when I turn, especially when the car is not moving. I parked the car earlier and found that I can leave the wheel slightly turned but the wheels are sitting straight. I think that the problem may be up inside the steering column because the tie rods did not get rid of the noise or slight pulsation and very noticeable popping sound, particularly when I turn with the clutch depressed. I don't wanna take the car to Ford to have them pull it apart and charge me $3,000 without fixing anything, if anyone has any ideas as to why I'm having this steering problem please let me know. Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
1989GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Steering Gear Problem, PLEASE HELP

Did it make the sound prior to replacing the tie rod? Did you get an alignment done after you replaced it? I saw in your other post that the car was in an accident so it could be a number of things.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Have you tried replacing the rack? Could be, if the car has been wrecked, that either a rack or pinion tooth was broken off in the accident. There's not much up in the column that would cause what you describe. A rack isn't more than a few hundred bucks.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

It was much more noticeable after the accident. The car had to be pulled and it had an alignment before I got it back, the sound was there but not AS noticeable...They replaced only one of the tie rods after the accident so I had my mechanic replace both so that they'd wear evenly, THEN I started having problems with it. Yes, he did the wheel alignment after replacing the tie rods, I don't know what it could be...
Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
1989GT
Registered Member

Best thing to do is to get under the car and see if you can find anything obviously wrong... loose bolts, nuts. Jack the car up and see if it'll make the sound with no weight on the tires. Then start checking for play in the steering rack/tie rods etc.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

That reminds me I can prop it up on 13" 3-ton jack stands in the front but I'm not sure exactly where a safe place to set those stands against the bottom of the car is. If it is the rack or pinion that need replacing can I do it without any special equipment?